2018 AWSA Rules Committee Meeting Proposals Survey

HortonHorton Posts: 23,526 Administrator
I hope everyone takes the survey. Some of the questions really need some debate.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

sunvalleylaw

Comments

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,912 Mega Baller
    I added my .02 this morning, as I hope everyone else does as well
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,818 Mega Baller
    Link?
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • Chad_ScottChad_Scott Posts: 357 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Yes need link for survey
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 203 Baller
    If AWSA has your email address, you should get an email containing the link.
    Than_Bogan
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,526 Administrator
    @JeffSurdej Do you want the link posted?

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• jcampjcamp Posts: 607 Crazy Baller
    I hope they limit the survey to only USAWS members.
    mnewthHorton
    AWSA doesn’t love me anymore. :'(
    Horton
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 326 Crazy Baller
    @JeffSurdej It might be interesting to compare non-members to members. Maybe a duplicate survey with a separate link for non-members?
    MISkierHortonBruce_ButterfieldBroussardBRY
  • JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 244 USAWS Official
    @skiinxs great idea, I added the question of being a member or not so we can segment but also created a new collection URL for non members so please ONLY fill out this survey via this link if you are not a USAWS member. If you are a member use the one from the email. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/nonusawsmember
    AWSA President
    PurdueSkier
    edited October 26
    @JeffSurdej the one thing that concerns me about that survey is that I never heard a lot of these proposals before so the answers I provided we're sort of reactionary. I think a lot of these ideas need pro/con analysis before the opinion of the membership is very meaningful.

In other words I would assume that somebody who has thought about some of these issues for weeks and months could explain to me why my first reaction vote might be completely backwards.

BroussardBruce_ButterfieldsunperchMattPThan_Boganwalleye
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,034 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Open is the ultimate ability based division. We should all strive for that.

Age divisions are fun social groups. Definitely need to be protected.

Balancing the age divisions and the ability qualifications to maximize the development and retention of all skiers is a difficult task. Interesting to watch how some of the changes already made play out.

I am a product of Al Frosini's novice ability based tournaments. Quite a few of us are still skiing 40 years later. Kirk is a product of the great social experience of his age groups. There's merit in many paths. Hopefully options will be available.

Eric
    ALPJr
  • WishWish Posts: 6,742 Mega Baller
    I remember skiing out of Novice and into my age group. I also remember that as being a huge accomplishment and a goal worth striving for and an attainable one that kept me competing. Who I was competing against in Novice meant very little as the group was always rather small and I would socialize with my age group anyway . Once in age group, the bar to beat the best in that age group didn't seem so out of the question. A balance to keep the "new to tournaments" coming back for more and age devisions could be a good thing...I think.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    skiinxsBill22
  • JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 244 USAWS Official
    edited October 26
    @Horton agreed horton, that was the main reason behind starting a position dedicated to bridging the NCWSA/AWSA gap, but yes we need to talk about ambassador program and more. Hopefully soon, its on my list to catch up with you. THIS WAS MOVED TO THE ALUMNI SURVEY FORUM
    AWSA President
  • ricorico Posts: 29 Baller
    Didn't get the email...
    Eric Francois - Studio City, CA - 2018 Vapor Pro Build - Reflex Super /R Style
    @kelvin Handicap at Nationals I like it. I am tied for 17th in M4 on the ranking list as of today so I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting on the podium but a handicap medal would get my attention. That is a good idea.

Get me a few extra rounds and it is golden : )

JweberDragoThan_Bogan
  • BroussardBroussard Posts: 279 Baller
    Handicapped national champion... sounds like a good way to water down AWSA's most prestigious tournament.
    Andre Broussard - Louisiana
    HortonJWebSkiAlvin_Neffsunperch
    @Broussard it is not the same as the actual high score champ. It is a way to make the event interesting to more skiers.

It is a lot like what I do with my Cash Prize events. I give cash to the one bad ass best skier and to the best handicap skier. It does not diminish anything.

walleyeThan_Bogan
    @horton I am not against the idea of a handicapped event, and I do agree with the idea of giving people more to do during Nationals (i.e. your proposed daily tournament,) but I don't like the idea of a handicapped division as part of the National Championship.
    walleyeThan_Bogan
    @Kelvin Not to be crass, but I think @jcamp beat you to the punch on suggesting handicapped events at Nationals. That’s what he was talking about, right....?
    @MattP AWSA does provide certificates for the most improved skier in each event for the junior divisions. Should handicapped divisions be added to British Nationals as well? Pan-Ams? Europeans? Worlds?
    MattPJWebSkiHortonwalleye
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,053 Crazy Baller
    have any of you been to or participated in the AT&T Pro AM at Pebble beach? Let me tell you the winners of the "handicap" pro am dont feel mediocre. Its exciting enough that they actually usually show the last few holes of the top teams on TV
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    Horton