Ski shape versus construction material

It seems like there a lot of talk about ski shape (Vapor versus Senate, Syndicate Pro versus Syndicate Omni, etc.) but is the build material more important that the extra 1/8 of width in some of these skis? How does the build material effect stability? Bottom line...is there more difference between a Syndicate Pro versus an Omni or more difference between a Syndicate Omni versus a carbon Omni or basic Omni? Any insight would be appreciated. Especially from people who have skied the same year/different build. Thanks!

Comments

• bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 874 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    IMO, shape typically has more influence. Materials matter a lot and I have skied different materials in the same shape. But small changes to shape can make a huge difference in how the ski works. In other words, I find it easier to feel shape changes than material changes.
    Than_BoganHortonsmalor
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 634 Solid Baller
    Fwiw
    I have quite some sets on the orange 2012 fiber glass senate and the on the 2017 carbon senate.
    Not fully comparable but I feel substansial better acceleration on the carbon ski.
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,044 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Materials matter. Shape matters. Weight matters (a bit). Stiffness matters. Rocker matters (maybe the most). Getting the right blend of all the variables makes the ski work. And different people have different preferences. Demo until you find what fits you.

@Horton will tell you to never listen to my ski recommendations. He's probably right. And I haven't skied your specific skis so I'm off the hook. I am interested in the reviews as I am slowing down (I love ZBS).

Eric
    Hortonskialex
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,558 Administrator
    edited October 16
    @eleeski the below text might be the most accurate and helpful thing you have ever published on this website.

Getting the right blend of all the variables makes the ski work.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

eleeskimmosley899RazorRoss3savaiusini
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 450 Crazy Baller
    When I picked up a 2015 Vapor for my son in his last year in boys 1, Chris Sullivan told me to buy the alloy version, “because at his weight he was only riding the shape.” That is an informative comment because it points to the impact of skier weight and ability influencing the benefits received from different materials, while all three versions of the ski at that time shared the same shape. One could infer from his advice the shape provides the most impactful benefits and materials fine tune those benefits.
    andjules