Is this the year that McLaren gives Alonso a real car?

HortonHorton Posts: 24,486 Administrator
@FWinter Your boy Lewis might have to work a little harder this year.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

Comments

• TaperflexTaperflex Posts: 40 Baller
    At least now they will have a REAL engine.
    Hortonkurt
  • DWDW Posts: 1,682 Crazy Baller
    @Taperflex: Maybe, it has to stay together first...

Could be a fun year -if-
    1. Vettel can keep his cool and Ferrari does not implode
    2. Renault is reliable and has decent power
    3. which leads to Max and Fred being super competitive
    4. and Lewis does not whine too much, LOL. Will Bottas come close, probably not but would make great inter-team drama

and most importantly, Haas F1 has another great year:)

You guys might be missing the dark horse if the Renault is good, Mr. Sainz whose dad is running the most grueling race on the planet right now.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,486 Administrator
    @DW I just can not take another year of Lewis running away with the field.

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

rockdog
    @Horton: best driver in best car usually leads to a runaway. Unfortunately for Alonso, he has a habit of being in the wrong place at exactly the wrong time, maybe this year will not be the case.
    Drago
  • mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 327 Baller
    Alonzo is the best starter in the field. He always gains numerous spots at the start. Even with a crappy car. That’s also what puts him in wrong place at the wrong time.
    @mbabiash : my reference is not his racecraft as that is top notch, it is relative to what team he decides to plant his derriere in at exactly the wrong time - to McLaren to partner the aforementioned Mr. Hamilton, to Ferrari when they come out with a bad car, back to McLaren when they marry Honda, etc. You can even see it with his Indy 500 run, the year the Honda's expire in less than 500 miles.
  • ShererSkierShererSkier Posts: 95 Baller
    I hope Alonso gets a real run at the championship again. I think he's the most complete driver in the field if he had the right car. I'm just sick of hearing how Lewis is the best F1 driver. If Mercedes didn't have a car far superior to the rest of the field, I'm not sure that Lewis would be walking away with championships like this. Plus, winning only seems to inflate his opinion of himself, makes me wish he would retire.

I think F1 needs to bring unlimited testing back and figure someway to make the cars have to pit more often. Back when there was refueling, there was so much more strategy and less management in the racing that it made a lot more passing on track and an uncertainty toward the end of the race. There are too many races that end very close to the staring order nowadays.

Sorry if I went on a little rant, just another sport I love that deserves more than its current state.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,689 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So were Senna, Prost, and Schumacher the best drivers or did they just have the best factory sponsored rides at the time? Not trying to be a smart ass, trying to figure out just how much discrepancy in equipment in F1? Seems like quite a bit.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    @6balls : F1 probably has the most discrepancy between teams and equipment, simply as each team has to 'build' their own car (Haas commissions Dallara for theirs & there is a list of 'common' components all teams can use). There is a huge financial difference across the teams in F1 from taking in hundreds of millions at the top, to basically not being able to pay the bills at the other end. Your list includes the best and those guys are also the most adept at getting the best cars, I simply put that as part of being the best.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,689 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited January 13
    Probably part of what prevents a bigger following. It's never televised here, was some when I was a kid---I remember watching Prost just destroy the field when there was some rain. He destroyed them in the dry, too, but geez in the rain just game over.
    I also used to love the view they would shoot sometimes of the pedals watching...those guys before paddle shifters work their magic was AMAZING!
    I tracked a Ford Spec Racer at Brainerd International last summer open air with a manual...what a riot.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,688
    @6balls ... In answer to your question, I believe Senna was the best. Funny thing about Schumacher, he grew up with his family owning a go kart track where he raced constantly. His F1 mechanics talk about how easy it was to set the car up for him because they would just tighten everything up like a go kart and let him RIP.

Agree with @Horton, can not stand another year of cry baby Lewis.
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    Hortonkurt
    If I was in charge...
    1. Take a chunk of aero downforce off the cars
    2. More Power
    3. simplify the engine packages and rules
    4. Make the Friday before the race an unlimited open testing day

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

@6balls in season the races are always televised on NBCSN or FoxSports. They are just in the middle of the night so you have to record them.

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

BRY
    2018 will see races on ESPN. Sadly, no more David Hobbs, the broadcast will be the Euro F1 team.
    @DW that is crap! Hobbs is the best part of F1!

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

Ed_JohnsonDWBRYkurt
  • ShererSkierShererSkier Posts: 95 Baller
    @6balls I get ya. I just mean that F1 seemed to hit a good blend for a while where the championships were really competitive for quite a few years and I was hoping it would keep it going and not fall back into one team dominant for years style racing. I would never want F1 to be all the same cars and come down to only driver but even when Vettel won it 4 yrs in a row, 2 of those came down to the wire. There was also more passing throughout the rest of the field. I just like seeing that more than seeing a driver clinch the championship with many races left or train racing.

I also agree with what @Horton would change, especially the aero. I don’t like that a car destroys the aero of the car running behind it. I would like to see some way to ease the financial aspect on newcoming and lower tier teams. The amount of funds Ferrari/Mercedes have compared to Sauber/Renault makes it harder for smaller teams to stay afloat.
    Gimme cigar shaped cars w/ huge engines and let's see who can really drive.

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

6ballsShererSkierrayn
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,033 Mega Baller
    @Horton not to be flip but isn’t that kind of like NASCAR on a road course?
    Mark Shaffer
    edited January 14
    @Chef23 no

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

oldjeepEd_Johnson
    RIP Dan Gurney, one of the very best ever. Won in every type of car on all types of tracks including his own F1 car, invented the champagne spray and was a super nice guy. An American icon.

@Horton : great classic '60's shot of the infamous Nurburgring circuit. BTW, Gurney was great in those cars.
  • FWinterFWinter Posts: 106 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @Horton after your performance last year I'd be running in the opposite direction of any predictions, let along wagers. Lewis will slay again if he's in a competitive, reliable car. He only missed out year before last because of extreme bad luck and even then he nearly made it back. Alonso? He smashed him when they were in the same car in his rookie year. Come on.
    edited January 17
    @FWinter I just don't know how you could be so wrong. Are we going double or nothing from last year? I know we made some new wager I just don't remember.

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

• FWinterFWinter Posts: 106 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @Horton double our nothing. Think it was 10 last year. Hamilton to win, I take it your with Alonso?
    @FWinter I stand by Alonso

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

Dragokurt
  • TaperflexTaperflex Posts: 40 Baller
    Alonzo already has a podium capable chassis, and with the latest and hopefully more reliable Renault power plant, he will be extremely competitive.
    Horton
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 925 Mega Baller
    edited January 17
    You’re betting on Renault for reliability? French engine reliability is almost an oxy-moron. Not quite as bad as English electronics, but pretty close. I remember my dad’s picture of the Lucas electronics plant, working the night shift. For those of you who haven’t seen that photo, it’s a black sheet of paper.
    It’s gonna be another Hamilton year. March 23, he wins. I got 5 on it.
    @aupatking what was the engine in Fernando's car last time he was world champion?

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

aupatking
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 925 Mega Baller
    @Horton 2006?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file