D3 NRG Review

HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator
edited November 20 in Ski Tests

Intro:
The NRG represents a departure from D3’s reputation of conservative and incremental ski development. This ski looks different than previous D3s. The one thing that the NRG shares with all previous D3s is that it feels comfortable the first time you ride it.

NRG

General Feel:
The NRG turns smooth on both sides, makes ample speed to the wakes, and then slows down quickly approaching the next turn. From the gate pull out to the exit gates, the ski does nothing unfriendly or unexpected but getting the most out of this ski is a nuanced affair.

Ball to the wakes:
If mistakes are made at the ball, one of the NRG’s best attributes is that it allows the skier to regain position and repoint the ski across the lake.

Skiers who do not lean harder than necessary will generate enough speed to be wide and early at the next ball. Skiers who apply excess load heading into the first wake may find the path to the next ball to be not as fluid as it could be.

NRG 2

Wakes to the ball:
The NRG creates plenty of space in front of the ball and slows down quickly approaching apex. The ski is very stable both side to side and front to back making it easy for the skier to stand where they need to. As noted below in the On Side section, keeping the handle close to the skier’s center of mass after the second wake is the key to unlocking this skis full potential.

Off Side:
The Off Side turns on the NRG are absolutely phenomenal. The ski consistently carves a smooth tight arc under the line and heads for the other side of the course. Its stability in the pre-turn is especially apparent approaching Off Side.

When running wide and early it is recommended that the skier temper aggression at apex to avoid over turning.

When the skier is at their hardest pass and starts to scramble, the Off Side turns happen automatically. This one characteristic of the NRG will result in additional balls.

NRG 3

On Side:
On Side turns on the NRG can be almost as good as the Off Side turns but require the skier to maintain connection and outbound direction off the second wake. Skiers who release the handle (lose connection) too early after edge change will experience inconsistent On Side turns. This issue is more critical on the NRG than on any other ski tested to date.

Skiers whose technique emphasizes connection off the second wake will find that the On Side turns are as dependable as the Off Side turns. The NRG is remarkably tolerant to other technical mistakes approaching On Side.

Other Notes:
Is the NRG a fast ski or a slow ski? Impressions of the amount of work the ski requires are dependent on fin and binding settings. The NRG consistently gets wide enough even if the skier makes technical mistakes so I would call this ski “fast-ish”.

Another outstanding quality of this ski is how it preforms when the skier is desperately scrambling to run a pass. After a substantial mistake is made, if the skier can stay calm and just keep skiing they will round more additional balls than expected.

Skiers may have to adjust their gate pull out technique to avoid losing width before turn in. This is because the NRG slows down so effectively. This trait is not a bad thing, but it does require an adjustment.

Conclusions:
For a skier who maintains good connection off the second wake and can resist being too heavy on the line, the NRG draws a very smooth path through the course. For a skier who struggles with connection, the NRG still offers nearly magical Off Side turns but inconsistent On Side turns.

NRG 4

Settings:
Over 35 rides I tried 6 or 7 different settings. The below two worked best for me on the 67" ski.

Poscente
30"

Crawford / Bush
29 9/16

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Than_Boganchris55skibrainEd_JohnsonJordanballsohardgregyBill22

Comments

• skibrainskibrain Posts: 865 Crazy Baller
    Nice. @Horton of the two preferred setups, was there a noticeable difference or preference in feel? Or one that improved consistency on-side. Pretty significant binding move.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator
    @skibrain it's hard to say because my understanding the ski was evolving when I went from one setting to the other. I think I might have been more consistent with the numbers provided by Jay but my best actual score on the ski was with the Crawford/Bush numbers.

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• MikeMcMikeMc Posts: 5 Baller
    @Horton nice review on the NRG. Excellent prospective. Sounds like a winner.
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,575
    @Horton ... Thank you for an excellent review...With only 5 rides on the NRG I have to agree with your evaluation. Especially the offside turns, they are tight but soooooo smooth. Only problem I see with the onside is you must have a quiet upper body. Any upper body rotation will cause you to overturn. "Just let it finish."

As far as settings, around 2.450 seems to be the magic number on depth, 7 degrees on the wing. .790 - .805 DFT. As far as length, my ski really likes 6.980. It becomes really fast and light. Also allows for some amazing late, last minute turns.

When I tried short/deep settings, the ski was ultra stable but a lot more work. I have always been a short/deep guy on other skis, so I had to try it, but it became a Tank and I went back to the shallow settings.

As Horton said, this is not your Grandad's D3. It's more like a Formula Car, and is really reactive to the proper settings. On the plus side, I felt it was really easy to feel the result of the different settings and no matter what you set in, it never does anything to be scared of. This is probably the safest high performance ski out there.

Once again, Thanks to @Horton for the great review. It was his interest and skiing on it that convinced me to try it, and I'm grateful for that....BOS Rocks !!!!

Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • Fam-manFam-man Posts: 123 Baller
    Thanks again for the review
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 16 Baller
    edited November 19
    Awesome review! How do you think this ski would perform at 15 off? Would it be a good tool to use to progress?
    @ballsohard it would be really good at that level.

ballsohardJordan
    @horton In the other thread with your two video posts, i like the first vid seeing the way you finish the turn right into a strong deep stack at -32 and -35. Looks like a lot of fun.
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,160 Mega Baller
    For what it's worth, I'd recommend moving the bindings forward to 30.1 with my numbers. Binding location is really important on this ski.
    6.913 (tips)
    .815 (head)
    30.1"
    www.FinWhispering.com ... because understanding is better than memorizing
    ballsohard
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,856 Mega Baller
    @SkiJay how are you getting the binding to move to 30.1 a MikroJust or something similar? Generally the holes don't move that fine do they?
    Mark Shaffer
    I have gotten at least 3 messages asking what size ski those settings are for. 67"

@Chef23
    I use Mikro-Just, which moves in ¹/20" (. 050") increments. Radar's new carbon Sequence plate moves in ¹/16". However you achieve it, micro tuning binding location is the key to dialing in smear at max lean angles around the ball.
  • JASJAS Posts: 138 Baller
    @SkiJay as most front and rear bindings are mounted independent of each other, How does a change of binding spacing fit into mix? For example would moving back binding back one hole be similar to moving front binding back .1 inch?
    @JAS
    This is a complex question, and we should keep this thread focused on the NRG review.
    So the short answer is that there are significant differences in how the front and rear bindings affect the ski, with precise location of the front being many times more important to overall performance than the rear.
    Horton
    What technique adjustment was required for your gates on this ski? What do you think causes the ski to feel different at the gates? @Horton
    Andre
  • JayproJaypro Posts: 102 Baller
    @Horton you commented that you felt that the NRG would be good for a 15' off skier. With the fantastic "mid level" skis, Senates, Omni's, Connelly Carbon V, would you put the NRG in that mix? What attributes of the NRG lend itself to the 15-22 off 30-34 mph skier? Thanks as always for the review and the great forum!!
    @Jaypro ... I totally agree with Horton on this. You know how some of the new high performance cars now have electronic ride selection, ie: Touring, Competition Mode etc. Well the NRG is just like that. You can tune it short/deep and be Super Stable, still have great turns, and give yourself a little more time to get into your fully leveraged position. You can also start shallowing the fin in depth and adding more tip, making the ski feel lighter and faster. This has the effect of engageing more tip pressure, which is the really strong point of this ski.

Bottom line, you can easily tune this super stable for a beginning 15 off skier, or light, fast, and looser for the 38off skier. It will do it all.

@Ed_Johnson I would put a 15 off skier on my same settings.

@Jaypro The ski is stable and user friendly. Would be great for 15 off skiers.

ballsohard
    edited November 24
    @Horton Your ARC review ended with this line "In the case of the 2016 D3 ARC, I have to say that it is one of the very best skis that I have ever ridden." Your NRG review doesn't make a comparison with the ARC. Any comments? Thx.
    @skibrain The NRG is a very good ski. It is better than most skis I ride.

Direct comparisons between skis is something I avoid.

Fair enough. Thx
  • santangelosantangelo Posts: 150 Solid Baller
    @skibrain , I've ridden the 67 ARC S for a year and have been on the NRG for a few weeks now. If there is one distinguishing trait I felt immediately was the finish of the offside turn was more stable and carried inbound more/easier than the ARC. The ARC was already very good at this and I had no issues with it, but the NRG was noticeably better. I had another person coming from a Q45 that said the same thing without being prompted.

I didn't notice any change in speed cross course. Speed is sufficient. It's overall stability is classic D3 and easily rideable by all allowing mistakes without punishment.

When I get a new D3, I typically set it up exactly like the ski I'm currently on and it's generally pretty close. This was not the case with the NRG. Very different settings and I'm still making minor adjustments.

BTW, 67 ARC S for sale.
    ballsohard
    @santangelo ..... Interested in what fin settings you settle on. I also tried to set mine up to favorite past settings, which are normally short and deep, and that did not work at all. Finally ended up with long and shallow. For me it was trying to maximize tip pressure off the apex without tip bite.

Offsides were great with any fin setting. So setting it up for the onside turn was key, without it overturning...The ski really comes alive at 35 off like I've never seen before.

@santangelo Thx. Sounds good, and I might have a ski bud that is interested in your ARC-s.
    @santangelo what was the binding placement on your ARC-S and what is it now on the NRG?
    @Ed_Johnson did you notice the importance of handle control in order to achieve a consistent onside like Horton alluded to? If so how hard was it for you to achieve this compared to on other comparable ski's?
    edited November 28
    @ballsohard ... I believe it's always important to maintain good handle control on any ski. With the NRG it's important to be free of the boat at Apex, fall into the turn with built up momentum, that it does quite well, and most of all, on the onside, do not force a hard turn. It will come off the apex and set angle if you let it and not force it.

Also, this ski needs to be setup for the onside turn. In all my settings I tried, the offside turn always worked, Unless you put the fin on backwards, it will always get a great offside turn. Better than any other ski I have ever tried.

Right now I'm zeroing in with very small adjustments to get the onside just right. Even offset depth...However, the biggest factor I have found is DFT. Factory DFT gave me tip bite. It has to be forward of that. I believe Horton was like .815 and I'm edging my way there. Last set at .79 felt really good. I've already set it at .808 for the next set.

ballsohard
  • santangelosantangelo Posts: 150 Solid Baller
    @ballsohard , 29.5625 on both ARC-S and NRG, but tempted to move it back an 1/8". I have front Reflex with modified rear kick-in.
    ballsohard
    Coming from a 2013 Syndicate A3 I am curious how the NRG will compare
    @santangelo could you describe or post a picture of your rear binding? What did you modify about it?