Comp vest recomendations

RivvyRivvy Posts: 123 Baller
This winter it’s time to replace my eagle platinum vest. It’s starting to split. I’m looking for some recommendations. Things I’m interested in are: boyancy, core support, mobility, and impact protection. I took 2 rib shots this summer and both ended up in cracked or bruised ribs. I’m contemplating another platinum, stokes, or camaro. Thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 23,672 Administrator
    I am very happy with my Stokes vest. It is comfortable and durable. @rico has a Stokes (Mapple) vest that is maybe 4 seasons old and it still looks great.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Rivvy
  • TELTEL Posts: 117 Baller
    The Camaro that Horton did a review on looks interesting with the built in back support it also looks like it has a wide band in front for added core support. I am in the market this winter also, love my O'Neal Slasher. Have checked at all local dealers no one has the Camaro in stock to try, also at $190 that is a little steep.
    Rivvy
  • wawaskrwawaskr Posts: 110 Baller
    edited November 15
    Oneill Slasher - floats great, very light, good impact protection
    Matt
    elr
  • JordanOzJordanOz Posts: 58 Baller
    Love my Stokes Evo 2. Floats me well (240lbs) and had 2 OTF's in it, and no rib complaints at all.
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 433 Solid Baller
    +1 on the O’Neill Slasher. Floats well, light, doesn’t hold water, flexible...etc. all good.
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,574
    Stokes now has the EVO 2 and the NITRO. Can anyone comment on the differences and which they like better.
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • rq0013rq0013 Posts: 538 Baller
    I liked my slasher, fit was great and it dried quickly but it was too short. I got the new Radar Drifter vest. Its longer. It floats me a tad better. I’ve only had it a few weeks, so far so good
    Rob Quetschke
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 123 Baller
    I've had my Oneill Slasher 2 full seasons with no problems, very happy with it.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,856 Mega Baller
    edited November 16
    I have a Camaro and it is comfortable and supports me well. It gets heavy when it is wet though.
    Mark Shaffer
  • shansen345shansen345 Posts: 58 Baller
    I'm a big fan of my Eagle vest. Maybe I'm too heavy, because I don't find that the Slasher floats me as much as I'd like.
    elr
  • waterskicoreywaterskicorey Posts: 113 Baller
    @Thomasasher will Stokes be having any Black Friday sales? Thanks
  • perfskiperfski Posts: 72 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @Ed_Johnson we just got in both the Stokes vests if you want to try them. @TEL Camaro had some stitching issues that they have supposedly fixed. We should be getting them soon.
    Ed_JohnsonRivvyBeeker
  • Fehlindra Fehlindra Posts: 183 Baller
    edited November 16
    @Rivvy if you looking for rib protection i think there is no good ones if you search among all fancy light and flexible sewn with pocket in all the different patterns. To get better protection bigger stiffer flotations element is needed to take up the impact and distribute the impact all over the chest instead of an big impact thats just hit an smaller area inflicting damage to the ribs and you can be gone from skiing for weeks. maybe i have wrong but "Think" oldschool HO connelly from the colorful 90s =)
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,495 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Thomasasher ordering a Stokes EVO and a super slalom short suit. Had been running an eagle vest and a camaro blacktec and both are worn out so going to give Stokes a go...looks like great stuff on the website.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Beeker
  • RivvyRivvy Posts: 123 Baller
    Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I will give a stokes evo a try this round. Although the HO Connelly is tempting? I'll try to solve the rib issue differently.
  • ricorico Posts: 29 Baller
    Stokes rocks. Great quality and comfortable. I used to buy a new vest each year from other brands, now every 5 years sounds about right
    Eric Francois - Studio City, CA - 2018 Vapor Pro Build - Reflex Super /R Style
  • EdmundEdmund Posts: 118 Baller
    I am going to give the Stokes EVO 2 a try; ordered mine yesterday.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 30 Baller
    Love the look of the EVO2 but $90 to ship to Canada makes it too pricey for a Canadian.
  • ThomasasherThomasasher Posts: 24 Baller
    Hey guys, thanks for giving the EVO 2 a go. @edmund I hope you like the jacket. Its super comfortable with what we think is a nice amount of padding without being to bulky. @rivvy We do have a high rated impact padding in the vest, so its not just for flotation but also for protection. Hope the vest will help with any unfortunate crashes. @6ball good combination, we have people skiing in the slalom suit in the UK still, think air 45-50degs and water about 50. If anyone is looking to feel one out and are in the FL area. Performance ski and Surf, Orlando and Miami Nautique carry both the NITRO and EVO 2.
    BeekerRivvy
  • BeekerBeeker Posts: 21 Baller
    @Thomasasher Thank you, I will most likely be heading to Perf ski to feel out what size fits me best..Love the reviews I have seen!
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,495 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @ironhorse my shipping was a lot less form perf ski and surf than from the stokes website. Perhaps call 'em and get a shipping quote.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • TELTEL Posts: 117 Baller

I bought a new vest and gloves at performance today. I thought I was shopping for me My mistake was taking my girlfriend so she got a new vest and gloves. Thanks Bill
    Does anyone know if the stokes is longer, shorter, or the same as an Eagle? Thank you.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,672 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

ALPJr
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,663
    @Beeker my Stokes EVO 2 is slightly shorter than my old Eagle. What I love about Stokes is that is does not absorb water like me Eagle did plus it has a little thicker padding even if you had the extra padding added in the Eagle like I had.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - USI Tech pays for my water ski addiction
    Rivvy
    @scotchipman Thank you very much, I am a 6'4" 190lbs 39 chest, tall and thin, just do not want to get a vest that is too short but floats me ok!
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 30 Baller
    Thanks 6balls