What type of fish is our ski lake?

I found this fish today in our ski lake, Still Water Lake Estates. Any idea what kind it is? The only fish we have put in the lake are grass carp.
- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
- USI Tech pays for my water ski addiction
kellybrewer

Comments

• CCRSKRCCRSKR Posts: 1 New Baller
    Shad
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,659
    edited September 27
    Thanks! It does look the same as the fish in this link. www.dnr.sc.gov/fish/species/americanshad.htm

Are they good to eat?
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,471 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    We have Bowfin in our ski swamp...they bite!
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    scotchipmanswc5150
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,821 Crazy Baller
    @scotchipman historically yes! might not meet your current culinary expectations
    scotchipman
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,770 Mega Baller
    Agree on the Shad. We have them. They breed in little dugout pots and create lots of food for the bass and other predator fish to grow on.
    scotchipman
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 536 Crazy Baller
    It only takes a year and a body of water will have a good variety of fish never "introduced" before.
    KillerShortenit
  • BoozeBooze Posts: 273 Baller
    That looks like a giant shad. How big was it?
    Throw some largemouth bass in there. They might thrive, and you could have a great ski and fish lake.
    Greg BanishscotchipmanThan_Bogan
    I like that idea @Booze.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,902 Crazy Baller
    Listen to @Booze. He knows fishing as well as skiing.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    elr

Than_BoganSkoot1123Glydon

• swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,625 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    We have biting blue gill in our lake. No vest or rash guard, and your nipple will become prey.
    Scott Calderwood
    6ballsMuskokaKy
    @Booze what type of bass would you suggest for a ski lake in Utah at 4200' that freezes in the winter and gets up to around 80 in the summer?
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 536 Crazy Baller
    Wait a minute, isn't this forum always bashing fishing and fishermen??

The only reason I started taking skiing seriously is because when I moved the fishing on our lake was terrible I decided to spend my time doing the next best thing, skiing.
    ReggieOShortenit
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,621 Mega Baller
    Largemouth bass are incredibly versatile, but there's a chance that smallmouth would do better at that elevation. I'd think a local fish stocking vendor could give you good advice.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    edited September 28
    Also: all kinds of sunfish (which includes largemouth and smallmouth bass) are usually considered mediocre for eating. But I believe bass are the most popular sport fish in the world.
    I'm more interested in fish that are good to eat. :)
    @scotchipman Fair enough! But I think it's broadly true that the better tasting fresh water fish spend a lot of time in deep water (walleye, salmon) or fast moving water (trout, salmon), and so probably wouldn't survive in a ski lake.
    scotchipman
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,471 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @than_bogan blue gills are good eating...just have to clean a lot of 'em. Bass not so much...but are fun to catch. We have an abundance of both in our public lake...as well as northern, walleye, perch, carp.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    swc5150
    I guess in the cold north you eat whatever you can get your hands on! :smile:
    ReggieO
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,362 Mega Baller
    I've eaten a lot bass in my life. They're pretty good fried. One of my favorite ways is scaling and gutting them steaming them with shredded ginger.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 573 Crazy Baller
    Bluegill are some amazing eating fish if you can get into some larger ones. Cleaning the small ones sucks. Bass, not so much for eating but they're fun to catch. Northern are good eating if you know how to remove the Y bones.

Your lake doesn't freeze out, right? Could try stocking Walleye. They can do fine in 80 degree water and will hang out in the deepest spot they can find through winter. They prefer water that's not super silty/muddy.
    scotchipmanswc5150
  • MuskokaKyMuskokaKy Posts: 131 Baller
    Yellow Perch is good eating and can withstand the highs and lows.
    scotchipman
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,625 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Agreed WI Piranha (blue gill) are very tasty, just take a lot of 'em to make a meal, and uneventful to catch.
    Scott Calderwood
    scotchipman
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 573 Crazy Baller
    @swc5150 try with an ultralite pole. Bluegill are the strongest freshwater fish pound for pound when it comes to fighting. With the right pole, they're a riot, and kids love fishing them too.
    6ballsscotchipmanswc5150
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,821 Crazy Baller
    @swc5150 must have some pointy nipples.
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,739 Mega Baller

Three year old lake and the size of this bass suggests we have a good ecosystem. I would also be interested in other kinds of fish. Central Illinois.
    @scotchipman I would think perch would be good in there and if it is deep enough Walleye. Trout would probably survive if you had shade and depth as well.
  • tdusintdusin Posts: 10 Baller
    We have tons of good bass in Cottonwood Lake N

of Denver at 5300 ft
    Than_Bogan
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,054 Crazy Baller
    edited September 29
    Hatchery trout?? An intermountain fish. Might survive winter, pretty good eating. Maybe not AS good as native, but still. And I think your lakes have some flow? Not that that is a necessity. Lots of small lakes are stocked up here in southern Idaho. Not sure how they get along with giant shad and grass carp though.

Not sure how hot your lakes get:

Rainbow Trout
    From a pond fish stocking site in Texas:
    Rainbow trout can be a fun short term game fish to be stocked during the winter. Rainbow trout usually are feed trained and will eat a floating fish food pellet. They will not survive the Texas summer and usually die at 70 degrees, therefore they are a winter only option and must be restocked yearly.
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,054 Crazy Baller
    edited September 29
    delete