Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zero Off Conversion

bojansbojans Posts: 191 Baller
I know this has been talked about before but I cannot find the threads. What does it take to upgrade a 196 to ZO?
2006 - is it possible, if so what does it take
2007 - I know it is possible, but is it any different than 2008 and beyond, what is required'
Any help appreciated as we are currently in the market.
@Jody_Seal ?
customski

Comments

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 877 Crazy Baller
    About $5-7K if you don't have the correct ECM. Stick to a late 2007 and up and it will be plug n play and about $1500.
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,306 Mega Baller
    Try Tim at Inboard Solutions. I did my 02 in 2010.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    walleye
  • bojansbojans Posts: 191 Baller
    @thager I can't find any info on him. The website comes up as a condom club.
    MSdchristmanWoodySkier
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,426 Mega Baller
    06 conversion, 07 plug and play for the most part. Early 07 E-control ECM's may need re flashed / updated from Pleasurecraft marine.
    $5-$6K for a conversion of pre 2006 PCM engine's. $3-$4K for a 06.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

walleye
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,306 Mega Baller
    @bojans Tim White is owner of Inboard Solutions. www dot inboardfix dot com
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    walleyebojanstdusin
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,230 Mega Baller
    @Jody_Seal , are your September '17 estimates still about right? Pre-2006 Response?
    Those estimates are still close but also those estimates are based off of converting Pleasurecraft marine engines. maybe some one else can chime in on what it takes for and Indmar Malibu.
    Reminder, No mater who marinized the engine as long as the engine is a 96 or newer Vortec chevy 5.7 it can be converted, the pocket book is the only constraint.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

aupatking
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,855 Mega Baller
    @Jody_Seal where would one go to purchase components from econtrols? I've been very curious about it but cannot seem to locate actual vendors selling parts.
    Jody_Seal
    You can only purchase the ZO unit from E-control. The PCM componets can be purchased from either my self , Inboard solutions or a PCM Dealer if you know what you need .

tdusin
    Thoughts on wiring harnesses and TBI throttle bodies?
    edited July 12
    @BraceMaker
    Yea remove it and install a full Excalibur induction system if you want ZO.
    http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mercruiser-volvo-penta-crusader-intake-manifold-2008-current-p-4576.html

But it won't fit a indmar 350 pre 96 non vortec
    Nope, need a crank sensor and vortec heads.
    Not saying impossible but defiantly a challenge to convert a pre 96 non vortec engine..

• marknmarkn Posts: 146 Baller
    Jody is the ZO conversion KING. Jody converted my 2004 Limited 196 way back in 2009 and it has worked flawlessly since installation. Thanks again Jody!! MWN
    DaveD
  • DWDW Posts: 1,853 Mega Baller
    As Jody noted, the GM small block cylinder heads changed in 1996 to the Vortecs. The intake manifold to cylinder head bolt pattern changed. You can get parts to fit, there are intake manifolds that carry both or the other bolt pattern to update a pre '96 setup, the cylinder heads are the key element in the ~ 35 hp power bump in that era.
    @DW so if one could get a CPS signal and adapt the intake runner about any chevy small block could go ZO.
  • DWDW Posts: 1,853 Mega Baller
    @BraceMaker : In theory, yes. Not sure how the pre Vortec heads would mesh with the ZO calibration, probably okay but the throttle needs would actually be different due to less airflow and different response. As Jody notes, going with the correct heads would make sense, and you can get them from a junkyard these days. I don't know the calibration tables used for ZO, you might want to know how the specific inputs are used in the software before you jump off that bridge as you would need to match those up.

People may not remember nor care, the old Accuski system allowed you to write your own calibration map.
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 270 Baller
    @Jody_Seal - has anyone ever converted a Chevy LS1 to Zero off ?