Best place for a water skier to live

HortonHorton Posts: 24,609 Administrator
edited December 2017 in Other Stuff
I was dreaming about moving today....

Bakersfield
Days without wind, maybe the best in the world. The water is a mirror almost every day. No $h*t.
Days warm enough to ski without a drysuit - 9 or 10 months
Size of the skiing community - tiny
Cost of ski lake access - hundreds of thousands of dollars
Quality of life (schools, restaurants, culture and such) on a scale of 1 to 10 = 1
Air quality on a scale of 1 to 10 = .5

So where is the best place in the world for a skier to live?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

Comments

• gregygregy Posts: 2,400 Mega Baller
    for just skiing Bakersfield seems hard to beat. What's wrong with the air quality in Bakersfield? There are some pretty nice places in Texas that are close to major cities. Probably any of the southern states would have a lower cost of living.
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 456 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2017
    For just water skiing, no consideration for snow skiing......Central florida by far!!!! Year round skiing without even a wetsuit needed, or various combinations of heater tops, spring suits etc for a little more comfort. We do battle the winds at times, but there are a lot of smaller lakes that manage the winds pretty well, or get up early (which we haven't really managed to accomplish.) Pros and top level ski schools everywhere. Great events like the BB&B and KOD. And boating in general, from the multiple chain of lakes, springs, and coastal areas within about an hour of everywhere. I constantly kick myself for living here for almost 30 years and only taking advantage of the boating/water skiing for the last 5 years.

Not too long ago I was browsing around at Performance Ski (another advantage of Central Florida) and stopped to look at the dry suits. I told my girlfriend that the day I have to ware a dry suit is the day I need to move.
    6ballsWaterSkier12Bulldog
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,988 Mega Baller

John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    randy meny
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,069 Mega Baller
    I know it isn't in the greater Boston area. We have good public access within about 20 minutes of downtown Boston and I am aware of a number of other sites both public and private within an hour of Boston. That said the season is short and housing expensive. I am tremendously fortunate to own a house on public water with a slalom course and have multiple ski partners available with flexible schedules. I would love to be able to ski a longer season though.
    Mark Shaffer
    Than_BoganKeith MenardBdeckerrandy meny
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 467 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2017
    @Golfguy
    Have looked all over the greater Phoenix area and same problem as @Horton in that other stuff to do is 1-1.5 hours away from reasonably priced skiing (Buchli, Lakeside, Spring Mountain). And the closer lakes are only for the super rich (Crystal Point, San Tan) and the min. sq. ft house size is way more space and cost than anyone needs. Especially as it would be used only for the 6 months of our winter.
    It kills me that my wife loves Phoenix and would be on board to buy a place “down south” for winter but neither of us want to be that far away from decent shopping, restaurants and other things to do.
    WoodySkier
  • WolfeieWolfeie Posts: 163 Baller
    As far as Bako goes, that's why a majority of us live in really nice communities in the L.A. and Orange County areas and go to Bako on weekends to ski. You can't beat Bako for skiing, no winds (or hurricanes), reasonable size bugs, fairly low humidity and storms,
    great sunsets and over 9 months of skiing with no dry suits. One of our owners jokes how he leaves Malibu to come to Bako on weekends. Normally 90 minute drive all highway.
    Brad Wolfe - Ski West Village, Arvin, Ca; Radar Pro Build, SN 200, I can see Ball of Spray headquarters from my lake house.
    lpskier
  • colo_skiercolo_skier Posts: 765 Solid Baller
    Sounds like Charlie in 2 1/2 men and Sherman Oaks.
    Not sure I know what I am doing. The boat goes I follow. Trying to perfect the deep water start. Squirrel!
  • Greg BanishGreg Banish Posts: 94 Baller
    @dbski That looks like the site in Tecumseh where I got to train with Wade a few years ago. Incredible site, just wish it was closer to me. I'd still prefer a warmer climate. Our season of skiing comfortably is about 6 months at best. Everything else is varying degrees of misery. One of my retirement criteria is picking a location where palm trees can grow natively. This guarantees a better season length. Then you just need a site that isn't at the mercy of the wind.
  • dbskidbski Posts: 201 Crazy Baller
    Shhhh!!!! We don't want people to know where we are at! Just kidding, yes just north of Tecumseh.
    Rick Bohn
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 467 Crazy Baller
    Speaking of wind...How is Canyon Lake in Cali?
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 924 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2017
    @keithh2oskier thanks for that. Photo actually looks like he is on a lake. Must be a Baller trying to hurry the spring thaw so he can drop the boat in.
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 924 Crazy Baller
    @gsm_peter “we have .....world record in taxes“. But healthcare, public transportation and education is “free”
    akale15hacker
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,203 Crazy Baller
    @skibrain - glass houses our peak tax rates are only a few % off sweden.
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 947 Mega Baller
    Just let me know when you find it. Grey, short days depress me. I’m ready to go south. Equator south.
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 315 Baller
    Most people will live lots of places when they are single and/or don't have kids. Once you have a kid priorities change. Good schools, proximity to friends etc.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
    jcampThan_Boganbishop8950
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,719 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I can't argue for MN...sorry it's climate. I live on a public lake with a course, I'm 45 minutes from a private two lake set up, I'm 10 miles from two seldom used public lakes with courses that have wind protection. The season...the really nice part where I wear shorts and a vest the season is short. We use all we can, but geez I think the candidates for the top of this list need be south.
    Bako no amenities, AZ expensive, I have no TX experience, some affordable joints in FL for sure not too far from civilization.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,485
    Northern states of Australia offer some pretty amazing year round weather conditions, Florida like. There are some good lakes around as well - Bushy Brown's man made lake at Woodford QLD is world class as is Stoney Park on the NSW central coast.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

• thagerthager Posts: 3,985 Mega Baller
    Driving distance from a friend that lives on a private lake!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    braindamageMS
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,400 Mega Baller
    Just home school the kids.
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 247 Crazy Baller
    Can't say if its the best but I have to admit we have it pretty good. Live on a ski lake , few homeowners with plenty of water time. 8 months of no wetsuit skiing. 20 minutes to major city. 10 minutes to suburb. Large lot , big house. Snow 1 hour away , beach 2 hours. Can't complain
  • TDLTDL Posts: 12 Baller
    The craziest thing about Arvin/Bakersfield is that we get glass all year long, not just in the summer. The hardest part about living here is when you have to stare at the glass when your ski buddies' schedules don't match yours. Plenty of culture if you know where to look; e.g., right now Little Women is on at The Empty Space for $15. When you're ready to ski - live here. When you're ready to retire - well, maybe consider Asheville or Sedona. Did I mention we don't have bugs or humidity?
    WaterSkier12