Drones

HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator
I am super curious to watch drone footage for specific segments of slalom. What I do not what to do is invest thousands of dollars and months learning to fly the thing. Is there any "easy button drone" yet?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Comments

• MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,879 Mega Baller
    Mavic is supposedly quite easy.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,885 Moderator
    I believe @jMacSkis has had some success with the AirDog
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,849 Crazy Baller
    Just search your local craigslist -

https://goo.gl/MXvCqr

See if you can get a guy out for an hour or two and get your shots. No need to learn anything. Probably put the "barn photographers" out of business.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 1,925 Crazy Baller
    edited December 4
    A guy at our lake has one and does a pretty good job with minimum experience. I can't remember what he spent on it. A few hundred, less than $400 I think. Problem with his however is its top speed is about 32. Loses ground on a 34 skier. His has a feature where it will return to its take off location when you say return and will do the same if it's battery gets below a certain percentage. Connect it to a tablet and it looks like you're on it. Just fly with two joy sticks.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,879 Mega Baller
    Mavic will do 40 mph in sport mode.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 371 Crazy Baller
    I have a phantom 2. It has a range of roughly 2000 feet and will fly about 32mph.
    I bought it from my teenage son who got an upgrade. It's fun.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,779 Mega Baller
    I don’t know the price points, but there are models that you put in the air and focus on a skier and it will flollow them at the distance you originally set. Downhill skiers use as well as police when they lock on a suspect.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,779 Mega Baller
    This one cost $20K. FLIR camera was $10K.
    Holds GPS position in high winds and will follow a criminal anywhere. We donated to the Sheriff’s Office and they brought it by for a demo. Really fast and crazy technology.

MISkierjayski
  • pregompregom Posts: 73 Baller
    A friend of mine has the DJI Phantom 4 pro. It's super-easy to use and a ton of fun. It's also very fast -- the page I linked says 72 km/h, so that should be plenty, even when following a skier at 36 mph. If I have to find a drawback, I'd say that the propellers are quite noisy.
  • rwskierrwskier Posts: 233 Solid Baller
    @Horton It really does not get much easier than The DJI Mavic. It folds up and is super easy to pack around. as a beginner it has a bunch of fail safe functions built in and as you get a bit better at flying the sport mode will keep up and pass the boat at a max speed of 40 mph. After some time of flying you will find that there are other controller apps like Litchi that will allow you to program in way points by the simple touch of the screen that allow full autonomous flight.
    Russell W. -
    MISkier
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator
    I like the way I said I do not want to spend thousands and the cheapest drone you guys mention is $999.99

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• 96SNEFI96SNEFI Posts: 10 Baller
    Keep in mind that the authorities, just about wherever you are in the world, are all over regulating these things due to idiots flying them idiotically. Get caught or complained on a fine could be pretty hefty.
    edited December 5
    @96SNEFI funny you should say that. Every time I go to my dock to relax at the end of a summer day (weekend), one these A-Holes buzzes my lake at 100 feet. Makes it hard to believe the FAA would notice a drone around my lake.

• pregompregom Posts: 73 Baller
    I’m not in the market for a drone, but I don’t think there is a decent one with a decent camera that is less than $1k. Just like there is no decent ski for less than that amount, right? :)
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,815 Mega Baller
    @Horton There is a special waiver at the FAA for those guys to buzz you. Otherwise, you need to call in a complaint. Rarely does anyone there ever leave their desk. Much too busy answering Sheldon Cooper questions on the computer that have nothing to do with anything aviation related! Good luck!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • blinddogblinddog Posts: 48 Baller
    I bought one this summer specifically to film slalom, it's an Autel X Star Premium, $650 refurbished directly from Autel (looked brand new), or at Best Buy new for $800. www.autelrobotics.com. It is easy to fly, as any of them are. I did a lot of research before buying, it is the highest rated in it's class, better than the comparable DJI drones in that price range. Customer service from Autel is excellent, and the drone is very, very smart with a lot of built in safety features. Their site has a lot of how-to videos so I basically knew how to fly it before I even received it. Comes with a very nice hard case too. I am the guy mentioned by @LeonL above. As Leon mentioned, the drawback is the max speed of 32 mph and if there's any wind, it wont reach that speed. It does have an excellent high def video/still camera and takes great video. If you want one that will keep up with a 36 mph skier, you will need one rated for at least 40 mph. @rwskier mentioned the DJI Mavic Pro that goes 40 mph in sport mode, problem is all the safety functions are disabled in sport mode and believe me you want the safety functions or you will end up with your drone at the bottom of the lake. If you want one that goes 40 and keeps the safety functions, you will likely spend at least $1200, probably more. No matter which drone you buy, the max battery life is 20-25 mins, so you will need a minimum of 2 batteries, I have 3. Extra batteries are $80-$100 each. If anyone wants to see video I took, PM me and I'll send you a link to my dropbox, it's very cool.
  • rwskierrwskier Posts: 233 Solid Baller
    Ha ha @Horton just think of it this way, anyone could get several of them for the same price as any one of the upper end slalom skis.
    Russell W. -
  • Lake3Lake3 Posts: 15 Baller
    B happy to come down from Washington state and fly for you. Might ask for a down and back or two in return. Have a phantom 4 with 4K camera.
    Bill22
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 332 Crazy Baller
    edited December 5
    @Horton Maybe you could start doing drone tests and get the manufacturers to send some to you for a period of time for you to test:) Perhaps new advertisers!
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,815 Mega Baller
    @Horton would be perfect for the job! After testing he could drone on and on about the review....
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    dvskier
    Less reviews please. I just want to ski.

There was some video footage that Mapple did a number of years back where he actually had somebody on a ladder in a fixed position shooting down on the skiers approaching the ball. I'm intrigued by that kind of stuff much more than I am interested in "making movies."

After reading this thread and doing some research on the internet I think I need to find some kids or Ballers with drones and just supply at the smooth water and the ProStar.

• John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 272 Crazy Baller
    @Horton would @MarcusBrown have some thoughts for you?
  • Mateo VargasMateo Vargas Posts: 689 Crazy Baller
    Isn’t @Dirt a drone?
    Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
    Dirt

DirtMateo Vargas
  • Kwoody51Kwoody51 Posts: 20 Baller
    edited December 11
    If you are looking to shoot stationary but elevated video then I would think any GPS enabled drone would work. Just find a DJI one on Craigslist for ~$400.

Point it at your ball of choice and then run the pass. Just have it high enough to avoid hitting it with the spray! Launch from shore and if battery runs low it will fly itself back to shore.