Colder water skiing -strategies?

cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 639 Crazy Baller
I went from a PB Oct 6th to two of my worst ski days ever Fri/Sun. Water is faster and harder when colder. How do you compensate? Likely just reps.
Vapor pro 2017
DanE

Comments

• thagerthager Posts: 3,788 Mega Baller
    Stay warm! Body doesn't work right when cold and covered by rubber. Also, might try a little more depth on fin.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Mike Gile
  • jayskijayski Posts: 517 Crazy Baller
    The great debate/lesson... the water is slower, not faster :) I am sure this is the most recurring yearly thread @Horton ?
    WaterSkier12
  • jerrymjerrym Posts: 57 Baller
    Please don't let the endless summer come to an end....no, no, no....getting an ice cream headache just thinking about the cold.
  • jedgelljedgell Posts: 301 Baller
    I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the water is actually softer and slower. It feels fast likely because you're skiing narrow. Try decreasing your wing.
    Justin Edgell - Bozeman, MT
    Bulldog
  • gavskigavski Posts: 113 Baller
    Firstly, take 1deg off your wing...this will free up the ski and make it move again..

Secondly, (excuse the metric numers)...for every deg C the water is colder than 20degC, take 0.2kph off the speed...eg water temp 18 deg C = speed reduction of 0.4kph...i regularly ski in water that has huge temp variations and this really works...

I can be down to 56kph at home (water temp 10degC) and the next set (back in orlando) up to 58kph and the ski and scores will feel the same - apart from the cold extremities etc etc...
    SkiJay
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 630 Solid Baller
    If I understand the physics correct.
    Water friction is lower for cold water.
    Density is about the same.
    I fond skiing to be more difficult in colder water....
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 639 Crazy Baller
    @gavski so if fin is at 9* usually go to 8* ?
    I had never heard this -good to know!
    Vapor pro 2017
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,412 Mega Baller
    I don’t change my fin between Minnesota and Florida. I cannot be of service.
    Jim Ross
    jimbrakebigtex2011
  • BCMBCM Posts: 149 Baller
    Make sure your body is warm and unrestricted. I ski all winter and don't touch my fin. I do make sure that I am wearing proper gear for the weather that doesn't restrict motion. My old full neo drysuit was warm but terribly restrictive, I skied like garbage in it. When the water gets cold I am comfortable in a 2mm top, but my body is just a little stiff, I ski like garbage. In my baggy top drysuit I am warm and unrestricted, I ski as well as I did in August. Before I figured out my warmth/movement issue I hated skiing in the winter, now I like it.
    Lake3OldboyII
    @BCM my old O'neil assault took a crap they warrantied it with the new style that does not have the baggy top. It's warm but very restrictive. Yesterday was day one in it and I did not make one pass.
    Vapor pro 2017
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,467 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Camaro wetsuits are remarkably warm.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Than_BoganWish
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,656
    edited October 17
    A few old threads on the subject:
    www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/14837/water-temperature-and-drag-force
    www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/11782/cold-water-fin-binding-adjustments www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/14362/cold-vs-warm-water-and-the-effect-on-ski-and-settings

What we do know is that as the water cools it becomes more dense and the viscosity increases. The increase in density is very minimal, the viscosity increase is the main change that happens as the water cools.

@Skijay is the expert and has said something like "for the most part, a ski that is properly set up for warm water, will remain properly set up in cold water". The water has cooled to the low 50's and air in the 50's/60's in Utah and I'm skiing as good as I was in the summer with no changes to my fin/bindings/wing.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Crypto Investing pays for my water ski addiction
    Onside135cragginshred
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,788 Mega Baller
    Fly south!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    jayskiWishDaveD
  • BCMBCM Posts: 149 Baller
    @cragginshred I picked one of these up last winter. I wear a spray leg on the back leg. I notice a tiny bit of drag in the turns but not enough to change anything. I can layer underneath and have full mobility. The full neo suit I had was an old hand-me-down and was bulky as could be. I like that the baggy suit is just a water barrier and I add insulation as necessary. I was hesitant to go full baggy, but I am happy I did.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,361 Mega Baller
    I usually slow the boat down about 1 mph and just work on staying in shape and technique. Don't worry about PB's much. I moved the fine back on my 16 Vapor because the tip was getting sensitive.
    WaterSkier12Deke
  • gavskigavski Posts: 113 Baller
    @cragginshred - correct...9* to 8*...you will notice the difference right from your gate pull out...

I will almost take alternate sets in water that will have a huge temp range...i am fortunate enough to ski in florida every 2 weeks.. i have even manage to ski on snow, ski in Florida and ski at home all in one week....so i have a regular comparison between the different water qualities.

In the recent Mapple Pro-Am, the no1 skier in the world took about 6 sets before he could adjust to cold water...and the water was about 20degC....

There is definately a sweet spot...anything above 34C/94F and the ski sits too deep in the water...reducing the wing by 1deg helped enormously...
    cragginshred
  • DanEDanE Posts: 782 Crazy Baller
    Put the boat on trailer. Winterize. Put the boat in storage. Get back at it in the spring.
    WaterSkier12Than_BoganLarsski603
  • OldboyIIOldboyII Posts: 433 Baller
    edited October 17
    Flex of the ski also changes in colder water. It may be two different animals at 7C and 27C.
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,483 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    My winter strategy is to fly back to Florida when possible, too old for that , Breaking the Ice thing and putting your hands and feet in buckets of hot water.

"How Nice Is It, When You Feel The Boat Release You ”

Wish
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,412 Mega Baller
    @SkiJay -- interesting. All of my setups have been done in colder water. Pretty much the warmest it gets in MN lakes is mid-70s. When I go to warmer water it feels fine. As an example, last year I ran 38 off in Florida one day in October, the very next day ran it in MN in a drysuit - no changes to setup and they both felt similar to me. Water temp difference was more than 20 degrees.
    Jim Ross
    MISkier
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,150 Mega Baller
    @Razorskier1 The Great Nate once told me he felt the same way, specifically that the setups he used in off-season cold water in Indiana worked fine anywhere else he went in the world.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... because understanding is better than memorizing
    MISkier
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,656
    Thanks @SkiJay for the correction, makes more sense. I'm skiing good with my current settings in the cold water, looking forward to next year when it warms up again.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Crypto Investing pays for my water ski addiction
    @DanE ha ha! However, I live in Cali not Minnesota.
    Vapor pro 2017
    DanE
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,145 Crazy Baller
    @cragginshred - you have to leave now. You said "Cali". Please turn in your California card. Alternatively, you may attend mandatory repatriation classes. There are several upcoming in Santa Cruz, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Malibu, Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa, Redondo, PV, Seal Beach, Long Beach, Huntington, Newport, Laguna, Dana Pt., San Clemente, Oceanside, Carlsbad, all North County SD towns, San Diego, and Imperial Beach.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    RichardDoane
    @jimbrake ha! Sorry too lazy to type Ca................
    Can I say Nor Cal or would that put me in a worse classification?
    Vapor pro 2017
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 573 Crazy Baller
    For me, being a bit too big for my ski, I really like skiing in colder water as it seems to expand my performance envelope a bit. Ski isn't as sensitive to the very minute body position things in cold water as it is when it's warmer.

That and your hands are like iron. :)
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,145 Crazy Baller
    @cragginshred - ha. Just poking. I know I can't stop the "Cali" tide. NorCal is fine.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,770 Mega Baller
    Slow the boat down a mph and have fun and be grearful you don't have ice skates on
    bf`
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 217 Solid Baller
    @cragginshred is there cold water in "Cali"?
    cragginshred