I can not show you the new fin from Denali

HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

santangeloThan_BoganWishChef23KRoundyBill229400adamhcaldwellmmosley8996ballsballsohardBlueSkiricobigskieridahoandjulesjayskiJASBulldogBG1SkiJayAlvin_NeffDWsunvalleylaw

Comments

• WaterSkier12WaterSkier12 Posts: 112 Baller
    Carbon?
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,158 Mega Baller
    Yea! Bring back the tail slide!!!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

adamhcaldwell
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 803 Crazy Baller
    I got wood.
    Than_Bogan
  • cruznskicruznski Posts: 39 Baller
    this is intriguing o dark one. There resideth an Ol' Schnitz Slotfin in the garage (it may still be on the ancient Goode 9100) I may have to resurrect it just for the holiday fin of it all. I recall the wings were very thin on these.
    mmosley899
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 408 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @cruznski I have one of those fins also, it was next on my list to evaluate. Yes very thin small wing. Currently enjoying swerving with another unique shape which exhibits many of the same characteristics.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    @mmosley899 ah yes, 'tis good to know the old fin warriors are still out there. One must admit the slot makes the shallow v deep conversation a wee bit more complex. For one thing, the slot fins were really nicely made and finished and I recall on old Goodes they were a +.
    WaterSkier12mmosley899
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,575
    edited November 24
    Schnitz has his NEW Slot Fins for sale on his Web-Site at SCHNITZSKIS.COM. I used the old ones for years, especially on Goode's and they made a huge difference. Pulled this off his site.

My new and improved SlotFin. Same shape, minor upgrades! $149.99 plus $6.99 SH in the USA. Outside the USA, shipping costs will vary.

PS: GREAT VIDEO !!!!!!!
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    MSWaterSkier12
  • wilecoyotewilecoyote Posts: 143 Baller
    I have a decent grasp of the aerodynamics and hydrodynamics of the the water sports I enjoy, and yet slalom ski fins confound me. Perhaps someone who understands better than I can explain a couple of things. Why do we not use foiled fins and what's up with all the holes?

The basic shape I get. It's essentially a delta wing which doesn't reach a point of stall as angle of attack increases, it just continues to loose lift. This makes sense as the fin never completely stops working, it just slides more the more it's pushed. The problem is, it's not a particularly efficient shape, and when you punch a bunch of holes in it, you make it worse. I may do this experiment my self, but I would wager that if you were to draw a line connecting the edges of all the holes, and then cut the fin along that line, it would perform nearly the same.
    adamhcaldwell
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 949 Solid Baller
    Fantastic video!!! Made me laugh out loud.
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
    Than_Boganadamhcaldwell
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,160 Mega Baller
    edited November 25
    I'd recommend you keep that wager small @wilecoyote ... and you'll want video rolling right from the pullout. It feels a bit like dress shoes on ice. You can walk around okay, but it feels insecure enough to discourage any thoughts of running.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... because understanding is better than memorizing
    HortonWishBruce_Butterfield
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator
    @wilecoyote the holes act as pressure relief.

If you think about a fin under static pressure - you can define it with center of pressure and amount of drag. The problem is with that thinking is that the angles and pressures are never static. A slalom turn is a long dynamic slide where the angles are constantly changing. Even Adrian Newey will admit there is alchemy in the science.

As a side note - I believe that the standard fin shape is the way it is because it is easy to make by hand - not because it is best. Back when I made CarbonFins I made hundreds of fins by hand. The standard shapes are easy to make and arguably organic.

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Than_BoganWaterSkier12SkiJay
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,632 Mega Baller
    Also very fun for the guinea pigs!
    I can attest that there were quite a few ideas that were abandoned, but the bottom line is this new fin WORKS.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    WishadamhcaldwellJordan
    I did not do a direct compare between the old fin and the new fin but whatever was going on today it felt really crazy good. I can not comment on the specific claims about the fin shape but I am 100% sure it does not suck.

If you do not believe me as @Rico if I was excited after my second ride.

Than_Boganadamhcaldwell
  • JASJAS Posts: 138 Baller
    An interesting extension to this discussion would be the question whether all skis could be performance enhanced with “shape tuning”?
    edited November 27
    @JAS the reason for the ridiculously silly video I made about this fin is that there is another "feature" of the fin that @AdamCord asked me not to show. At this time of year I can not really do an A/B comparison between a fin with and without the "feature" but my guess is that it really makes a big differnece. Until the Patent Pending stuff is all legal I think they do not want me to say more.

adamhcaldwellDano
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,849 Crazy Baller
    My guess based on lighting was some form of surface texturing or steps. Waiting to see
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 229 Baller
    This sound very intersting so my question is : would it be possible to put the fin on a Mapple T2 for exemple or an Omni and get all the advantage of this new "science" fin ?
    Thanks for your answer @AdamCord
  • AdamCordAdamCord Posts: 484 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @Horton yes still working on getting the patent filed.

@BraceMaker good guess but no

@chris55 the science fin will help any ski, and we are offering them for free with the purchase of a Denali ski if you want to try it >:) >:)
    WaterSkier12chris55skialex
    @mmosley899 indeed the ol' slot fin was on the 9100 Goode, here it is. This set up whistled, which was not good but you could hear the ski slowing down and accelerating.
    The CG does sort of resemble a slot fin but it is really a different deal.

adamhcaldwell
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 408 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @cruznski yep that is one of the fins I have.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller