Boat Shows - Which ones are the best

austinmineraustinminer Posts: 6 Baller
So Dad and I always hit the Houston and Dallas boat shows, but of course rarely is there a slalom boat. Houston is geared towards salt water fishing and Dallas is more towards the luxury boating experience. While they are relatively large shows, considering the venue's, we are looking for the next bigger show that has a bit more variety. We have tossed around the idea of heading down to Miami, but was looking for some input from the team on BOS. Any recommendations? Any shows out there guaranteed to have some ski boats? Thanks in advance guys/gals.

Comments

• DWDW Posts: 1,682 Crazy Baller
    If you have a reason to be in Michigan, the Detroit area shows tend to have slalom boats on the floor, along with the fact that the top three have strong dealers representing the brands. The skier community in SE Michigan is fortunate to have a strong dealership network. Not only that, but you can practice your snowball making or ice fishing skills!
    MISkierGWaterskiObrienslalomMZito
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 740 Crazy Baller
    The Portland and Seattle boats shows have ski boats on the floor as well.
    shansen345
  • MuskokaKyMuskokaKy Posts: 252 Baller
    @austinminer i live in Toronto Canada and I go to our local event in Torornto which is amazing but i even fly down to Miami for their boat show mid Feburary each year. By far the best show out there and there is everything. I go to see things i wont see back home but Nautique, MC, Malibu, are always there.

I will say Malibu Response was the only ski boat not on the floor for Toronto Boat show for the past 2 years i believe.

One Vote for Miami here!
    BulldogJordan
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,838 Mega Baller
    Minneapolis always has a Malibu, sometimes a Mastercraft. Never seen a Nautique or Centurion DD there.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • LakeOneSkierLakeOneSkier Posts: 233 Baller
    Last year Chicago had 1ProStar (which they seem to have every year) and 1 TXI (only because it was new, they've not had one for at least 3 years previous)

Can't recall seeing a Ski Nautique in the 5 years I've been going.
    Baller Index: -31.67
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,816 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Son Watersports always brought a DD Nautique to the Minneapolis show. Since Marine Maxx took over, it's just CC wake boats. Midwest usually brings a PS as I recall.
    Scott Calderwood
    BrennanKMN
  • xratedxrated Posts: 493 Solid Baller
    Yeah a Malibu and MC is all I recall at Minneapolis and not much in the way of gear. We talked about going to pass time and maybe get some gloves, but after a 2.5 hour one way drive, parking, tickets and about 40 minutes to see what we want it isn't worth it.
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 335 Solid Baller
    The MN boat show used to be more fun. I have lost interest in it now. Too many boats that just don't interest me anymore.
    Marine Max brought a 200 their first year at the show and haven't since. Last time I was there I tried chatting up a few guys at the booth and none of them had any interest really in skiing. They were all from the CC factory to rep wake boats.
  • sodbuster88sodbuster88 Posts: 75 Baller
    @BrennanKMN I hear ya! 3 different boat shows in the Raleigh area throughout the year...I quit going a few years back when there were no more ski boats coming in. Just not interested in the offshore, bass and weekend wally’s.
    BrennanKMN
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 464 Crazy Baller
    Seattle had 2 Nautiques last year, open and a closed bow I think. No other DD represented.
  • Kwoody51Kwoody51 Posts: 25 Baller
    I’ll be going to the MN show this weekend but I know what to expect.

It’s winter and it’s something to do. Looking at boats is fun even if it’s not a proper ski boat.
    MuskokaKyswc5150
  • m_pagsm_pags Posts: 57 Baller
    The Minneapolis Boat Show has a Prostar and a Malibu Response this year.
  • shansen345shansen345 Posts: 130 Baller
    Up until my college schedule prevented it, I enjoyed going to the Seattle Boat Show every year with my dad. Last one I went to, I remember chatting with the local Nautique dealer for a little bit while sitting in a SN200CB.
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 862 Crazy Baller
    The Miami boat show is the one....Yeah , they'll have Bu and MC, but yachts like you can't believe in the water, and all over the place. It's a show you have to go to at least once.
    MuskokaKy
  • MichaelGoodmanMichaelGoodman Posts: 110 Baller
    Agree with liquid d if you are into boats you should go to the Miami and or Ft Lauderdale show at least once in your life. The boats are incredible as are the models they hire to be part of the display. The in the water parts of the show have boats over 100 feet.
    Headed out to mpls show in a bit. This year, more interested in dock/lift info as we are hoping to move onto a lake this year.
    Chuck P
    BrennanKMN
    Midwest had some ski equipment at the show, my wife bought a ronix surfboard - so I guess we're doing that next summer.
    Chuck P
  • OldGuysRuleOldGuysRule Posts: 54 Baller
    Went to the Cincinnati, Ohio show today.....giant surf boats, huge pontoons, and kayaks! No ski boats but plenty of beer!
    RAWSki
    I was at the Minneapolis show last night. Lots of pontoons and boats for surfing.

I got to spend a little time poking around the TXi and the ProStar. I was honestly surprised with the quality of the Malibu. Way cheaper feeling than pervious Malibu's I've been in.

Not bad for a free night of entertainment - but I don't think I'd pay to go.
    Jack Kinne
    edited January 14
    All the ski boats and wake boats are getting cheaper looking. Side effect of using seadek instead of carpet(not a fan) and not using things like combing pads. The squared off lawn chair cushioning also looks cheap. I would say that both the txi and prostar have less luxury feel than boats from five years ago.
    Chuck P
  • austinmineraustinminer Posts: 6 Baller
    Team, Thanks for all the input. I think Dad and I are going to use this to plan a little more in advance for next year and hit Miami! The in water boat show sounds pretty cool. Again, thanks for all the input!
    MuskokaKy
  • MuskokaKyMuskokaKy Posts: 252 Baller
    @austinminer you will have zero regrets!! I will be heading there with my father in a month and cant wait. I recommend a more than one day pass. We do the 2 day deal now and we find that to be just right. If you are going to get interactive with it and participate in some of the courses or activities you may need an extra day. See you there next year!
  • RivvyRivvy Posts: 129 Baller
    I went to the Minneapolis show last weekend. Good showing for mastercraft and malibu. Staff seemed knowledgeable and boats looked great. Nautique could use some work. Marinemax might just be too big to do nautique’s Justice. I was hoping to learn more about the new 200 but failed. Actually after finding 3 reps that didn’t even know what a 200 was I decided to go talk bouys with the malibu guys. I’m not in the market for a new boat but was interested since I bought a new to me 200 last year.
    @Rivvy Sounds like you discovered first hand that Marinemaxx is a total joke. Taking CC away from Son Watersports was a colossal mistake!
    Scott Calderwood
    RivvyBrennanKMN
  • LakeOneSkierLakeOneSkier Posts: 233 Baller
    Chicago show had one ProStar, no Response or 200. Plenty of jet skis (seemed like 4x as usual) and lots of pontoons. Does a pontoon really need twin 400 hp outboards?
    Baller Index: -31.67
    Saw pics of the MC booth in Denver. Lots of boats, and had a Prostar.
    Scott Calderwood
    @oldjeep I'm 180 degrees from you on the Prostar looking cheapened. Too me, it's a vast improvement from the 197, but I really like Seadek:) The base TXi looks really stripped to me though, but I suppose that's the point.
    Scott Calderwood
    BrennanKMN
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 237 Crazy Baller
    I have not seen a TXI. But from what i saw last year at the show , Malibu seemed to look cheapened. Not MC or Cc
    @swc5150 I agree. The ProStar I saw was one of the best MC's I've seen. Very well put together and felt as such. The TXi felt and looked like a Carbon Pro with the price tag of a ProStar/200. Probably a decent boat; but definitely not the right boat for me.
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 127 Baller
    Both CB and OB Ski Nautiques on display by the great folks at Pacific Nautiques at the Seattle Boat Show today. Only ski boats I saw, but the friendly folks the Nautique booth were willing to chat about ski boats for as long as I wanted. What a beautiful machine! Glad I went. Too bad nothing was there by any of the other brands for skiers.
    RAWSki