Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conditions at Worlds

Comments

• EdbrazilEdbrazil Historical Baller Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Regina has regularly posted distances of 170 and more. 178 at this year's Masters, which
    is a site with busy water. But, quite a feat to ski well after all the delay.
    After the Men Slalom prelims, a prediction by one of them is still holding. That is, he
    predicted that no one would run 39 off.
  • bwreinkebwreinke Baller Posts: 10 Baller
    The conditions are theoretically the same for all skiers so it is a far contest. The best skiers will prevail on the day.
    Putting these events on private controlled environments isn't the answer either. Individuals shouldn't be concerned with running pb's. Sure we'd all love to watch 41 go down, but I'm more interested in seeing who can handle terrible conditions and get through 38. It's a change and I completely dig it.

Later.
    Bryan Reinke hosports.com #WaterskiColorado
    jayskiMattPALPJrkeithh2oskier
  • MAD11MAD11 Crazy Baller Posts: 578 Crazy Baller
    The conditions are ridiculous and it is an insult to the skiers.
    Watched the webcast this morning for slalom. Sure looked like ridiculous conditions. I will say you don't often see Nate get crushed and blow the tail like he did on a massive roller, or top guys doing 28 off starts. If that's the stuff they were going for with this event they are succeeding. Not sure that's what I wanted to watch though.
    aupatkingBG1WaterSkier12
  • HortonHorton Administrator Posts: 27,571 Administrator
    edited September 2017
    @eleeski I will bid for World's right after you do.

Your accusations about Bakersfield are hysterically stupid. We simply don't have more than a handful of people that are committed to skiing and those handful of people work their butts off doing what they can for the good of the sport.
    Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

aupatkingWaterSkier12
    News just posted: Today's Men Series 2 & 1 postponed for safety reasons. Wonder if it
    is wind or some other reason.
    scotchipman
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Mega Baller Posts: 1,816 Mega Baller
    The conditions are theoretically the same for all skiers so it is a far contest. The best skiers will prevail on the day.
    A couple ways to look at this:

Roll with it.

Yes, everyone has the same conditions so conditions are "even" across the board though there could be subtle differences with wind and sun being a factor.

For the competitors and those attending it is a bummer they may see their favorite skier fall or get bounced out by a roller. In the sense of great competition it may not be the best, but as someone who was looking forward to the Malibu Open and it being canceled, I would rather watch a tournament than not.
    It's not the same for everybody because series 1 & 2 skied a couple of days after everybody else.

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

freeski41
  • eleeskieleeski Infinite Pandas Posts: 3,844 Infinite Pandas
    edited September 2017
    Sorry @Horton . And I do know the hard working people in Bakersfield. Thanks to all of them (and I count you as one of them).

Why do I hear so often that "Nationals will never come back!"?

Eric
    @eleeski I am not an owner at Ski West or at Paradise so I can not speak to the situation with the two lakes that have hosted Nationals previously in Bakersfield.

When are you going to put your bid in for Nationals for your lake?

• andjulesandjules Crazy Baller Posts: 814 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2017
    This thread encourages black-and-white thinking. I think it's a little more nuanced than that. To the extent that random roller patterns mean it's NOT the same for each skier, yes, that's a problem. But less-than-ideal conditions? it's good and bad.

At a tournament in perfect conditions, the only unpredictable part is the mental game: consistency, who is able to perform on a given day, under pressure. There's the occasional upset, but over a bunch of such tournaments, we get a sense of where the top skiers stand in relation to each other.

At a tournament in challenging conditions, there are more unpredictable elements: whose skillset is more adaptable? Whose mental game is more easily thrown by the disappointing conditions? Some skiers are more disciplined about developing the skills to handle adverse conditions. This Worlds will be particularly hard on skiers who didn't.

As a spectator, the unpredictability and greater chance of upsets adds to the drama. I feel terrible seeing Travers, Neveu and Detrick down in the 30s. But I'm pumped to see two series-3 skiers in the top 6 (who the heck is Marek Mlynek and where did he learn to run 3 @ -39 in rollers?)
    ALPJrkeithh2oskierBruce_Butterfield
  • UWSkierUWSkier Mega Baller Posts: 1,173 Mega Baller
    It is pretty crazy to see the list of names who didn't even make it through 35 off...
  • MattPMattP Mega Baller Posts: 5,991 Mega Baller
    I was watching some video. Looked like some strong wind straight down the course throwing some pretty big rollers. That would mitigate the backwash issues but causes others.
  • KelvinKelvin Mega Baller Posts: 1,142 Mega Baller
    @UWSkier Some of those went out at 32off and opted up to 38off coming back in the headwind.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    UWSkier
  • wskierwskier Baller Posts: 122 Baller
    keith2oskier I was at board stock I help put in the slalom coarse. It was a four bouy coarse after the first round the skiers decide no gates. Jamie B won Beushea won but did not use the gates. Terry Winter went threw gates and lost by a 1/2 bouy. I think all the pros spilt the prize money. I ask Jamie what he thought about the conditions he said any body can ski in perfect conditions. I'd rather ski in front of 100,00 people. They all said it was there favorite tournament ever the place was crazy. Kid rock flew in on a helicopter & right behind him another helicopter flew in with Pamela Anderson. I got about half the skiers back stage to meet him & her. Marcus Brown did a great job getting all the top pros their. Sad to say the organizer Rob Stimmel died in a on his way to his honeymoon plane crash. He met her at board stock, I knew both great people.
    keithh2oskier
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Mega Baller Posts: 6,434 Mega Baller
    @Chad_Scott Are you not driving for worlds? That's almost as insulting to the skiers as the bad conditions! :)

[This is humor, people. I do not know who is actually driving and they are probably awesome.]
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • ntxntx Crazy Baller Posts: 824 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2017
    @Than_Bogan pretty sure you would not recognize the name of any of the 4 or 5 drivers at the event. Maybe Botas or Pigozzi. It gets very political at that level of events. My experience at iwwf events is that some of the drivers are....... Well lets just say that some class c have better pulls. Sad really. Kind of like the site conditions. Maybe the new president of the federatIon can improve things
    Bulldog
    Women Slalom just settled. Regina and Whitney had a runoff for 1st place, and yet one
    more runoff, after tying again at 39 off. This may be a record, of sorts, for a Worlds. Not
    a "record" for most tie runoffs, though. Men Slalom at an Orlando Tour stop at OWC had
    to go to something like 4 or 5 runoffs into 41 off. Wade vs. Andy.
  • lpskierlpskier Mega Baller Posts: 2,527 Mega Baller
    I was at that event. Great excitement, ending with Andy having an incredible wreck.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • ALPJrALPJr Mega Baller Posts: 1,859 Mega Baller
    Womens jump seems to be going well.
  • LLUSALLUSA Crazy Baller Posts: 274 Crazy Baller
    @Than_Bogan AWSA has a process you go through to drive Worlds, those drivers that meet requirements must submit their name to IAC for consideration, for this Worlds Lester Todd and Gordon West were the US choices, can't argue with that. It's up to IWWF to choose who they want. I know all of these drivers and they all are very good, excellent Chief in Ricardo Botas.
    LLUSA, Sr Driver, AWSA Board of Directors, Towboat Committee,Lake Owner
    andjulesDUSkierjcamp
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Mega Baller Posts: 2,706 Mega Baller
    Check out the team scores, team Netherlands has list a member School Freak!
    Must be a jumper!

NED Netherlands (50)
    Owel Sabrina*
    School Freek
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• chris55chris55 Solid Baller Posts: 318 Solid Baller
    I am very curious what the athletes think about the conditions. When you come all the way to France across the Atlantic and even further coming from Australia and skiing in these conditions....going down at 38off or missing the first run in final for Marion Costard.....how do they feel aobut it ???? Can they say something ? Did Chris not ski because of the conditions ?
    And last but not least, athletes can injures themselves and could be an issue too.....safety in theses conditions are not very good I think.
    World championship deserve better conditions IMO
    FWinternzguyBG1freeski41
  • kckc Baller Posts: 130 Baller
    @Jody_Seal The listing is by last name first. His name is Freek School! I've seen his name in international events before. Definitely got my attention.
    Jody_Seal