Trailer bunk carpet

Where is the best place to buy trailer bunk carpet? Looking for black. Thanks
- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
- USI Tech pays for my water ski addiction

Comments

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 575 Crazy Baller
    Bought mine at the Malibu dealer. Nice quality and padding.
    scotchipmanDanE
  • BCMBCM Posts: 149 Baller
    You can find Fulton and CE Smith carpet online (e.g. Amazon, etrailer.com, etc.). I have also picked it up from West Marine.
    scotchipman
  • mdriggsmdriggs Posts: 4 Baller
    Ebay. You can get it longer, wider and cheaper. Very high quality!
    foxriveratscotchipmanoldjeep
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 353 Solid Baller
    2nd ebay is the cheapest for 50ft roll.
    2000 Malibu Response LX 67 Radar senate double vector highwraps
    scotchipman
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,770 Mega Baller
    edited October 3
    I found a place online that sells it by the foot, so just had to cut the roll in half. Watch the weight so it isn't the thinner cheap stuff. If you have an air compressor, its a good time to get a nice air stapler.

ebay.com/itm/Boat-Marine-Bunk-Trailer-Runner-Board-Carpet-12-Wide-/280671104890
    scotchipman
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,580 Mega Baller
    This is the stuff I used on mine - the charcoal 20 oz variety. Price seems to have gone up a bit, I got a 50 ft roll for just under $200 a couple years ago.

20 oz bunk carpet
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • JordanJordan Posts: 842 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,580 Mega Baller
    @Jordan - that is some pretty light carpet 12oz.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • slvrbulitslvrbulit Posts: 146 Baller
    I just installed these slides over my carpet.
    http://surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html
    oldjeepcragginshred
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 437 Solid Baller
    California trailer works. Easy to order, right size, no mucking around..
    scotchipman
  • KillerKiller Posts: 236 Baller
    I used the CE smith carpet, bought on amazon. looks factory, comes in an 18' roll 18" wide I believe. was enough to do both bunks on my single axle trailer with room to spare. Unfortunately it was not enough to do the bow stops or wheel well guards on the trailer.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,416 Crazy Baller
    I changed to Bunk Wrap for this go around and I doubt I'll ever go back to carpet... I've had it on there (2016 Pro Star) for over a year now and it looks brand new. No noticeable effect on the hull. Bunk Wrap
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    scotchipman
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 67 Baller
    Make sure you measure your bunks first. The rails on my 1993 Ski Nautique trailer (Ryan) were longer than most and I really had to hunt around to find stock cut bunk carpet that was long enough. Looks like some good options provided above. I eventually got mine at West Marine and it has held up well for the first few years worth of use.
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,659
    I like what @Roger has done. Any pictures?
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - USI Tech pays for my water ski addiction
    @scotchipman - I'll take some on the next outing. Typically launch 4 times a week, so good test of durability.
    scotchipman
  • buoyboy1buoyboy1 Posts: 59 Baller
    For those of you that have added the polymer slides over carpeted bunks have you noticed a great reduction of hull wear? I need to get my hull repaired due to the carpeted bunks wearing through the gelcoat after a decade of loading and unloading.
  • JmoskiJmoski Posts: 115 Baller
    edited October 8
    My boat is a garage queen, so my bunks are always wet. Hence when I just replaced them I went with a new composite bunk from Ultimate Bunk Boards.

Very happy so far after several launches and retrievals. Now when I launch she just slides off on her own and retrieving I have to apply 1/2 the effort cranking it in on steep ramp.

Only limitation is the longest length you can get is 12'. I asked them not to "trim" to exact length which gave me an extra 2" which was just enough.

Here is pic of the new bunk and how bad the old one was...

scotchipmanBulldog
    I thought about using Trex type material in 2x6's. I took the carpet off the inside of the trailer fenders, as the carpet keeps water there, and it starts rusting, even with powder coat. What I was concerned about was sliding off the trailer as I back down the ramp.

Anyone using plastic bunks?

I bought new wood and cut to length and setup two saw horses in the garage, and my air stapler made short work of the carpet. It helps if a buddy helps pull the carpet tight.

I had a wear pattern on the top inside edge of the bunks, so took the opportunity to use a circular saw to knock the edge off and then sanded a round edge on the new bunks so maybe it will last a little longer.

eleeski
    edited October 9
    @A_B with my composite bunks which are really smooth the boat very well might slide off while backing down the ramp if left unsecured.

I will probably add a back up to the winch, something like the turnbuckle that was on the Ramlin trailer for my last nautique.
    A_B
  • xratedxrated Posts: 478 Solid Baller
    @Roger I'd be interested in pics and how you like that Caliber stuff. Saw it when it first came out and would love to support a local MN company and a snowmobile company all at once
    I will shoot one as soon as I can. I've been sick since Friday night, so have not been out. @jrs also uses this product (that's how I found out about it), maybe he has a shot already. I may get out tomorrow night, but if not, I'll certainly be out this weekend and take a few shots for you.
  • fu_manfu_man Posts: 308 Baller
    This thread is timely as I need to replace a carpeted boat guide on my Shore Station. Can anyone tell me if a hammer tacker or staple gun will be strong enough to drive the staples through the carpet into the treated wood. I am skeptical.
  • mdriggsmdriggs Posts: 4 Baller
    Hammer tacker: No, not strong enough, and accuracy becomes a problem. Manual staple gun: Not strong enough. Electric or pneumatic will work.
  • Kwoody51Kwoody51 Posts: 18 Baller
    Air stapler will make life easy. You can get one for ~$40 arrow is a great brand.

Manual staplers will be frustrating at best if it works at all.
    I bought an air staple gun and just played with the pressure on some scrap wood. It did a nice job and was real fast. Just get stainless staples and a gun that can use them. A lot of air staplers can just do the long and narrow woodworking staples.
    T50 is what you want, if I remember correctly.

Phoenix trailers told me to NOT use pressure treated due to chemicals causing rust.

They said use southern pine or something like that. I special ordered at Menards.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,560 Administrator
    edited October 11
    @A_B the bunks on my lift are synthetic wood with a poly coating on the outside. We skipped adding carpet with the theory that carpet holds sand and sand thrashes Gel coat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

A_B
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,791 Mega Baller
    edited October 11
    Never mind. Brain Fart!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    As long as the boat doesn't slide off the synthetic wood prematurely on a trailer, I think that has possibility. Backing down the ramp and then letting the boat down the trailer with the winch would be a pain. I didn't risk the time and expense to try it, so copped out and went with new wood and carpet.

@A_B - launching is so much easier now. It's a piece of cake - just reverse the direction of the winch and it slides off on its own. Yes, I have to unhook it and then winch the slack up, but it sure beats straining my back pushing the boat off with carpeted bunks. The ramp I use drops off quickly so I have to be careful about how deep I put the trailer in.
    A_B
    edited October 16
    @scotchipman @xrated - Bunkwrap photos (I only used it on the inside load bearing runners. The outside runners and nose V-runners seem to not wear much). This is after a year's use of the Bunkwarp:

Jmoskibigtex2011scotchipman