Driving the Bumblebee ProStar

HortonHorton Posts: 23,512 Administrator
edited September 2 in Boat Talk
I have never really thought of myself as a very good boat driver. I largely avoided the driver seat for any skier at my level or above. Part of that is because until 4 years ago I never had my own boat to drive and there were always better drivers around. So why should I drive?

When I started driving the Bumblebee ProStar I was a little worried. It is so different than any of the boats I had driven very much. After pulling a bunch of rides this last week, I get it. Holy crap not only is the ProStar easy to drive in the course but I no longer really suck behind the wheel. I pulled @ColeGiacopuzzi ½ down 39 last night and it was easy. Wait! Not only was it easy but he said it felt good!

I never thought I would pull an open skier into 39 @ 36 mph without the need to counter steer a lot. With the ProStar I move the wheel SO much less than previous boats I have driven much.

The other thing that blows my mind is the visual from the drivers seat. Because the boat is super wide and the driver sits way right in the boat, it feels like you are almost running over the right hand boat guides. It is strange the first time you drive it but it is extremely easy find your path and put the pylon right in the middle.

Needless to say I am stoked with the new boat.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

sunvalleylawchris55foxriveratDWBroussardschaferJordanRogerBG1BulldogaussiemcricoGaryWilkinsonkingshredd

Comments

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,810 Crazy Baller
    I'm still trying to find that wheel to put on my boat. Love the way the wheel is light
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 769 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2
    I have found a couple visual cues on the Prostar, line up the right glove box edge, the right edge of the bow cover curve, or just pretend my right foot is stepping on the boat guides. It's easy to hold the boat path, with any of those, but I suppose visual cues using the bow may be a little height and dominant eye specific
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,031 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    I went by @Horton 's lake and saw his boat. (He conveniently was not there to pull me for a ride on one of his skis behind the sweet new boat.) Now, I've been trying to get Mastercraft to give me a damaged or unsaleable hull to experiment with. The boat looked great but the color scheme was ... interesting. I'm thinking that boat was meant for me (to grind on) based on the colors.

My beloved American Skier was orange and yellow. It's white Imron now. I hope Mastercraft knows that I can fix anything. @Horton , take care of that boat for me!

Will I get banned for my color preferences?

Eric

FWIW I did not get to see the boat uncovered or the interior. But I will still pick on @Horton .
    DirtBruce_Butterfield
  • JordanJordan Posts: 841 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Horton we nerd a video tour of the new boat and some action shots of the wake!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,512 Administrator
    @Jordan I expect a video to be published Wednesday

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Jordan
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,465 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I love pulling 36 mph skiers in the ProStar!
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    schafer