Nautique 200 running rough

SteveoSteveo Posts: 43 Baller
One of my ski partners 200 sits outside on a lift with a boat cover. Occasionally after a big rainstorm the boat won't run, it pops and sputters. Their normal course of action is to drain the fuel tank and FCC often finding water in the gas. I have noticed the fuel tank vent is one of those circular ones which is open all the way around. Could rainwater be making its way in through the fuel vent even though there is a cover on the boat? Being that the boat is outside and used year round how often should the FCC filter be changed?

Comments

• JordanJordan Posts: 841 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Well, if you are finding water in the gas, that's likely how it's getting in there.
  • elrelr Posts: 215 Mega Baller
    When was the last time the distributor cap and rotor were changed?
    Ed Rink - LSF Texas
    ScottScott
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 572 Crazy Baller
    How much water? Possible condensation inside the tank from temp swings and high humidity?
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 452 Solid Baller
    I think water would have a better chance getting in the fuel cap. Check the gasket or replace the cap.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,573 Mega Baller
    Also possibility that it is running into the tank through a bad fuel sender gasket - from water that is getting on the top of the tank.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    @Killer - I had a Nautique that was in the same environment and had the same symptoms - chased the fuel system for quite a while [OP says "often finding water in the gas"]. Fix was the distributor cap and rotor.
    Ed Rink - LSF Texas
  • SteveoSteveo Posts: 43 Baller
    @elr ski partner drained fuel tank discovered water. Filled with fresh fuel runs fine. Going to check fuel cap tomorrow.@oldjeep is fuel sender on top of tank?
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,573 Mega Baller
    Fuel sender is on the top of any tank I've ever seen.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,195 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2
    @elr -i don't think you will find a distributor cap and rotor on a Nautique 200. (disclaimer: i could be wrong cause i was one other time.)
  • GaryWilkinsonGaryWilkinson Posts: 267 Baller
    Doubt very much there's a distributor cap and rotor. CC phased those out not long after 1997 I believe.
    I need to ski back to the handle obviously.
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 438 Baller
    edited September 2
    My 2009 196 has dustributor cap and rotor. Just replaced them.
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 452 Solid Baller
    Hopefully it's not a ski partner bringing bad gas.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,359 Mega Baller
    I think all 5.7 have a distributor. The 6.0 and 6.2 I've seen didn't.
    Yes 5.7 engines have a cap and rotor. @Steveo - happy you found the cause of your issue.
    Ed Rink - LSF Texas