Weight bags for boat

bojansbojans Posts: 159 Baller
What are you guys using for weights to level the boat? We used to use gas cans filled with sand but those slide around. I have seen some really nice bags that must be filled with some type of shot. Any idea where to get these?

Comments

• lottawattalottawatta Posts: 117 Baller
    I have 50 pound bags from leadwake. Work great, dont move, lay flat, nothing hard to stub your toe on. www.leadwake.com
    MattPTreb
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 452 Solid Baller

• scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,653
    Lead Wake is what I bought this year and love it.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Crypto Investing pays for my water ski addiction
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,412 Mega Baller
    I have 2 of these 50 lb ones like @skierjp posted above. Close up of the label has phone number to order them
    Jim Ross
  • DWDW Posts: 1,541 Crazy Baller
    @skierjp : description / part number / source?
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 452 Solid Baller
    @dw look at previous post
  • DWDW Posts: 1,541 Crazy Baller
    @skierjp : You mean I should have been reading instead of looking at the shiny pictures, who wouda' thought, LOL! (and I am well past High School...) Thx.
    skierjpBulldog
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,195 Crazy Baller
    Yeah those vinyl weight bags are nice but if you are no where near michigan and don't want to pay shipping on a couple of 50 lb packages you can buy these bags on ebay - military canvas tool bags -
    and fill them with washed gravel from your local home depot. each canvas bag will take exactly one 60 lb bag of gravel and they last pretty much forever. they are smaller than they look too.
  • TELTEL Posts: 115 Baller
    I bought 3 canvas bags on sale at harbor freight think they were $4 each. If your from the Orlando area you know the store Sky-Craft they were selling 35lb boxes of wood screw for $10 each, emptied each box into bags. they do not slide around at all and 35lbs is easy to move in and out of the boat.
    Wish
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 833 Mega Baller
    @mwetskier the leadwake.com website says free shipping anywhere in the continental US. I wish I would have known about them before I bought my 50 pound calibration weights - painful toe stubbers even though I have them painted bright orange.
    Patience is the key to Joy.
    Gloersen
  • rq0013rq0013 Posts: 536 Baller
    Im in need of some weight bags as well. Brooks said Radar will be making them and should be available soon.
    Rob Quetschke
  • theboardingschooltheboardingschool Posts: 46 Water Ski Industry Professional
    The Lead Wake bags are awesome! Highly recommend.
    WaterSkier12
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,195 Crazy Baller
    @dchristman -good to know about the free shipping from leadwake. however i'm pretty sure a good number of bos members do not live in the united states, and for them the ebay tool bags will undoubtedly be much cheaper. every major hardware store in the world is likely to sell gravel, along with other sources such as construction sites and landscaping suppliers.
    dchristman
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 607 Crazy Baller
    edited October 3
    Wake Ballast was a sponsor of the 2017 Eastern Regionals, so that should probably earn them some points. If you patronize them, please tell them that their sponsorship was a factor in your buying decision.
    Pat MMattP
  • JohnCoxJohnCox Posts: 355 Crazy Baller
    I have an old 50# elevator weight. I coated it with rubber and put carpet on the bottom. Works great.
    Mapple T2
    www.mappleskis.com
    thagerdvskier
  • marknmarkn Posts: 82 Baller
    I am cheap. I just buy 25 or 50 lb. bags of water softener salt...and they even have a carrying handle. MWN
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,573 Mega Baller
    I have now come to the conclusion that skiers are both the cheapest and pickiest bunch in the world. Seriously - 50lbs on one side of the boat makes a difference in your skiing? We have more of a difference than that depending on which position (driver or spotter) that my father in-law and brother in-law pick. If this is seriously an issue I can't figure out why nobody has installed a ballast tank and auto leveling controller behind the spotter seat. This would take the average monkey maybe a weekend to figure out and a 4 banana shade tree howler money maybe a couple hours.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    eleeskiWaterSkier12skiinxs
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,573 Mega Baller
    @markn - ok, I gotta ask. where in the world do you find 25 and 50 lb bags of softener salt? They are either 40 or 80 here
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    mmosley899
  • BroussardBroussard Posts: 278 Baller
    @oldjeep MasterCraft has had an "MTS Training System" to counterweight the boat for years.
    Andre Broussard - Louisiana
    WaterSkier12eyepeeler
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 203 Baller
    A level boat is important to me as a driver and as a slalom skier. It makes a difference in the wake crossing from side to side, especially at the slow speed at which I ski (30.4 mph). An extra little wake bounce may make the difference between my making or not making the next buoy at my shortest line length. Since a level boat is so easy to achieve, why not do it. In my SN200, one 50lb bag properly placed levels the boat no matter who is driving/riding. It takes very little effort or time to get it placed properly, and it is infinitely adjustable. A level boat also drives better. A level boat responds more consistently to pulls from either side, and the driver's sight picture is more consistent. Or so it seems to me.
    WaterSkier12skiinxsBroussardeyepeeler
  • NandoNando Posts: 339 Baller
    A balanced boat also drives and tracks better. Back in the pre-speed control days I really insulted a very large (not tall) boat timer by adding like 100 lbs. of weight to my side of the boat before driving the event. The guy didn't speak to me the whole time and pretty much glared at me during about a 30-skier event, but better than giving the skiers a crappy pull.
    skiinxsBroussardeyepeeler
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 326 Crazy Baller
    Agree with @Nando boats absolutely need to be level to drive, track, and TURN correctly as well as having a balanced wake for the skier.
    dbutchereyepeeler
  • marknmarkn Posts: 82 Baller
    OK, my bad. I did not look closely enough at the bags. You are correct on the weights. My sincere apologies. MWN
  • WaterSkier12WaterSkier12 Posts: 101 Baller
    Just got our leadwake bags, 35 lbs, very nice
  • McgregMcgreg Posts: 2 Baller
    If u live in the Midwest, here is a great value option:
    Menards "70 lb sand in a tube", $2.99 each!
    thager