Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIP WaterSkiMag

HortonHorton Posts: 27,451 Administrator
edited January 2018 in News & Other Stuff

The Orlando Sentinel reports the following 

Bonnier Corp., a magazine publisher with an office in Winter Park Village, is laying off 30 people locally. The layoffs for New York-based Bonnier come as the company shutters five magazines: WaterSki, Wakeboarding, Sport Diver, Baggers and Dirt Rider. 

Read the whole text here

waterski cover

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Comments

• mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    well there went that lifetime subscription.
    skihoundToddA
  • sunvalleylawsunvalleylaw Posts: 1,259 Mega Baller
    Bummer. I had a subscription to that for a long, long time. I still remember the cover of the first one I owned, ages ago. Hazelwood jumping on the cover.
  • customskicustomski Posts: 83 Baller
    Guess that explains why our online subscriptions to Australia just stopped 6 odd months ago and no email replies were forthcoming. A shame. It seems our Australian waterski mag has disappeared without trace too.
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,649
    edited January 2018
    Its a brave new world, adapt or die. Readers are getting their content via forums and other digital media and magazines are going the way of the fax machine and the Monza. The magazine went away because the eyeballs went away.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

andjules
  • sfriissfriis Posts: 78 Baller
    RIP :'(
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 928 Mega Baller
    Sounds like an opportunity to me. There's still life left in print, PARTICULARLY in enthusiast mags. I love getting Car & Driver and Roundel every month. My guess is that this shuttering is a result of self-inflicted pain/mismanagement.
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 940 Crazy Baller
    That sucks. Explains why I never got my renewal subscription.
    sunvalleylaw
  • WishWish Posts: 7,754 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited January 2018
    Does this make my stack of Boat Buyers Guides back to 1992 a collectors item? ;-)

What is sad are the photos we won't get to see anymore. There's never been a source that could match them or photographers taking them.

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    Obrienslalomescmanaze
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,398 Mega Baller
    Might explain this weird wake surf mag that I got this month rather than my usual Waterski and Wakeboard mags
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 262 Solid Baller
    edited January 2018
    The end of an era. It’s somehow sad, but personally, I stopped reading the WSM a good while ago. Probably around the time Todd left. Had a subscription for over 10 Years and didn’t renew it about a year ago or so. Content became less and less interesting. Too much ads and I never understand why tubing, kneeboarding and even wakeboarding obviously became of interest for the WSM editors.
    ski6jonesdrew
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 778 Mega Baller
    Sad to hear it. Yet another thing that water skiing "once had." I know the people that were still there were working hard to keep it going but in the end I guess it just couldn't make it. Best wishes to all the writers, photogs, etc., who counted on the magazine for a bit of their income.
  • MuskokaKyMuskokaKy Posts: 294 Baller
    @oldjeep same here! i re-subscribed about 6 months ago or so and i think they are compensating with " something" until it runs out. I also get watersports gear catalogues and wakeskate/surf mags... Was a big fan! Sad to see it go!
  • SpuddySpuddy Posts: 133 Baller
    I agree with a lot of the above comments while it is sad to see the mag go after I believe almost 40 years, it has been lacking in content the last 6-10 issues. I did still enjoy finding it in the mailbox especially in these long cold Canadian winters!!
    MuskokaKy
  • NandoNando Posts: 496 Crazy Baller
    They were clearly just going through the motions once TR left- just a bunch of stock photos with some totally worthless articles. Sadly for me, I opted for a two-year subscription renewal a little over a year ago- oh well. It's a digital world, who needs a printed magazine when we've got BOS?
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 516 Crazy Baller
    Ball of Spray Magazine!
    Nater
  • NaterNater Posts: 9 Baller
    I renewed my subscription a few weeks ago. I just called Bonnier and they are going to credit my card back. I was told by them that everyone under subscription will be automatically switched to "Boating Magazine" going forward.
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,497 Mega Baller
    edited January 2018
    Nah, @Horton would actually have to work! And................................................ spell in english!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    WishUWSkierJody_Seal
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 778 Mega Baller
    @thager ... and write.
    thager
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,155 Mega Baller
    Agree with lots of the comments here. My most anticipated issue every year was always the boat tests, until it became clear that they had to print glowing reviews on everything to keep selling ad space. Understandable, just wasn't for me so I dropped my sub years ago. Did enjoy the articles and pictures about 15 years ago though!
  • skinutskinut Posts: 410 Baller
    When did Todd R leave WSM?
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,398 Mega Baller
    @Nater People actually paid for those? Mine were the result of free boat show subscriptions, and they just kept coming for free.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • pcmcon729pcmcon729 Posts: 51 Baller
    I agree that print on paper is becoming less appealing to younger generations, but extremely sad non the less for both the subscribers, and the sport. I remember flying out of Boston 10+ years ago, and seeing it front and center on a kiosk, with Jamie B on the cover. I almost believed for a moment that our sport was mainstream. Cool for non-skiers to see that. Here in NH, it's one of the few connections to skiing that we get during our long cold winters.
    BOS is much appreciated as well.
  • WebWeb Posts: 78 Baller
    IMO the magazine slid out of favor when the format change/Todd leaving...... It used to be a highlight seeing that in the mail pile amid all the bills and un-solicited crap. Something nice to have laying around, and anybody could pick up. I remember countless times having that on the porch at the cottage, and newcomers would pick it up and spark an interest.
  • NandoNando Posts: 496 Crazy Baller
    Trent's stuff was good, but clearly he had no resources to work with. There seemed to be a lot of content that was kind of in a "skiing is dying, get used to it" mode. Trent is a really good writer and I had hoped he'd be able to take over and run with it, but it seemed clearly doomed by a lack of commitment from above.
    lakeaustinskier
  • skihackerskihacker Posts: 310 Baller
    The new format was different for sure but I still liked it, going to miss it.
    bogboyBG1