Want to buy West Coast Slalom Advanced dvd

Anyone have a copy they would part with?

Comments

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 794 Crazy Baller
    @twhisper or @MarcusBrown might have one laying around......Just a hunch
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,537
    How much of the west coast thinking is still relevant today? I never saw the video..
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

• HortonHorton Posts: 25,038 Administrator
    edited January 14
    @NorthIdahoLPO
    Listen to this http://noiseofthenorth.com/goldenmic-ep85/
    Jump to 25:00

Go ski with Marcus or Terry but forget that video

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

NorthIdahoLPOsunvalleylawadamhcaldwell
  • NorthIdahoLPONorthIdahoLPO Posts: 21 Baller
    I was thumbing through the August/September 2008 issue of Waterski Mag and there is an add for it. I looked for it online but no dice I.E. Amazon, eBay but no go. Terry will be coaching me in March and I thought it would be great to watch preemptively. I’ll reach out to those guys...
    And great stuff @Horton... now I am even more intrigued.
  • skialexskialex Posts: 673 Crazy Baller
    @NorthIdahoLPO I have a copy somewhere, I can find it when I return to Greece Tuesday.
    I would listen to @Horton though, i don't think it did any good to my skiing the contrary took me a couple of years to recover and improve from there after.
    Horton
  • adamhcaldwelladamhcaldwell Posts: 389 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    If you haven't watched west coast slalom yet, spare yourself.... and dont!
    Horton
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,212 Mega Baller
    Having had the good fortune to ski with @twhisper , I agree with @Horton
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 747 Crazy Baller
    edited January 14
    ditto @Horton

WCS DVD was laudable in its day, but way too analytical; it attempts to apply results to technique rather than technique to results.

Best to approach the coaching session with TW as a blank slate or dry sponge.

Compare the two vids.
    Complex:

Reasonable:

Friluftsliv - stå løpet ut!
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,564 Crazy Baller
    edited January 15
    I think the West Coast video and more importantly the theorys and practices presented by Mike starting in the early 90's were a turning point in slalom.
    jimbrake
    @ALPJr the ideas that @MarcusBrown pioneered? Yes. The ideas in that video? No.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

swc5150
    I’m looking forward to my time with Terry... and now that pandoras box has been opened I think I will go to TW with fresh eyes having not seen the film - per @Horton and @Gloersen
    sunvalleylawswc5150
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,913 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I watched that video at least a couple dozen times when it came out, and trying to incorporate it jacked up skiing. Maybe I just didn't get it, but I found my stack ruined, replaced with "stripper butt"...exactly what MB instructs against in his personal youtube training vids.
    Scott Calderwood
  • Mateo_VargasMateo_Vargas Posts: 782 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I’m a visual learner so please show me “stripper butt”
    Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
    WaterSkier12jimbrakeALPJrkeithh2oskier
    edited January 16
    Scott Calderwood
    edited January 16
    Looking back the WCS video was part of the time that the sport was evolving from heavier skis and the pull hard, crank turn way of slalom. Quiet upper body, lower body lean, counter rotation(step behind), reverse C, earlier edge change, elbows to the vest, tight line, quicker responding skis (see Syndicate shirt) and speed control. In it's day I think it was pretty good and it lead to a number of the ideas we talk about and try to feel on the water today.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 755 Crazy Baller
    That WCS video literally made my head hurt. Firzt time viewer.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • parkerc2112parkerc2112 Posts: 104 Baller
    Nothing good comes from west coast
    @swc5150 MEGA LONG LINK!

• ozskiozski Posts: 1,537
    I think HO delivered us Power Stix around then so something may have slipped into the drinking water around that time.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

Wish
    @Horton sorry I followed the link instructions. I’m better off not posting links I think.
    Scott Calderwood
    edited January 16
    @swc5150 don't be dramatic. I fixed it

swc5150
  • DekeDeke Posts: 357 Baller
    @NorthIdahoLPO I have a copy that is free for you. You pay shipping. It is important to know where we've been in order to understand how we can best move forward! B)
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,314 Mega Baller
    there is so much negativity directed toward that west coast slalom video that it almost seems like animosity toward toward suyderhoud himself -where as marcus brown and terry winter are practically worshiped here. but to be fair at the time the video was being made marcus and terry were also advocating those now dated concepts.

in any event there are some very valuable aspects to that video that cannot be found anywhere else. which are the split screen chapters comparing the same skier at different line lengths with a real time stopwatch running, comparing two different skiers and also the chapters showing short line skiers with real time strain gage data. i personally think this stuff was and is a valuable addition to the slalom science knowledge pool. so until someone else comes along and does a better job of producing such visually clear real time data maybe you should hold off throwing what we currently have in the trash. imo.
    GloersenjimbrakeAndre
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 747 Crazy Baller
    Friluftsliv - stå løpet ut!
    sunvalleylawWish
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,204 Crazy Baller
    @Gloersen - I agree. I don't dig the tone of the thread. How many of you have skied with and knew Mike? He was pretty far ahead of his time. His communication of concepts is difficult to follow sometimes, but a lot of what he was working on was going the right direction. I wish Terry or Marcus would chime in and set us all straight on this.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    mjump
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,801
    @jimbrake ... I skied with and knew Mike quite well. His Dad was my Daugther's Godfather. Mike was always ahead of his time on developing new technique. He first showed me and others how to properly do the one handed gate in 1992. A huge improvement to my skiing, years before it became popular. He also sent me a copy of the DVD before it was released for sale. I still believe it has a lot of good points in it, such as great graphics on how to do the Reverse C edge change.

Many years before there were even DVD's, Mike did fantastic VHS Video's with skiers such as Cory Pickos on trick skiing, and Bob LaPoint on Slalom. These were really advanced for their time, and the only known instructional videos available. They were the Bible of their time.

Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    ALPJrWishjimbrakeAndre
    edited January 17
    @ozski I think WCS came out during the Monza era, not long before the Syndicate A1.
    ozski
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,374 Crazy Baller
    At the very least WCS moved the conversation forward. Whether the concepts were accurately conveyed, I’m not qualified to say, but I don’t see a dramatic difference in Terry’s technique from then until now.