Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12" White Stickers
BallOfSpray $5 Donation
BallOfSpray $10 Donation

Muscles between shoulder blade and spine -- ouch

TallSkinnyGuyTallSkinnyGuy Posts: 532 Crazy Baller
I made a bad mistake during the summer of 2016. I was freeskiing in our public lake behind an inexperienced driver who turned sharply into me just as I was coming out of turn. I knew another boat was behind us, so if I dropped the handle I would lose all the good water that lay before us. I therefore tried to take the slack hit. Wow, what a mistake! I felt a pop, I even heard a pop, and some damage was done to the muscles between my right shoulder blade and spine (rhomboid? trapezius?). I was really sore and couldn't ski for a few weeks, but then the pain became low enough that I started skiing again and finished out the season. I figured it would get fully healed up over the winter.

However, I started feeling some pain in the same area once I started skiing again this past season. Some days I would hardly feel it and others it hurt quite a bit and I'd have to give it a few days rest. Now here I am at the end of the season and I've only skied once in the last two weeks. I skied three days ago and previously hadn't skied for over a week. But three days ago and I had a short set and had to quit because I was feeling a sharp pain in this back muscle I'd injured the previous year. It has continued to hurt and is still hurting today as I write this.

I was trying to find some advice online yesterday about how to treat this kind of issue and one site said if you hear a popping when the injury occurs you should see a doctor right away. Oops.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of injury (seems like it might be common in this sport)? What have you done about it? Did it ultimately heal up?


  • jerrymjerrym Posts: 69 Baller
    I suffer the occasional spasm in that area but it sounds like you have a rather serious issue. Find a good PT if you don;t have one and get professional guidance on an exercise program.
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,867
    I tore the rhomboid in that manner in 2008. REALLY tough to get over then. Fast forward 9 years and having issues there now. The scar tissue is causing the rhomboid and trapezius to tighten up, which has caused havoc with my neck. To someone else with this injury, I'd recommend getting a lacrosse ball and rolling that entire area inside the shoulder blade every day against the wall.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

  • vernonreevevernonreeve Posts: 38 Baller
    My physical therapist used the graston technique to break up the scar tissue on my hamstring. He said muscles have so much blood, that they can back to full strength if the scar tissue is removed. Worked well for me. Here's a site explaining it .
  • bassfooterbassfooter Posts: 141 Baller
    @TallSkinnyGuy +1 on finding a good PT, even though you might have to go to your primary doc to get a referral. It usually takes several visits and they'll give you some homework -- some stretches and warmups -- which you should do religiously. I have one of these, which people constantly borrow: Theracane. Very effective when used correctly.
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 320 Solid Baller
    I had something really similar. In 2008 I was winter backpacking and an ice storm came through. Long story short, I ended up doing something to my upper calf. I figured just walk it off but a year later it was still hurting significantly. Then it started to impact my left ankle and foot. Went to an orthopedic who didn't tell me what was wrong but told me to just stretch and exercise (gee thanks). I went to a PT but the massaging and exercises didn't help. I happened to be at my chiropractor maybe a year later and mentioned it to him. He took a look at the area and said he felt scaring, recommending graston. Five sessions later it was like the injury never happened. Total time with the injury was almost three years.

    What I;m trying to get at here is don't wait any longer. Go get it looked at by a doc but don't let him or her just push you away. Ask questions and if the prescribed means to fix doesn't work don't hesitate to push back or go see someone else. If it is scar tissue then I highly recommend a someone skilled in graston, someone really good.
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 121 Baller
    edited November 2017
    Try finding a sports therapist that specializes in ART (active release therapy). It specializes in soft tissue injuries including removal of scar tissue.

    I had lower back issues that had gotten so bad that I had to stop all workouts, including skiing. I tried chiropractors, PT, massage, Swiss ball workouts, you name it for about 8 years. In 6 treatments (2 months) I was back to normal and able to successfully train for and complete 3 Olympic triathlon's within a year.

    If you are close to Milwaukee I have a contact that is awesome. Be sure to find one that specializes in sports injuries (iron man certified), otherwise You will just get a nice massage and not fix the root of the issue.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,015 Mega Baller
    I'm a big fan of ART and the related Graston technique. They solve problems!
    Be warned they may also hurt a LOT while being done :).
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • lcarneslcarnes Posts: 111 Solid Baller
    Graston has done wonders for me. Highly recommend it, and yes, it hurts when it's being done.
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 121 Baller
    Yep. ART hurts. Brief periods of pain for long term resolution to chronic issues is a small price to pay if you ask me. I've never had Graston.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 59 Baller
    I would say you have a rib off, it happens a lot in our sport and not many people know whatit is, my chiropractor spotted it years ago with me and it has happened several times to me and others that i know . Find a good chiropractor who understandsthis and one swift move and you will be fixed .
    Phil Hughes Champions Lake Clermont FL.
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 121 Baller
    I had a displaced rib as well this year after my rope broke and I took a very bad fall. Very painful.
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 320 Solid Baller
    ART is also good. It all depends on the issue. I'm still for starting with an orthopedic. Also, I believe there are more bad chiropractors than good so be cautious.
  • GaryWilkinsonGaryWilkinson Posts: 289 Baller
    Geez @TallSkinnyGuy get to a dr, then get an Xray and maybe even MRI. If a rib is detached it will be easy to diagnose, muscle, ligaments and tendons not as easy but have a look first.

    And really, get the diagnosis, don’t rely on advice from the internet and even from in here. You don’t want this to turn chronic. (Ask your dr what that means when you see him/her).
    I need to ski back to the handle obviously.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,543 Mega Baller
    @Than_Bogan who did you see locally for ART and graston?
    Mark Shaffer
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,015 Mega Baller
    Dr. Gillman at Gillman Chiropractic. Slightly odd duck, but great with certain soft tissue issues.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 121 Baller
    Bad about an ortho...they don't recognize any alternative medical options like chiro, ART, etc. For these things I start with alternative options then after that go to a Dr.
Sign In or Register to comment.