First time in the course in 30 years......

JimRJimR Posts: 4 Baller
Used to run deep in to 32 off skiing Mens1 competitively, but have not been in a slalom course in 30 years give or take. 52 years old now but still am able to do most of the stuff I used to do "back in the day". Have an invitation to run a slalom course with some guys this week, but am unsure on how to start. Not sure I am interested in long lining, so my thought is to free ski a few turns at 30/15 off, see how that feels and then run the course. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Of all the things I have revisited since my youthful exuberance such as backcountry snowskiing, occasional barefooting and kneeboarding sessions, skateboarding, etc., this is the one that gives me the most pause. There is no "mailing in" a trip through the course and I would prefer not to look like an idiot and be invited back again........Thanks in advance for any input. JimR
klindyThan_BoganBulldogSkoot1123

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,840 Mega Baller
    Don't go to long line use 15 off. I did something similar but a few years younger. I got back in the course after about 20 years off when I was in my early 40s. I ran into 32 off in my late teens and early 20s. Very quickly I was up to 34 mph running into 28 off. I started out on an HO Charger which was a big wide ride ski at 30 mph.

Start by shadowing the balls either turning before them or splashing the buoys. I did ski some open water before jumping back in to the course.
    Mark Shaffer
    Than_BoganWish
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,880 Moderator
    @JimR welcome to BallOfSpray and enjoy your time back in the course!

I would say the one thing would suggest is make sure you start wide when you turn in and don't worry about the gates. It will be more fun to round 6 buoys than beat your head against the gate and 1 ball the whole time. If you miss a buoy keep free skiing. Maximize your time on the water and make sure to have some fun!
    MISkier
  • JimRJimR Posts: 4 Baller
    I appreciate those thoughts. Sounds like I am approaching this the right way so far. I especially like the idea of not worrying about the gates..... Thanks for the input! JimR
  • JimRJimR Posts: 4 Baller
    Good luck to you and I both then! I will be interested to hear how you do.......
  • 76S&S76S&S Posts: 41 Baller
    I'm going with a boat load of co-workers, let's just hope I don't embarrass my self.
    JimR
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 353 Solid Baller
    The main thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself. Don`t worry about embarrassing yourself too much. Most skiers will be more then helpfull getting you back into the swing of things
    2000 Malibu Response LX 67 Radar senate double vector highwraps
    Than_BoganJimRJoepruncWish
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,362 Mega Baller
    I took around 20 years off, 6 years into my comeback. The road back was much slower than I envisioned but I've had a great time. I was missing skiing plus I needed a reason to get in shape.
    JimR76S&S
  • JoepruncJoeprunc Posts: 221 Baller
    If you don't want to look like a fool and want to be invited back follow these rules:
    1) Be humble, appreciative, and happy. You aren't going to ski like you did 20/30 years ago, but I bet you can have just as much fun.
    2) Help boat owner out. Prep, wipe down, and while one the water (driver shouldn't have to get off his/her seat unless he is getting in the water).
    3) Bring gas or $ for gas.

Like others have said, -15' depending on the ski size and boat 30mph - 32mph and recommend open water skiing first. If you can't open water ski, just shadow buoys and make 6 turns. Once you feel like rounding balls, go for 1,2 and 5,6
    Than_BoganMISkier
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,840 Mega Baller
    @Joeprunc gives some great advice on how to be a good guest. One thing I would add is bring gas if you can instead of just money. I always love getting gas so I don't have to go buy it.
    Mark Shaffer
    Than_Bogan
  • 76S&S76S&S Posts: 41 Baller
    That's awesome Jim, I can't wait to get my turn this afternoon!
    MattPThan_Bogan