Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest news on boat promo programs.

WishWish Posts: 7,260 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited December 2017 in Boat Talk
So far Nautique and Carbon Pro have been mentioned on a diff thread as changing their programs with some details. What can we expect in the near future?
>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
disland

Comments

• dvskierdvskier Posts: 285 Baller
    I believe the boats that are being sold by dealers are primarily wake/surf boats at $150-$200k. They are making thousands of these boats while traditional ski boats are in the perhaps 200 units per year. When Nautique has 25% of total direct drive production going to promo team members something has to give. My opinion only, all based on "follow the money".
    The lake I live on is 99.5% V drives. MasterCraft, Malibu and Nautique dealers don't stock any direct drives. All they stock is loaded V drives and they are selling them with 20 year financing or straight cash sales.
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 406 Crazy Baller
    Im in the Malibu promo program. I think it is staying the same as last year as far as I know.
  • Chad_ScottChad_Scott Posts: 425 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @bigtex2011 nothing changing at Malibu. The powers that be at Malibu remain excited about waterskiing and the new TXI. Maybe have the opportunity to pick up some new good key promo guys around the country
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,972 Mega Baller
    @Chad_Scott - please PM us some contact info, the Broho could use a new Promo/club Boat for 2018. It could do lots of Pacific Northwest events. Look up @robscholl-OF 's inbox and send him whatever info you can.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 316 Crazy Baller
    I'm not to involved in the tournament scene , but in N. California it seems pretty big. I can only assume there was a shortage last season as my boat was used at a handful of tournaments. I think around 6 and used for portion of junior developent. Hours don't really bother me and I was happy to help. I wonder of this may be the future. Personal boats used. Maybe usawterski will have to set up a website. Boat owners willing to let their personal boat to be used get posted . Organizers can contact them to use the boat.
  • Chad_ScottChad_Scott Posts: 425 Open or 55K Rated Skier
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,308 Administrator
    Bottom line is I think there will be less promo boats in 2018. We all need to plan accordingly. I expect my ProStar is going to get some hours.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 786 Crazy Baller
    We've used privately owned boats for tournaments at our club several times in the last two years. Promo program is in flux as a minimum. Malibu seems to be the only one growing or even maintaining their program in our area. I don't think I've skied a promo Nautique at a tournament in SCR in a couple of years. We have one Mastercraft promo that I'm aware of in our area (he's the BOMB), but one boat. No CP's that I'm aware of.

It is what it is, but it ain't what it once was.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 577 Crazy Baller
    Nautique has revamped their program but will maintain the same percentage of tournaments pulled as last year. FYI, Nautique pulls over 80% of AWSA tournaments across the country. The next closest boat manufacturer is below 50%!
  • ntxntx Posts: 823 Crazy Baller
    We are very lucky. We have 3 of the big 4 local. There has not been a MC in the area in at least 6 years.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,260 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So in the long run, less used promo boats out there for folks to buy??
    @skierjp I've heard those stats before. All I can tell you is out west getting boats for any tournament is more and more difficult. South of Sacramento we are seeing less promo Nautiques in the last few years.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

@Horton, yes California is a huge challenge due to the size of the state and how spread out the tournaments are. We just can't justify having a promo boat in an area where there is only one tournament and the next closest possibly 3 to 4 hours away. Greg Badal is the Nautique Regional Coordinator for the West.
    @skierjp I framed my previous posts all wrong My concern is about all promo boats. My concern is for the sport as a whole. We all want to speak up for "our brand" but that is not the point.

• lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 332 Solid Baller
    I know this isn't a comp boat but I sense that some dealers are starting to use an informal unofficial promo program for the Vdrives. I bought a really nice GS20 in October from a guy who has a standing deal with his local dealer to promote surf type boats on the area lakes (ambassador I guess). Just a smart way to do business and drive sales in my opinion.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
    Also, starting this year (2018) Nautique Promo Boats will no longer be for sale from Promo Team Members like they have in the past. All boats will go back to the dealer then sold, no exceptions!
    edited December 2017
    So what's the incentives to even be a promo team member?.

Example..Can no longer pre sell a boat by allowing a potential buyer to choose colors and options like I've seen in the past. And/or choosing you sell dates.

My guess is that the promo guys will love that. The dealers will most likely hate it. I think that they tried that about 12/15 years ago without much success. @Wish. The promo guys will get use of the boat at a reduced cost. Discounted or waived tournament entry fees. If you talk to most promo owners the biggest down side of the promo is dealing with the sale of the boat each year. If it goes back to the dealer..... that issue is gone. Some dealers might think that the promo guys are selling the boats at a discounted price that hurts them and drives costs down. That might be a problem if a bunch of boats are in the program. I would be surprised if any one dealer will have more than one returned promo boat.
    It sounds like what nautique did, was to remove promo owners that maybe were underperformers. Kind of like getting fired from a job that you are not doing.
    edited December 2017

@ntx I don't think you meant to but you just insulted some guys who have done a lot for the sport for a lot of years. @brettmainer & @dave2ball are not slackers. I don't remember how big a guy Dave is but I suggest if you are going to insult Brett you bring a bunch of friends.

• WoodySkierWoodySkier Posts: 61 Baller
    I bought a a promo 200 in 2016 and planned to buy another one in 5 or so years when I was ready to upgrade. My local dealer had boats that were a year old with similar hours for 8-9k more than I paid for the promo. Obviously Nautique wants to ensure they set the market as promo boats were typically a good deal as guys just wanted to get rid of them at the end of the season and get their money back. Will these boats ever see a plateau in price or just keep jacking it up every year? I expect the new Nautique to be $75k, how many people are going to pay that for a Ski tug?
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 439 Solid Baller
    edited December 2017
    @ntx we can’t fix stupid sorry
    edited December 2017
    Dave is not a huge guy, but I would not want to piss him off.
  • BigSprayBigSpray Posts: 2 Baller
    edited December 2017
    @ntx for you to say Nautique got rid of promo guys for under Performing is a VERY STRONG UNINTELLIGENT STATEMENT when you have NO idea how and why Nautique based there desicion on who to cut. I can say it was not for In your words “underperforming”. Many former team members had 10-30 years plus. They gave up our weekends and sacrificed family time for a sport all of us love. Maybe you should get your facts straight before making such a POST. I don’t know how much you know about tournaments and promo teams but obviously not too much by your comments.
    @Horton @dave2ball @brettmainer. My intent was not to insult anyone. You are right. I have no direct knowledge of what criteria was used to determine which promo owners were released. Based on several statements made here. It sounds like nautiqe pulled 80 percent of sanctioned events. It was also stated that the same percentage should be able to be maintained in the future. Maybe some areas were saturated with more boats than needed.
    @BigSpray having hosted tournaments for over 30 years I have witnessed the the promo programs first hand. Not all promo owners have the same level of commitment. Some go above and beyond. Boats are set up ready to go when they get to the site. Others not so much. That being said. Most of the long time promos are committed
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,287 Mega Baller
    edited December 2017
    @horton, wow, you have obviously never met @ntx! Dave and Brett better bring a bunch of their friends:)

All kidding aside, I don't think there was any insults intended. Many promo boat owners support the sport and donate their time and boat depreciation. Others are "unavailable" for tournaments an hour away. That's related more to simple human nature than promo boat owners.
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
  • BigSprayBigSpray Posts: 2 Baller
    edited December 2017
    @Orlando76 the last part of ntx statement was uncalled for without having all the facts. This may of come form out of the blue for the dismissed team members and who knows how the news was delivered. And to make a statement such as under perform was just wrong.