D3 NRG Review has started

HortonHorton Posts: 24,635 Administrator
I have two rides on the NRG. The second was last night. I ran three 32s and three 35s. On the last 35 the ski and I were beginning to sync. I think I am going to be pretty happy about riding this ski until it gets cold.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

JordanskibrainCent

Comments

• mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 337 Baller
    I'm excited to hear your thoughts.
    I've been on a lot of skis this summer and I'm on the NRG now. I can say that I have been more consistent and more confident on the NRG than any other ski.
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    You have been a ski reviewing machine lately!
    Jim Ross
    Than_Bogan
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,635 Administrator
    218 rides this year

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

Than_Boganjerrymsunvalleylaw
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,220 Crazy Baller
    But still no write up on the Katana! We've all seen the video.
    @BraceMaker I really do not know how to do a write up on that ski. Start another thread about it and I will see what I can do.

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

• mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 337 Baller
    How's the review coming?
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 182 Baller
    [email protected] says it all.
    skiboyny
    Back on topic. NRG review is coming along slowly. It is October and inconveniently I'm also in the process of selling a house and moving. Early impressions are really good.

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

shansen345
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,042 Crazy Baller
    @Horton moving!!??
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • JordanJordan Posts: 936 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    New intergalactic headquarters?
  • buoyboy1buoyboy1 Posts: 60 Baller
    John - Be sure to try (if you have time) some short and deep settings. I have been at 6.880 2.510 .75 8 deg 30" (67") and its been awesome. Looking forward to the review.
    edited October 2017
    I just took ride # 10 and ran 5 @ 38.

I think I have the settings right and am ready to just ride the ski and figure out what the the review will say.

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

• BoozeBooze Posts: 287 Baller
    10th pass or 10th set? ;)
    edited October 2017
    Ride = set

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

• DirtDirt Posts: 1,485 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I rode a lot of different skis this summer. The NRG was at the top of the list. I would have ridden it more and bought one if I had not injured myself. My friend liked it so much he bought the one we demoed.
    Another ski buddy has not been able to find a ski he liked for years. He rode the NRG and immediately loved it. He has been running 38 almost every set since the purchase. He likes the ski with a deeper fin than most people are running on it.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    6ballssantangelojimbrake
  • kckc Posts: 72 Baller
    My story sounds very similar to @Dirt’s buddy. Have ridden a lot of skis in recent years, looking for “the one”. I finally found it with the NRG. I’ve been on a 67” since the first of August. Ran more 38s in the first week on the ski than I had on everything else all season. This is the first time in years that I’ve not had extra skis in the garage. I sold everything else shortly after getting on the NRG. I’ve been running these numbers for a while and have stuck with them. 6.895, 2.507, .745, and 30 1/8.
    gregy6ballssantangelojimbrake
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,186 Crazy Baller
    @kc - were you on or did you try an ARC before the NRG? If so, what would you say the difference in feel is? Thanks!
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • BdeckerBdecker Posts: 219 Solid Baller
    Watched a friend jump on an NRG this weekend in cold water after 2.5 weeks off, skied to within a buoy of his PB right off the dock. Looks like D3 is onto something again...
    ozski
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,722 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @bdecker I think they've always been really good...for some reason never seem to generate as much buzz not sure why.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    BdeckerDeanoskiDrago
    @jimbrake Sorry for delayed response. I too am in the middle of moving. Yes, the ARC was the ski I was on prior to the NRG. Once I got the NRG dialed in, the difference was the cross-course speed and space at the ball. It seems easy to create space at the buoy. Also, when I eventually landed on the short and deep settings, I can get as much angle out of the turn as my body can handle and I never blow out the tail. I liked the ARC, but I love the NRG!
    santangeloEd_JohnsonjimbrakeGloersen
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,186 Crazy Baller
    @kc - Nice! thanks. Hmmm. Maybe in the meantime I'll try some short and deep on my ARC. I've been running long and shallow forever but started creeping deeper in the last couple of weeks and liking it. Nothing to lose at this point in the season.

Getting a new knee this spring so will probably hold off on new ski for '18, but maybe a mid-season demo will be in order. Seeing a lot of good skiers and skiing on the NRG lately.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    Jordan
    You're welcome @jimbrake . Keep us posted, and best of luck with the new knee!
    jimbrake
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 728 Crazy Baller
    getting stacked out wide (early); impressive. Looks like quick/clean onside turns, especially 4B/12m, at 11.25 as well.

Always intrigued with your reviews when describing a ski with bullet proof onsides.

Curious what your final take will be on the NRG as well as a relative comparison to the ARC.
    Friluftsliv - stå løpet ut!
  • JordanJordan Posts: 936 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    There can be nothing embarrassing about a full pass at -38!
    6balls
    @Jordan yea that is true but I really hesitate to post any pass that it the ragged. I sure do not want a video like that to cast the ski in a bad light. I guess it does show how incredibly well the NRG is when you are in trouble.

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

@Gloersen Actually I am still searching setting a bit to make the On Side as good as it can be. The Off Side of this ski is always good but I think I can find settings to make On Side more comfortable.

Look carefully at the 35s and you can find some pretty clear flaws in my approach to On Side. Sometime it is the skiers fault : )

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

AkBob
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,504 Crazy Baller
    Looking good @Horton
  • CentCent Posts: 80 Baller
    Quite impressive to my eye. Both the ski and the skiing. It looked pretty smooth a great deal of the time and when things went wrong the Ski seemed to let you get corrected enough to continue.
    Jody_Seal