What were your "firsts" this year?
Of course, everyone is aiming for the next PB, but what other notable milestones did you reach this year?
For me, I try to find some bright spots when I haven't reached the score I want. It also helps me remember my overall enjoyment of the sport.
1. Driving a skier into mid 41 off at 36 mph at a tournament (@CaleBurdick
with [email protected]
at the Tivoli Tidal Wave).
2. Running 28 off at 34 mph as an opener at a tournament - accidentally. The boat judge did not set the rope correctly. I had never done that before, not even in practice. Oddly, it wasn't even a scramble - I just felt a little narrow and wondered why it seemed to be a little more work.
3. Running 22 off at 36 mph as an opener at a tournament - on purpose. The main reason I did this is that my back was killing me that day and I didn't feel like I could run any extra passes - or any passes, really.
4. Getting a look at my "wall pass" in all three rounds of a tournament. Was also my highest average for a tournament.
5. Competing in double digit number of tournaments this calendar year.
6. Reaching Level 7 in my age division.
7. Skiing in the pouring rain at the State Championship and completing some of my best passes ever in it. Tripped up, again, by the "wall pass".
I did increase my 34 mph PB by one buoy, but didn't make any headway at 36 mph.
Still left on the table:
Running my "wall pass" at 34 mph at a tournament - I'm at 4 ball and I run it a few times a year in practice.
Running my "wall pass" at 36 mph at a tournament - that stands at 5 ball.
Qualifying for Nationals.
The tournaments are over in Michigan for the year. Looking to next season.
The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.