Dave Goode rocks

eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,044 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
We all know about his great slalom skis and skiing (I boat judged MM slalom at Imperial Saturday and every skier in the division, including Dave, rode a Goode). But I also judged his trick ride. OK, he's a long way from MM tricks. He's right there with the beginning college kids. But he's just starting so that's OK.

The magic is in his trick ski design. I built a huge ski a few years back. I didn't get it to work. Goodman is building a giant ski that works for some college skiers (but is too long for college nationals?). Kirk rode one but didn't ask me for a bigger ski. Dave showed up with a severely modified wakeboard - mounted trick style. I was pretty skeptical. More so when he asked for 12.8 mph. But once he started skiing, I was convinced. He's just starting to trick so he has some common problems. Usually those errors punish you with a hard edge catch fall. His ski resisted those tendencies. A couple minutes of coaching and he hit his first reverse O! Scored it in the tournament the next day.

He's doing something right. The big ski, the bottom design, the binding setup and the tuning made the ski work for him. The most creative part was going so slowly. It made the falls soft and slow. I'm impressed and excited to watch his progress.

Soon a Goode trick for beginners?

Eric
ThomasAliveThan_Bogan6ballsBruce_Butterfieldskihartandjulesbishop8950HallpassGusBulldog

Comments

• Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,548
    Video or Photos ???
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • SethroSethro Posts: 180 Baller
    Being a big guy, I'd like to hear more about this big trick ski. I'd like to purchase a new ski, but I'm not sold on the 44" Aira or 43.5" Graviton being big enough for 6'5" 220ish.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,843 Mega Baller
    @Sethro I have a 45" D3 XT that I skied on at 240 lbs and it worked great. I just looked at their website and they still make the HC LTD rubber edge ski in a 45.
    Mark Shaffer
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,044 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @Bruce_Butterfield keep us posted.

Note that Dave had filled in all his grooves and added some vortex generator tape to reduce the drag for the low speed he wants. He did take a couple falls that might have hurt at a faster speed but were very low energy at the low speed. For him, the big ski was just to keep from getting beat up while learning the basics.

While you might need a 52 to match a kid's pressure, you could also speed up a bit. The energy increases with the square of the speed so it doesn't take much. When I started, 16mph was the default speed. Almost nobody goes that slow now. Speed up and lengthen the rope and your 3000 points might be in range again.

Ski design is also a huge factor. I am skiing a 45 inch fairly traditional ski. But it is pretty high drag and needs over 18mph to work. I was playing around with a barely 42" ski that was a bit unconventional but worked quite well years ago (probably ran more points than my current ski has). It was much lower drag and I had to slow down a lot despite the shorter length.

Note that old factory skis were typically narrower so you aren't likely to find old gems. Keep an eye on Goode and Goodman, and trust the big Quantum and D3 proven big guy skis. Fun stuff is happening with trick designs.

Eric
    ThomasAliveWaterSkier12