Camero Blacktec 1.5 vs Stokes 3/4 Spring Wet Suit 53* Water

skinutskinut Posts: 334 Baller
I have had a Camaro Blacktec 1.5MM full suit that I have been using for the last few years and I decided to order the Stokes 3/4 (covers the knees) this year. Yesterday I was skiing in 53* water and I used each suit during my two sets.

The biggest difference between the two was how warm I felt. The Blacktec kept me nice and comfy. The Stokes, which is about the same thickness, did not keep me as comfortable and I was on the edge of being uncomfortable. The downside to the Camaro is it's durability. Even with a lot of careful handling I still have small nicks and tears in the fabric. The Stokes is much more durable. I prefer the Stokes in a little warmer water because of its durability. As far as cold water comfort goes you can't beat the Camaro. The Stokes seemed to let a little less water in compared to the Camaro but part of that might be due to the age of the Camaro suit.

You can't go wrong with either one. Even though you get wet in the Camaro I prefer that to a baggy drysuit that makes you feel like you wearing a parachute.
dchristmanchris55jipster43

Comments

• skihackerskihacker Posts: 165 Baller
    Does anyone have any thoughts on Eagle's spring suit?
  • B_SB_S Posts: 163 Solid Baller
    You're a tougher man than me! I need a full length 3/2 for that water temp. I did buy a Camero Blacktec 1.5 top about a month ago for chilly mornings and love it. I need a new full length and was checking out the Stokes.
  • skinutskinut Posts: 334 Baller
    @B_S Normally I would wear a drysuit but I really like how the Camaro performs. It's surprising that it keeps me so warm in those temps.
    B_Sjipster43
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,529 Administrator
    @skinut that is a very fair review. I think you nailed it.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• gavskigavski Posts: 113 Baller
    edited September 29
    A 0.5mm neoprene rash vest or the Camaro Titanium Top (https://goo.gl/mxn8h7) will take the warmth of the camaro suit to a new level...

The Camaro Blacktec long sleeve top and the sleeveless (7/8) Camaro long-suit (https://goo.gl/m5xA8P) is an even warmer combo as you have a double layer around your core....the bonus with this set up is if you already have the top, the 7/8 suit is cheaper to buy and converts the top to a longsuit....
    B_S
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,361 Mega Baller
    @skihacker I had a Eagle spring suit. The Camaro stuff has the outside coating that acts as a windbreaker. I don't know if Eagle has this yet but mine didn't and it make it worse than not wearing anything at all because of evaporative cooling effect. The skin are a little delicate on the Camaro but very warm. I have a shorty Camaro now but my back leg fills up with water when I get up so if I get another Camaro it will be full length.
    WoodySkier
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,656
    I wish Camaro would make a suit with short sleeves and legs that go just below the knees.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Crypto Investing pays for my water ski addiction
    Than_Bogankellybrewer
  • mjnelsonmjnelson Posts: 14 Baller
    I love my Blacktec shorty, like @scotchipman would love it even better if the legs went to just below the knees.
    kellybrewer
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 203 Baller
    A couple wraps with a shrink wrap like material or any thin, flexible, plastic wrap around the bottom of the legs will stop the back leg from filling up with water. It comes on a spool with a handle. You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowe's and probably other places. It also protects the wetsuit material from water spray damage. It doesn't put pressure on your leg like a strap will.
    dvskier
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,546
    edited September 30
    Just buy a set of 3/4 length compression shorts to put over the shorty and your good to go. Light weight, and keeps all the water out. Won't even know you have them on.

Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    dbutcherdchristman
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,412 Mega Baller
    Camaro is awesomely warm. I have durability issues. I can't make one last for a MN season without the under side of the arms becoming see through. Tried wearing a thin rash guard over it all the time to see if that would help. It did, but I still got one season before it was toast. If you could get a suit that thin and that warm that was durable - home run!
    Jim Ross
  • gavskigavski Posts: 113 Baller
    @Razorskier1 - try one of these over the TOP of your vest:

https://goo.gl/vSihPE

i have tried various different styles, but found this one to be the best fit/ ease getting on/off. It is slightly thicker than a rash vest, and since using it i have no wear at all on the inside of my Camaro Top arms....

Plus, it is cheap...

i am 5'11 - 185lbs and i use a size M