Is this a better way to do the Ski Reviews?

HortonHorton Posts: 23,672 Administrator
edited September 25 in Ski Tests
Below is a fast and dirty re-review of the Denali C65. I actually missed some key points about the ski but the questions is - Do you like ski reviews in this form better than written text.

Is this a better way to do the Ski Reviews? 106 votes

Yes this is better
23%
slowEdmundBoneHeadbajaJörgen JanssonEd_JohnsonlakeaustinskierlpskierwawaskrTexas6david_skiSkoot1123BraceMakerJibboozskismalorSRAY1HockdogFehlindra keithh2oskier 25 votes
No the written is better
61%
thagerDWDaveDmopowpowmlangeskibugdislandkpickettAlberto SoaresChef23RichardDoanevtjcRpc29RobKillertjmThan_BoganGarnskialexBulldog 65 votes
It is all about the same
15%
PSMskinutskiboynyGaryWilkinsongregyDaveLemonsVONMANAkBobsavaiusiniDkLkSkrRivvyriplashScottScottS1PittsObrienslalomAPB 16 votes

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Comments

• thagerthager Posts: 3,815 Mega Baller
    No the written is better
    Being ADHD I only made it to 01:25. Squirrel!!!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    ozski
  • slowslow Posts: 257 Baller
    Yes this is better
    The video review with some skiing footage included as well would be best.
    keithh2oskier
  • LanceHCookLanceHCook Posts: 10 Baller
    I'd like both.
    BG1
  • BoozeBooze Posts: 277 Baller
    Both are useful.

Is it just me or does Horton have a comical flare, like he could be a stand-up comedian or satirist? So the video has a certain entertainment element.
    :)

• dhofertdhofert Posts: 154 Baller
    I would like the video in addition to the written as well. I can't always watch the videos depending where I am, and I also have a short attention span.
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 631 Crazy Baller
    No the written is better
    But maybe with practice.
    I like that you've got a consistent structure to your written reviews, and this seemed more like a collection of idiosyncratic thoughts. Interesting, but not as helpful.
    On the other hand, Buford is thoroughly entertaining.
    HortonThan_BoganS1Pitts
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,053 Crazy Baller
    No the written is better
    both
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,844 Crazy Baller
    edited September 25
    Yes this is better
    Saying yes from the perspective that I think you can do more with the video review in regards to reaching audiences. For instance you might reach people who are searching youtube, or have your video posted on other forums.

The written reviews I think are more hidden.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,378 Mega Baller
    It is all about the same
    Both. I said same only because there was no option for both.
  • DaveLemonsDaveLemons Posts: 265 Solid Baller
    It is all about the same
    Post video of your nest review first. Let us gat a feel for what a real version would be and then post the written version. I like the video and think it will actually be a better way to express how the ski feels
    davestaxidermystudio.com
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,059 Crazy Baller
    No the written is better
    Like the others said. I like the written, but some vid with some skiing in it would be a cool addition.
  • mlangemlange Posts: 145 Baller
    No the written is better
    Both. I like it written so I can search on keywords easier. I like this because you're elaborating a bit more.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,632 Mega Baller
    No the written is better
    @thager SQUIRREL!!? WHERE!?
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    thagerGaryWilkinson
  • pgmoorepgmoore Posts: 175 Baller
    No the written is better
    I think the written review is good material for reference down the road. But... the video supplement is an awesome addition.

I vote for both!
    Patrick Moore
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 320 Solid Baller
    It is all about the same
    Both are good. As @mlange said, the keyword search in written form is probably pretty useful. I 2nd @jipster43 's thought on the video, Manon or some of the other female skiers would make for a better visual version.
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,855 Mega Baller
    Yes this is better
    Damn @jipster43 beat me to my suggestion.

I like both formats. One complements the other.

BD is too cute to truly be @Horton 's. What does the UPS man in his neighborhood look like?
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    S1PittsMattPjipster43MS
  • WishWish Posts: 6,768 Mega Baller
    edited September 26
    Maybe the mid review can be a video. Usually you have good things to say about most skis at that point. Would certainly be a shorter video for @thager and others. The written reviews are good and reviewable at any point. Videos would be harder to find the points you want to search out on any particular ski.

What you added in the vid I liked and feel the same:

-Wide enough...yep
    -Allows skier to easily be more technical and calm..yep and I over skid it initially
    -Never an out the front despite the deceiving flat look...yep, continuos rocker I believe
    -It's a different ski, strange product...yep and it shows in really good meaningful ways
    -Smooth...yep auto pilote
    -Customer support..yep. Andy was the closest I know of that had as much personal care for skiers on his skis.
    Buford Danger is cute...yep and then some.

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    Than_Boganthageraupatking
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,856 Mega Baller
    No the written is better
    I like the written reviews but I also really enjoyed the video. I like the idea of maybe a short mid video or both a written and video review.

I love having BD in the videos.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ObrienslalomObrienslalom Posts: 40 Baller
    It is all about the same
    Which way do you prefer to do it? Both have their merits.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,325 Crazy Baller
    edited September 26
    No the written is better
    I liked the written. Some skiing video and brief comments during the review would be good too.
  • LanceHCookLanceHCook Posts: 10 Baller
    Never ask a question you don't know the answer to.

Dumbass.

Yes, you have created more work for yourself, but both formats are helpful, the video brought up different points than the written and Buford adds a great new dimension.
    DaveD
  • Fehlindra Fehlindra Posts: 183 Baller
    Yes this is better
    Refers to @BraceMaker post and you can chime in timestamp from an testskiing video where you describe what you liked or disliked in different segment of the course and maybe what the feel was on different ropelength... im going to try this ski out
  • vtjcvtjc Posts: 136 Baller
    No the written is better
    Horton thanks for doing these reviews!

I don’t think this video is comparable to a parsed written review. This video seems to be more free form; some comments about the ski, follow up to feedback on the written review and discussions with Denali staff. A better comparison may be made with a video in which your following a script.

I think either way people like your thoughtful comments on the products. The delivery method video or text likely maters less than what you say.
    Wish
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 581 Crazy Baller
    Yes this is better
    I like this better because I am more of a visual in person kind of learner. However, as cute as b danger is, I have 2 young daughters and gets distracting. Find mom, or give her the iPhone:) Great notes on the ski tho!
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,209 Crazy Baller
    edited September 26
    No the written is better
    so far every written review has been prefaced with a video of the ski in action so having access to both is obviously better coverage of the important info. to me this question is like my cellular carrier asking me if i'd like them to reduce the area of non roaming coverage they give me but still charge the same fees.
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 229 Baller
    No the written is better
    I really love your written reviews and the video is absolutly great as well. So like others, the best is both. So more work for you.
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 784 Crazy Baller
    No the written is better
    The written review gives me something of a reference, to go back and look at. Especially for new skiers, on old equipment, to understand the Ski for them. I don't need to ride the thing, to help get it set up for them, knowing the skis tendencies, and the riders, your old reviews have been invaluable.
    I like the format, and breakdown of, wake to ball, turn, ball to wake. I believe it's very helpful.
    I also think that pinning them, as @Than_Bogan suggested is good, as well as locking them down to advanced topics for those qualified to throw down their input/setup. I'm guilty of tailing on the latest Vapor review, looking for setup thoughts. That would probably be better suited for the 2018 Vapor thread, rather than the review.