Sheared bolt found near plug in hull

cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 639 Crazy Baller
Last time I had my 98 SN out I tugged the ski course out to help get it set up. Once it got mostly in the water there was a lot of pull on the boat making it hard to tug at about 2-3 mph. Drove fine the 5 miles back to dock. Then I found this sheared bolt by the plug in the hull -ideas? All the engine mounts are there. Boat ran great today. There was a tiny bit of play in the pylon.

Vapor pro 2017

Comments

• foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 351 Solid Baller
    edited October 9
    Could be a tracking fin bolt. On my old supra 2 bolts on pylon mount were shared with one of the tracking fins
    2000 Malibu Response LX 67 Radar senate double vector highwraps
  • scorban2scorban2 Posts: 42 Baller
    Looks like one side of one of the u bolts that holds the pylon on. Mine has nylocks on it, and it looks like that piece does as well.
    Gloersencragginshred
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,810 Crazy Baller
    Those are also similar to what hold the strut plate onto the hull, you'll want to take out the floor sections and give a look around.
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 569 Crazy Baller
    One of the guys I ski with has a 196. His pylon kept popping and had a bolt issue. I assume you have the same problem. He was going to fix it with a new bolt, but is having to use the tracking fin mounts with a bracket to reinforce the pylon.
  • JmoskiJmoski Posts: 113 Baller
    Check the bolts for the swim platform support brackets - that's what that reminds me of on my older nautique, tracking fins on my 196 are not through bolted.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,149 Mega Baller
    5/8" bolt? Check U-bolts on pylon... bet one is broken. Easy fix!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

cragginshredaupatking
  • cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 639 Crazy Baller
    Thanks guys, 99% sure its the pylon U bolt
    Vapor pro 2017
    bdougherty
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 795 Crazy Baller
    That's what I always say... I'm 99% sure it's whatever Jody says!
    aupatkingcragginshredMarco