Trick Ski Life Vest

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of or seen a trick life vest?

Thanks,

Comments

• LuzzLuzz Posts: 215 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @ryanncclark the problem with a vest for tricks is that it may limit you with movements. However, there are some body of waters that mandate a life jacket when doing water sports. Or, you may be learning some flips and want the extra padding :smile:
    In any case, I would recommend thin and very stretchy, like an AquaFlyer or Eagle. Camaro would be an option too
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    See what I am up to on Twitter and Instagram.
    LoopSki
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 817 Crazy Baller
    Sorry for the joke. What @Luzz said. The Stokes vest looks like a really nice, flexible option as well
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,891 Mega Baller
    I don’t think that an eagle would impact you until you are running a lot of points.
    Mark Shaffer
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,393 Mega Baller
    I've used an old eagle, one that just barely floats you.
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 634 Crazy Baller
    edited October 2017
    The long-time tradition of not wearing a vest for tricks dates back to a time long before today's (non-approved) impact vests. Life jackets were thick and less flexible.

Honestly, I'd bet if you gave today's thinnest wakeboard pullover impact vest to both novice trickers and top contenders, and gave them 5 sets to get used to it, it would have exactly 0% effect on scores.

On the flip side, it's important to note that any thin impact vest is NOT an actual approved floatation device, and really means nothing in terms of coast guard regulations, insurance, etc.
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,889 Mega Baller
    O'Neil Guru pull over vests work great for trick skiing. Thin and flexible. Use the holes to tie the vest to your board shorts, though, or it can ride up during a fall.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    dchristmanskialex
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,879 Crazy Baller
    edited October 2017
    @andjules on public water we call it camo - not going to help if a sheriff checks the label but not going to get the guy to come harass you.
    andjules
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 849 Mega Baller
    I wear an O'Neill Gooru when I practice and a sleeveless Camaro top in tournaments. Just like Jeff Rogers does for slalom, it is possible to wear an old CGA vest and get the job done:

I've seen him do SL5's in it.
    Patience is the key to Joy.
    MuskokaKyGusskialex
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,083 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    I don't like vests for tricking. Hands close in and high on the back really stabilizes the full back position. A bulky vest interferes with that. However, @andjules is right, you can adapt pretty quickly.

Tricks do put you at risk of getting knocked out. Flotation is a good idea. I know several really high level skiers who do wear a vest while tricking.

Coast Guard vests are more restrictive than thin vests. Whether you can dodge a ticket by wearing a thin vest is questionable. Note that there is an exemption to the vest requirement for competitive skiing and training (at least in California) so you'd better have some results for the ranking lists if you are using that excuse.

Vests are very helpful when learning flips. Also, wakeboard falls seem faster and more head slapping - wear a vest (and maybe a helmet?) on a wakeboard.

I use an ensolite foam neck brace when I trick. Perhaps I should carry that a bit further and expand it to a vest that floats but doesn't restrict movement. The Coast Guard certification is probably beyond my abilities to navigate bureaucracy.

Eric
    gsm_peter
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 634 Crazy Baller
    It's worth noting that top wakeboarders generally wear impact vests without complaining about restricted movement and folks are doing a whole lot of frenetic handle-passing for 1080s, 1260s and mobe5s.
    eleeski
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,217 Crazy Baller
    best advice i ever heard about buying a thin non approved ski vest is to choose a bright colored one because it will make it easier to find the body.
    Killer
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,889 Mega Baller
    @mwetskier That's like if you're going to drink and drive, turn the stereo up really load. That way, you won't hear the accident.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,217 Crazy Baller
    @lpskier -yup, same joke only different. like not wearing a seat belt cuz you wanna be thrown free in case of an accident. not everyone shares our sense of humor tho.
  • SkidSkid Posts: 40 Baller
    Really not a bad idea to wear one in practice.

• gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 640 Solid Baller
    The wet suite provides also some flotation.
    I would guess that a thin west and a full wet suite togheter provides almost sufficient flotation.
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,083 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @gsm_peter That might be problematic when the water is 35c and the air is 45c. Typical day at my lake in the summer.

Eric
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 640 Solid Baller
    @eleeski
    The wet suite keeps the heat out?
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
    eleeski