Conditions at Worlds

HortonHorton Posts: 23,517 Administrator
edited September 5 in Breaking News
I spoke to the parent of one of the skiers at Worlds this morning. The assessment is that the site in Paris is clearly worse than The Masters or Moomba and worse than any World Cup Stop in recent memory. Rollers, sporadic wind and cold.
There are 2 ways to see this.

Conditions at Worlds 114 votes

The conditions are theoretically the same for all skiers so it is a far contest. The best skiers will prevail on the day.
54%
skidawgthagerskibugdislandslowanimalJack KinnePSMKelvinKillerAndreMattPDragovgeorgeLazEd_JohnsonBulldogMrs_MSlottawattalpskier 62 votes
The conditions are ridiculous and it is an insult to the skiers.
45%
HortonISP6ballscotchipmanChad_ScottChef23RichardDoanelcarnesjhughesThan_BoganbrodyMAD11dave2ballraynPat Mbishop8950seks69trishel41NandomjnelsonIlivetoski 52 votes

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Comments

• RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,164 Mega Baller
    Conditions can certainly impact the end result and it is unfortunate if you have highly variable conditions but at the end of the day you need to expect that. When you register for a tournament you do so understanding that this is an outdoor sport and mother nature will do what she will. If you can't come to play regardless of conditions then you yield advantage to the rest of the field. You always prefer glass but you need to be prepared to throw down in a 20mph wind while it's snowing and the sun is in your eyes.
    j2nh
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 572 Crazy Baller
    It's an outdoor sport. Conditions vary. Adversity is interesting. I don't particularly like when the Packers have to play on that awful turf at Soldier Field, but it is what it is and makes whipping the Bears even more enjoyable.
    WaterSkier12j2nhOne_Skijhughes
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 607 Crazy Baller
    The conditions are theoretically the same for all skiers so it is a far contest. The best skiers will prevail on the day.
    I have less sympathy for wind and cold weather ... Bad site conditions are tough, but it's not as if there is a horde of potential LOCs tripping all over each other to host big events like this. Beggars can't be choosy.
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 607 Crazy Baller
    Are we really sure the conditions are all that bad? After all, the IWSF's website calls the venue a "Perfect Paris setting."
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,517 Administrator
    edited September 5
    Based on the scores so far I would say the conditions are VERY bad. Mens Slalom scores

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

JweberKillerBG1
    @Than_Bogan If I understand correctly even if the weather was perfect, the lake is massively rolly and not a proper ski site. Some light wind could actually make the water conditions better.

WaterSkier12
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,619 Mega Baller
    @Horton That would certainly be different, and -- if true -- render it an inappropriate venue for the event.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • klindyklindy Posts: 1,910 Mega Baller
    Robbins Lake and the Yarra river have has tournaments there for years. The conditions are well known and the expectations are known.

As bad as the scores are, having different "series" ski a couple days apart make the whole argument that the conditions are the same for everyone pretty much worthless. They may be for the skiers in the series but all the series are competing for a limited number of finals slots.

Hopefully there are tens of thousands of people on the shore watching. There have been lots of sites with questionable conditions that have hosted "high exposure" events.

There should be some type of vetting process before a bid is accepted. Even if it's the only bid.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    HortonBill22MattPWish
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,311 Crazy Baller
    Like @klindy says, does the site provide access to lots of spectators, like Moomba? If so then is backwash an issue that can be addressed? Can't change the weather.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,812 Crazy Baller
    edited September 5
    @klindy I'm with you - high exposure venues with well run events so long as the athletes are game for it is how you get exposure. 4 ball tournaments under the lights on small lakes aren't the norm but might draw a crowd. But don't really set meaningful scores.

Maybe more odd events that the competitors had to think about their equipment and prepare themselves for adverse conditions could be interesting. Consider downhill skiers don't run the same skis in all conditions, why do waterskiers?
  • DanEDanE Posts: 782 Crazy Baller
    I wanted to vote for both options
    Mrs_MS
  • AndreAndre Posts: 683 Crazy Baller
    If you look at skiers list ,It's not like the best skiers have ski yet either...
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,148 Crazy Baller
    I need to change my answer.

This is Worlds. Skiers train for two years for one round. It shouldn't be on a lake that is really bad.
    edited September 5
    I have had contact with a few top skiers since I posted this thread. Here are some excerpts

The nature of random waves moving side to side at differing speeds and heights means that the course will never, ever be the same for two skiers........ We understand this when we go compete for money at Moomba. However, this is WORLDS!

It’s a complete and utter disgrace that two years of our work should come down to chance and not skill.

the 'best-skier-in-rollers' will win, not the 'best skier'

klindyMrs_MSBG1Marco
  • klindyklindy Posts: 1,910 Mega Baller
    @Horton I can't argue with those comments.

Has there been a top level tournament there before? E&A Champs or higher?
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    HortonMattP
    @klindy the word is that the French federation and the IWWF say the site is fine :-)

• thagerthager Posts: 3,787 Mega Baller
    Might be a strategy for the home team to equalize the field. Not much different than making a very good quick football team or passing team play in the mud and rain etc.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 342 Baller
    Isn't the world's a bid process? If that is the case was Paris the only country to put a decent bid in the IWWF eyes? Or did they pick who they [IWWF] think Paris was the best choice?
    Dave Macchi / Nautique promo team member
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,053 Crazy Baller
    @neo answer money. football has money and golf has money, why is world's where it is at $$$ $$$ and $$$, oh and mix in a little IWWF politics around their BS bidding process and there you go.

Why a US athlete who is not on the "team" and gets no money from USAWS even bothers to ski in the event is questionable.
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    aupatking
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,286 Historical Baller
    edited September 6
    I talked with one Men slalomer who skied already. In Series 3. He thinks that no one will
    run a full 39, even the winner in Men. Also talked to one of the appointed judges, who says
    that the backwash-absorbing devices do work somewhat. And brrr, it looks like the
    temperature will not climb above 70F.
  • MillerTime38MillerTime38 Posts: 239 Solid Baller
    Everyone skis in the same conditions, quit crying and ski
    RazorRoss3HortonAndredrewski32
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,818 Mega Baller
    If I'm not mistaken, the bid process and cash up front to the IWWF are pretty arduous. It seems as though few sites and clubs have interest in hosting the event, and there is little opportunity to turn a profit, much less break even.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    jcamp