Raw Water Pump Leak

My raw water pump is leaking from the back on my 2008 Response LXi...pump has about 600 hrs on it...875 hrs on the boat Should I replace the whole pump or just the seal?

- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
- Crypto Investing pays for my water ski addiction

Comments

• gregygregy Posts: 2,361 Mega Baller
    edited September 13
    I replaced the seals and bearings on mine a few years ago. I don't remember it being hard. I've seen some info on the internet on how to do it. Mine's the same pump on 1999, still the original.
    scotchipman
  • raynrayn Posts: 333 Baller
    Both me and my ski partner had the same problem on our Response Lx's and went the new pump route. Just seemed foolproof for us.
    Ray Newmark -
    Bruce_Butterfieldscotchipman
  • JJVDMZNJJVDMZN Posts: 127 Baller
    Replace the seals as well as the 2 bearings, the water has gone through the bearings so they're going to seize. Replacing the bearings and seals are much cheaper than the whole pump.
    scotchipman
  • spicolispicoli Posts: 109 Baller
    Is there a mechanical seal in there with ceramic surfaces
    tdusin
  • JordanJordan Posts: 841 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Here is an instruction set on rebuilding a raw water pump....just make sure to get the correct part numbers for your specific pump....call Skidim.
    JJVDMZNscotchipman
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 570 Crazy Baller
    Just replace it. Might cost a bit more, but will last longer in the long run.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,812 Crazy Baller
    I've always rebuilt but you do need a small press. I've also used my late to polish the shaft etc. If you do replace I'd send you shipping for the old one ;)
    scotchipman
  • AndreAndre Posts: 683 Crazy Baller
    Bearings and seals from Skidim.Way cheaper!
    Easy job too.
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,654
    Thanks guys. Will think it over. @BraceMaker what kind of small press do I need if I rebuild?
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Crypto Investing pays for my water ski addiction
    Someone handy could do it with a big vise...Again not a complicated job.
    BraceMakerJordan
    Its like @Andre said - you can do these sorts of things with a large bench vice, or a small arbor press or hydraulic press or even quill of a drill press (still a press) - its a run what you brung type scenario, however be aware that the reason so many people on waterski forums say "just replace the whole thing" is that just like any project with bearings and seals if you press them in wrong it will leak, if you press the bearing crooked or mar the shaft it will wobble and then again it will leak at which point you will swear, and buy a new pump and think you wasted 60 bucks and the time.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,575 Mega Baller
    The other fun thing that can happen is that the pump bases sometimes corrode to the balancer /pulley and you break it trying to get it off. Nice to have a complete pump handy when that happens.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    edited September 13
    nice - i want his used pump so keep up the good work!

Drago
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,361 Mega Baller
    Seems like I got bearings and seal at the local bearing shop.
  • spicolispicoli Posts: 109 Baller
    That one looks easier the pcm pump is easy to bend pulley when pressing shaft out
  • LarsLars Posts: 88 Baller
    edited September 14
    double post
    edited September 14
    double post
    edited September 14
    double post
    @Andre what are you seeing for price? I'm coming up with just under $100 for parts, vs 192 for the whole thing, which is why I just replaced mine.
  • kingshreddkingshredd Posts: 136 Baller
    That is exactly where mine was leaking this year on my 1992 California Skier with a 351 Indmar. I replaced the whole unit.
    @Lars
    I m in Canada so the new pump was more like 350 to my door and a rebuilt is as good as a new IMO.
    Plus i like working on that kind of repair and the difference in price mean more money for gas,gloves,vest,rope or handle.
    I m not rich so i save money when i can...
    5 years since rebuilt not a drop of leaking water...
    Jordan
    @Andre at $350, I would probably figure out how to do the rebuild too.