Wally skier buoys

LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,895 Crazy Baller
Here's a couple of Wally skiers buoys. The one on the left was in a building all its life and the one on the right was a turn buoy for 6 months. Before you say "but not in the blazing FL sun", from mid May thru mid Sept we get more daylight hours than FL. Anyway the comparison is for your evaluation. The only drawback is the attachment loop. It's common with the buoy's air chamber. Get a nick at the connection point and you get a leak. And they're soft and kinda fragile in this area. We lost 2 to this malady. I'm not sure it was a nick, maybe just weak in this area. Looks more like a crack from flex rather than a nick or cut.
Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
MattPMISkieraupatkingThan_BoganHortonbishop8950santangelo

Comments

• MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    We've used ours for two years and they look great. Excellent value and a quality product.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    aupatking
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,895 Crazy Baller
    Another photo. Different angle, not in the sun. Good color retention. You can see some evidence of ski "run overs"
    MISkier
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 769 Crazy Baller
    Thanks @LeonL. I put ours out a month or two ago, and was thinking about painting them with flexabar buoy paint, to preserve them. That appears to be fairly unnecessary. Though, my course stays in all year
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 874 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I love these buoys. We ran them most of the summer in blazing sun CA and they still look brand new. Not sure why the attachment loop is Ike that but we haven’t had failures yet.

Also, we run them with very little air pressure and I think they are as safe as anything out there.
    MISkierThan_Boganaupatking
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,769 Mega Baller
    Two Ohio summers and will use ours again next year. We keep them under inflated so they are a little wrinkly. I ran over one in the sun glare this year and kept on going.
    MISkierbishop8950
  • John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 270 Crazy Baller
    @LeonL yes they are great buoys. You may want to use less air in them. We have found that they need no more than 2 or 3 pumps and believe they are very safe. With less air, sometimes we need to squeeze the dimple out, you hit them with a ski and it is much less impactful.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,895 Crazy Baller
    If you'll note the second photo there are several ski marks, so it's apparent that it has been run over several times. No one hurt.
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,737 Mega Baller
    Absolutely love our WallyBuoys. Best money ever spent. Just removed ours for the season. Next year will be season three on them.
    MISkier
  • lcarneslcarnes Posts: 103 Baller
    We absolutely love our Wally buoys. Unfortunately, the jelly blobs love them too! By the way, that buoy is at least a couple of years old and has been in the course the whole time.

SkiJay
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 534 Crazy Baller
    I don’t know how y’all get such life out of a buoy. We get 3 months tops and ski 12 months year.
  • oldmanskieroldmanskier Posts: 110 Baller
    We are starting our fourth year with same the Wally buoys in the course. They are still a bright color. I avoid hitting a ski buoy at all costs but I have hit these hard on rare occasions with no injury. We run as little air pressure as possible and they work great. Most of the guys in our club do not want to pay the $17 dollars a buoy. So one other member and I supply them due to we have the worst ankles and these buoys are (in my opinion) one of the safest you can use if they are aired up correctly. The cost has not been an issue due to the buoys last so long. I highly recommend them.
    Oldmanskier.
    aupatkingMISkierBdecker
  • NandoNando Posts: 339 Baller
    Um, @lcarnes, just for an ignorant guy up on the frozen tundra, what the hell are those jelly blobs???
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,504 Administrator
    Wally's ball are the best.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

jayski
  • santangelosantangelo Posts: 144 Solid Baller
    Yeah, they are good. We bought about 160 of them. Well worth the money.
    Bdecker
  • lcarneslcarnes Posts: 103 Baller
    @Nando Here's what www.asknaturalist.com says: Freshwater bryozoans are tiny colonial animals that can form jelly-like masses, which are often found attached to sticks or docks. Bryozoan colonies can be as much as a foot (30 cm) in diameter.
    Nando
  • jerrymjerrym Posts: 57 Baller
    Our club has used the wally buoys for a number of years with good success. We change them out once a year as they fade a bit, but we can spread the cost over the club membership. No ankle injuries to report. We get some moldies on the underwater portion of the ball but fortunately we do not have jelly blobs!
  • PhilPhil Posts: 57 Baller
    I was going to order a new set of turn bouys for our October event this year but before i did i took a new spare one out to the course and compared it to the existing bouys which are now 2 years old and the old ones were still holding great color so i didn't change them . They are great and would recommend them to any one and his service is excellent also .
    Phil Hughes Champions Lake Clermont FL.
    Than_BoganWishaupatking
  • ZmanZman Posts: 955 Crazy Baller
    Great buoys! Put ours in the water spring of 2016. Being in south Bama, they stay in all year. Still look great. And, like others we underinflate so they are very wrinkled underwater.
    Blood type IPA
    aupatking