Cervical Fusion .... Recovery time?

sodbuster88sodbuster88 Posts: 54 Baller
Hey y’all... just scheduled 1 level fusion surgery on my c5-c6. Dr says after 6 weeks I’m back to all normal activities. But, no skiing for a year! Damn...that knocks me out for all of 2018. I’d like to hear your experience if you care to share. Thx

Comments

• Moved2skiMoved2ski Posts: 4 New Baller
    I had c 4-5-6 done 2 years ago. 6 months with "no athletic activity ". I got a script for a bone growth stimulater that sped things up. I got lucky and insurance paid for mine.
    Lovell
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,462 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I'm a doc myself, had a two level fusion a few years back in June and missed a season in MN. I missed only 2 weeks of work and got back in the gym as allowed.

Do what the docs tell you...no reason to risk bigger things. Push it if you want to at your risk(I wanted to but those around me refused to give me a pull--I know how you feel missing out).
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    WaterSkier12MISkiershansen345
  • sodbuster88sodbuster88 Posts: 54 Baller
    Thx guys...looking forward to getting this behind me
  • LLUSALLUSA Posts: 206 Solid Baller
    Had a C4,5.6 done in December started skiing in May that was 17 years ago no problems
    LLUSA, Sr Driver, AWSA Board of Directors, Towboat Committee,Lake Owner
    sodbuster88
  • BoozeBooze Posts: 273 Baller
    I'm in the "c 4-5-6" club too. Let it heal up and you should be good to go.
    Take care of those remaining disks. I use an inversion table and also occasionally a Saunders Cervical traction device.

This brings up the question of fusion vs. artificial joint/disc.
    Some people (like CP and my former boss)) have had the titanium joint "installed". At the time of my last surgery 2012, it was not an option, or at least not a viable one. At the time it appeared to be new on the scene and was not readily accepted (in my area at least).
    @6balls - What is your knowledge of the different scenarios or options? IMO, the artificial disc should be the go-to first option and then fusion as a backup solution.
    @sodbuster88 - Was the artificial joint an option for you?
  • SethroSethro Posts: 180 Baller
    I had it done back in 2012 around the first of July and was cleared to ski in early October later that year. Three of my ski buddies have since had the surgery in the October/November time frame, and were cleared to ski by the first of May. I'm beginning to think skiing might have something to do with need for the surgery in the first place... :)
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,462 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @booze I'm not sure the jury is "in" so far on artificial discs...it certainly has not become widespread standard of care yet. It's been a long time coming...I worked in a research lab in the early to mid 90's and at that time we were working on artificial discs among other things.
    Adjacent segment disease can be a little tough to study as well. In my neck for example, my adjacent segments suck already. Will they fail down the line due to my fusion or were they going to fail anyway.
    I hope artificial discs prove good enough in long-term results to become the standard of care and improve adjacent segment disease...but only if they do prove good enough. Even if they do...it may still be a case by case kind of thing whereas for one patient option "a" is better and for another option "b".
    Keep in mind I'm no neurosurgeon...just a family doc with a fusion in his neck. I refer a lot of patients to neurosurgeons of high quality, though, and I don't see the industry using artificial discs as standard of care just yet if my referred patients are any example.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Interesting...my surgery will be one level with disc removal. Instead of a bone graft, they are installing a polymer spacer with holes drilled in it that have some bone growth stuff. It’s all tied together with a titanium plate. Is this a hybrid of a the artificial disc?

• wawaskrwawaskr Posts: 106 Baller
    @sodbuster88 what were the symptoms that finally pushed you into deciding to get your neck fused?
    Matt
    Symptoms include pain in both shoulders and upper arms, numbness, tingling and dead spots in thumbs and forearms. MRI shows no foraminal openings between c5 & c6...on either side, which is driving severe impingement to those nerve roots. Good news is no rupture to the disc, but it’s compressed to the point of slight impingement on the cord. 6 weeks PT didn’t touch it....not even sure why Dr wanted me to go through PT. Anyway, it’s time to get it fixed.
  • SethroSethro Posts: 180 Baller
    Mine is similar to the above, however there is no plate. I have artificial discs, but my own bone “shavings” were used to somehow pack in there. The shavings were recovered from drilling holes in my vertebrae to install essentially lag screws as the fusing mechanism between the vertebrae. That’s how I remember it anyway.
  • BoozeBooze Posts: 273 Baller
    @sodbuster88 - evidently that is just another approach or method to achieving the same end. The local surgeon where I live uses what you posted. I went with another surgeon in Bham that uses a "cage" or polymer spacer as you put it, but it has metal spikes that attach to the bone. The spikes evidently serve as the stabilizer rather than the plate.
    Perhaps there are other factors in the equation when it comes to plate vs no plate?

My symptoms were similar as well. Considerable impingement.
    Thx guys...had no clue that this condition (and fix) is not all that unusual. Sorta like buying a cool car...after you buy the car, you notice tons of others just like yours out on that highway.