Hit a turtle... ( image included is not for children!)

GloersenGloersen Posts: 748 Crazy Baller
edited December 2017 in Videos & Photos
...rounding 5B, at least initially thought so, felt like getting shot in the ankle.

Turns out the right Achille's tendon ripped off the calcaneus. Fortunately not the week prior at Lake 38.

If I can offer any advice, it would be not to ski if worsening symptoms of a chronic, nagging Haglund's syndrome persists. Typically Achille's tendon ruptures occur in otherwise asymptomatic tendons, which I can attest to on the left side 3 years ago. The sudden, large loads occurring in slalom skiing are probably somewhat unique and any nagging symptoms of the AT should receive conservative rx until resolved, prior to skiing.

With some hard work and luck, hopefully will be skiing in Lake 38 Ski, Freeze, or Die next December; preferably hth vs, @Razorskier1 (if I get a 9 buoy handicap).

Repaired with Arthrex SpeedBridge anchoring system and Fiber Tape suture.

Friluftsliv - stå løpet ut!

Comments

• dave2balldave2ball Posts: 419 Baller
    Love the pictures wish you a speedy recovery
    Gloersen
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,315 Mega Baller
    thats definitely gonna leave a mark.
    Gloersen
  • WishWish Posts: 7,165 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Not sure that image is for adults..geeez. Second the speedy recovery. Prays your way.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    DaveDGloersen
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,235 Mega Baller
    edited December 2017
    Ouch! Hope it was some of your trusted buddies doing the cutting and providing the proof:)

Good luck with the recovery.

So....Turtle soup for Christmas dinner?
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
    Gloersen
  • jetpilotg4jetpilotg4 Posts: 236 Baller
    @Gloersen God speed to a quick recovery!! That looks like it hurt!! Whats the recovery time on that? Ive been dealing with insertional Achilles Tendinitis, any relationship to what you had going on previously?? Merry Christmas!
    Gloersen
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,350 Mega Baller
    Good luck for a speedy recovery.
    Mark Shaffer
    shansen345Gloersen
  • JordanJordan Posts: 980 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I thought the picture was going to be of the turtle!!!! Yikes!
    klindyshansen345RichardDoane
  • WaterSkier12WaterSkier12 Posts: 178 Baller
    Speedbridge is great! Arthrex's best invention. Good luck with ur rehab
    Gloersen
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 561 Crazy Baller
    Right back at you,
    happened July 29th, this year. Tail of ski blew out
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 920 Crazy Baller
    Duct tape that right up, and you're good to go!
    Gloersen
  • epnaultepnault Posts: 174 Baller
    Oh man, that looks so painful. Speedy recovery
    Gloersen
  • daryldaryl Posts: 19 Baller
    @skierjp And here I thought my Achilles scar was bad - you win....
    Speedy recovery @Gloersen !
    Gloersen
  • Kwoody51Kwoody51 Posts: 32 Baller
    Here I thought I was going to see a smashed turtle... those pics are why I couldn’t be a person mechanic!
    jetpilotg4
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 748 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2017
    @jetpilotg4 – insertional Achille’s tendonitis if repetitive can lead to calcific tendinosis which, over time, can lead to Haglund’s syndrome. So it’d be advisable to conservatively treat the acute tendonitis with stretching/strengthening routines until symptom free. Otherwise the sudden, high load, repetitive stresses of skiing likely will make it worse. If the AT acts up when first walking in the morning, that’s a tell-tale sign of needing more rx/rest. In my case the Haglund’s had flared up (after several years of dormancy) about 7 weeks prior to rupture but I just continued to ski through the discomfort.

@skierjp – nice incision Jim, hope you’re all healed and back on the water. Bet you’ll be thinking more about going to a deep/short fin setup.

@Bruce_Butterfield – turtle soup for Christmas dinner is a great idea!

Everyone should keep a roll of duct tape in the boat and vehicle; couldn’t have driven home without taping it.

Thanks Ballers for the well wishes. Merry Christmas to everyone!
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,082 Mega Baller
    Peter, did you use the same Doc as KLP? LaPoint Ski Park wishes you a speedy recovery and a blessed and merry Christmas. Just because you are on injured reserve, don’t be a stranger. Come down and do some driving.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    RichardDoaneGloersen
  • harddockharddock Posts: 138 Baller
    Get well soon!
    Gloersen
    @lpskier - John, Kevin Murphy is definitely the go-to guy but only performs knee or shoulder procedures, I was referred to one of his group partners.

Soon as partial weight-bearing is feasible I'm looking forward to getting down there, hanging with the LaPoint Ski Park denizens; driving and soaking up pointers.

Hope everyone rips well on a Merry Christmas Day!

• HortonHorton Posts: 25,048 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Bruce_ButterfieldGloersenMuskokaKy
  • sixballsixball Posts: 202 Baller
    Speedy recovery! I hit something years ago and could never find anything. It crushed my Goode 9500. Sent me flying! Never thought about it but we do have some big turtles. Oh ya Goode gave me a new ski.
    Gloersen
  • sixballsixball Posts: 202 Baller
    Oh no stitches just bruised ego. Dammer that looks bad.
  • WaterSkier12WaterSkier12 Posts: 178 Baller
    Sixball, wife broke her Goode 9500 years ago between the bindings, ski was babied to the max and she couldn't recall hitting anything. Luckily no injury.
    Dave was gonna give us $100 off of a new ski
    @horton Now that would make some good turtle soup!
    Gloersen
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,048 Administrator
    Turtle photo courtesy of Mike Erb. @teammalibu

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 648 Crazy Baller
    Yeah we got lots of them hiding under the dock! They keep the gator population under control!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    edited December 2017
    Holy turtle soup dip! @Horton @teammalibu - that must be the one I thought was hit. That monster would yield enough daily turtle soup through rehab and until back on the water!
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 648 Crazy Baller
    200+ lbs 100+ years old!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 655 Crazy Baller
    @teammalibu They probably keep the skiing population under control too.
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 98 Baller
    YIKES! @ horton @teammalibu Where is the lake that beast came out of?? I've seen some big alligator snappers but that's a monster!
    Winter sucks, can't ski, can't even weight bear enough to bike.
    But can show it's wise to keep your AT (or any other body part) at a distance from one of these...and I thought skiers did dumb stuff...

Bruce_Butterfield
    just one more data point for the old saying that the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
    GloersenWaterSkier12Skoot1123