My top ten most influential skis ever list

HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator
edited December 2 in Skis Fins Bindings
Not the 10 greatest skis ever but the 10 most influential or historically significant (non-wood) skis ever. Of course this is just wintertime conversation and conjecture.

Goode 9100
Goode Nano One
Taperflex Apex
Kidder Redline
Connelly HP
O'Brien Sixam
HO CDX/Phantom
HO A1
KD 7000
EP Stiletto

Ok Argue!

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

pgmooreaupatkingDWpumpinpete

Comments

• pgmoorepgmoore Posts: 175 Baller
    My first realish ski was a Kidder Redline (junior). My second real ski was a KD 7000. So, I have a particular affinity for those two entries on your list.
    Patrick Moore
    shansen345
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,379 Mega Baller
    Some of my best skiing was on a Connelly HP. A college teammate was getting into 38off on his although he told me his were not stock.
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 784 Crazy Baller
    O’Brien TRC we all wanted one
    HO Extreme was the 80’s game changer
    Connelly Concept was solid....solid
    Jobe 1600 going Edge-to-edge tunnel when folks were still putting bumps in their rails. (I just reread and sounds wrong, just wrong. Leaving it)
    I’ll concede the Redline
    El Bruto with the tunnel
    Goode 9100 and I don’t like to admit he did anything good. (He really has)
    HO A1
    Goode Nano 1 (just can’t argue)
    D3 X7
    ToddA
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,059 Crazy Baller
    Agree on the Kidders. Would throw the Connelly Shortline in there.
    wtrskier197pumpinpete
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,815 Mega Baller
    Nope. @Horton got every one!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,925 Crazy Baller
    Only owned one of those, the KD 7000. Agree.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • pcmcon729pcmcon729 Posts: 18 Baller
    I think @Horton is pretty damn close, although, I would drop the HO A1, and Sixam, and add Connelly Concept, as everyone had one. The Goode 9100 was an absolute game changer. When I got the 9100, not many folks in the northeast had one yet. I felt almost like I had an unfair advantage on that ski.
    Than_Bogan
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 803 Crazy Baller
    The El Diablo "Lil Monster"! Woohooo...and...the Maherajah
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator
    edited December 2
    @pcmcon729
    I pondered the Concept. Connelly sold the $h*t out of those things. Perhaps they sold way more than the HP. The difference in my mind is that the HP arguably influenced many other ski designs from other factories.

The A1 and the Sixam were clear game changers.

Around the time the A1 came out, I went to the California Pro-Am and payed attention to what skis were being ridden by elite skiers who did not have a factory ride. At that time unsponsored pro skiers were overwhelmingly skiing on some Goode or the HO A1. It was the ski of choice for skiers in the know.

Besides that I think that it was one of the first completely unique designs of the modern all carbon era. The DNA of that ski can be found in many skis today.

The Sixam was the best ski Mapple ever designed and the first non-Goode that was really fast. It had some manufacturing & longevity issues so maybe there are not a huge number of them out there.

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• DaveDDaveD Posts: 543 Crazy Baller
    With the love that the Vapor has gotten on this site, I can't believe that's not on the list.
  • JASJAS Posts: 138 Baller

Not sure if the Concept or 5 buckle vest but certainly on my list.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,632 Mega Baller
    I broadly agree with the list. I think if it is sorted then the 9100 and the HP are 1,2.

I predict the c-65 will be on such a list in a few years.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,496 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Loved the Stiletto (after owning Comp's and FX200's...GX3 not so much). Also loved the KD 7000 and virtually all KD/D3 that followed til I jumped ship in 2010. Not influential in the market but best and most consistent scores ever on a Razor from 2010 to 2015.
    Denali 3.1 was just awesome--love the thinking behind their ongoing designs.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 865 Crazy Baller
    Nano One and A1 the “newest” skis on the list? And at that, not very new.

@Horton Assignment for 2018 please: ski review on each ski on your list. with video.
    Horton
  • MSMS Posts: 4,298 Mega Baller
    Need to add the Tech-1 and Monza. Take the Phantom off the back of the CDX.
    Shut up and ski
    dchristmanRAWSki
    edited December 2
    @DaveD Which Vapor? The 14-15, 16-17 and 18 are totally different skis. If the list was my personal favorite skis ever you can bet at least one of the Vapors would be on the list. I am going to say a ski has to be a few years older before it can be on this list.

• Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 225 Solid Baller
    HO Mach 1 might make the list.

What about the tunnel design of the Torque Supercomp!
    thager
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,815 Mega Baller
    @Mike Gile Best blowout ski ever! Coolest top design though!!!!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    edited December 2
    @Mike Gile yea that could be a major oversight on my part as long as we are talking about the original O'Brien Mach 1.

• JC McCavitJC McCavit Posts: 434 Baller
    edited December 2
    O'Brien Competitor edge to edge concave. Ski let the regular Joe's ski right past the better skiers riding EP and Connelly Shortline.
    JC McCavit
  • RichRich Posts: 242 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited December 3
    The better Obrien way back was either the "special" an all white version of the original obrien competition. The really good competition had a red painted bottom that you had to take the paint off of. The less desirable mach 1 had a aluminum top and had the color on the bottom impregnated in the glass. That ski was too stiff according to Leroy Burnett. Leroy Burnett designed that ski along with the Connely HP. Bob Lapoint rode the Obrien competition usa for years with different painted tops in early to later 70's. It became a painted top jobe, maha. I still have one in my garage. Great ski!
    Horton
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 865 Crazy Baller

david_skiMuskokaKy
  • RichRich Posts: 242 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited December 3
    that is an aluminum top, its slightly silver, the good ones were white called competition, not silver, called mach 1. The all glass one was white and had a softer flex
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,857 Mega Baller
    O’Brien Competition and EP Comp 1 lead us from wood to glass.

Maha really stepped up the binding part of the equation.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    Horton
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,326 Crazy Baller
    EP Comp X2
    HortonbassfooterPat M
  • cruznskicruznski Posts: 39 Baller
    Great list! And in the course of history (that's a pun) I skied the Connelly HP, EP Stilleto, KD7000, Sixam (which I skied in a tournament as recently as 2016) and Goode 9100. Still have a wood 64" Obrien Competition which changed my world in the 60's. The Connelly Shortline. And have to agree with Taperflex but I do not recall the models thereof. Thanks for the concept of bringing his up. The Mahas , too- photo
    ToddA
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,779 Mega Baller
    Skis that took me to next levels:

9100/9500
    Stilletto
    HO Extrme
    EP Comp X2

I got pregnant after the 9500 and still waiting to lose the baby weight.
    skialex
  • CBR51CBR51 Posts: 32 Baller
    Apex, Redline, Concept/ Rocket, KD7000, Stilletto, SIXAM, Nano 1