Just sets - Orlando

scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,663
edited December 6 in Other Stuff
I might be in Orlando Jan 12-15. Any suggestions on where I can ski? I'm not really looking for instruction, just want to get out and ski a few sets on a few different days.

Thanks!
- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
- USI Tech pays for my water ski addiction

Comments

• jayskijayski Posts: 520 Crazy Baller
    Lapoint's ski park
    scotchipmanALPJr
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 549 Crazy Baller
    Like mentioned, LaPoints. They’re pretty accommodating. I’ve started going there once a week on my lunch break.
    scotchipmanALPJr
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,663
    Thanks. How much does LaPoints charge per set?
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,856 Mega Baller
    @lpskier can explain how Lapoints works and what it costs. He has always hooked me up when I have been down there.
    Mark Shaffer
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,857 Mega Baller
    @scotchipman Hey, Scott. We are 20 minutes from the airport, just south of downtown Orlando and close to a slew of hotels and restaurants. I’m sorry to have undersell Travis @theboardingschool (he has a great three lake site on the east side), but we are $30 a set uncoached. I’ll be here while you’re in town and I’d be happy to set you up. You have my email address and I think my cell number. If you’d like to ski with us, give me a shout and we’ll get you in the book. You also can message me through BOS

John
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    jayski
  • powbmpspowbmps Posts: 31 Baller
    I know this is a rookie question, but what is meant when you say $$ per set? Is that a number of passes, or a specific amount of time?
    @powbmps That’s a good question. I think the best definition (at least as i use the term) is your skiing between the start and finish of a single ski session. “I skied two sets today” would mean I skied twice. How many “passes” back and forth in the slalom course (or how many times over the jump, or how long a trick ski session) that make up a set is not necessarily defined, although a commercial slalom set or a club set on a busy day often (but not always) means six passes.
    powbmps
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,663
    Thanks @lpskier I will for sure come ski with you if I end up in town, still not finalized. @theboardingschool thanks for the invite, I skied there many years ago when @Chris Rossi was there, love the site.
    @powbmps before I was in the course coach Matt Rini defined a set as 6 passes in the course or 30 minutes of free skiing/drills.
    powbmps
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,745 Mega Baller
    @theboardingschool - intriguing. Depending on weather during the week of December 25 my wife and I may be giving you a call. What do you require for a heads up of people wanting to ski?

@lpskier - will you be at LaPoint Ski Park during the week of December 25?

One thing for sure is that if you go to Orlando there are plenty of options to ski. Love it!
  • theboardingschooltheboardingschool Posts: 58 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @Skoot1123 just email or text me when you guys are looking to come out.

Thanks,
    Travis

travis@theboardingschool.com
    407 484 5525
  • powbmpspowbmps Posts: 31 Baller
    So 6 passes for $30, or 8 passes for $40? Either way sounds like a bargain to me. Winter hasn't even started in NH, and I'm ready for summer. Need to keep an eye on round trip ticket prices to Orlando!
    Of course, I don’t think I ever had a place count passes nor minutes within reason.
    @scoot1123 Yes, we will be here and skiing. We would be happy to host you.

$30 an uncoached set. Within reason, a LSP “set” is until you get tired or start looking scary. A six pass set I think is the “industry norm,” but not everyone, apparently including Travis and us, are somewhat more liberal.

And no, I am not just trying to outbid @theboardingschool . They have a great site and they are a blast to ski with.

@powbmps Watch Allegiant airlines out of Portsmouth into Sanford. You can probably fly round trip for under $200, plus your bags.