When does your ski season start?

HortonHorton Posts: 25,050 Administrator
edited January 24 in Other Stuff
When does your ski season start up?

When does your ski season start? 240 votes

Skiing now!
17%
skiepSkiRVCamskialexTom AndersoneyepeelerJody_SealMateo_Vargasusaski1bishop8950WishMJ1VONMANaussiemcbkreisGregHindBRYTFINRazorRoss3Jibbo 41 votes
February
3%
andyrraynjayskiJWebSkigt2003LoopSkiChunkydlakeho26 8 votes
March
18%
Hortonthagerski6jonesskibugscotchipmandislandLZywicki1KelvinGarnLieutenant DanskiinxsKrleeunksskisJackQMickeyThompsonchris_loganTaperflexmjnelsonMSdavid_ski 45 votes
April
35%
DWDaveDMarcoJAGsixballChef23skibrainPSMvtjcEdmundkellybrewerThan_BoganAndreskispraybf`MattPLakeOneSkierDeanoskicamjamigkya 84 votes
May
22%
ISP6ballmlangeJASJC McCavitjimbrakebrodyBulldogskinutJordanskiboynylundbergmatejaxratedbananaronDaveLemonsMichaelGoodmanjcampEricWJonBDavis_LK 53 votes
June
3%
jedgellMrs_MSGaryWilkinsonJustin_CShanehooscal15tlarocqueFSSPCatelijah_dobos 9 votes

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Comments

• gt2003gt2003 Posts: 700 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    February
    It may be March but with the drysuit I'm pretty sure I'll get the initial sets in sometime in February
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 125 Baller
    Skiing now!
    That’s the nice thing about Florida - there is no such thing like off-season. ;)
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 285 Crazy Baller
    February
    Mine will be after a few days over 60 and someone to ski with. Turned out New Years Day was the first ride of the year. Havent skied since.
    skihacker
  • SethroSethro Posts: 209 Baller
    It's been as early as the first week of February, but usually consecutive days skiing don't start till early March here in Northern IL.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,792 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Two answers. March or April depending on what we call here in Southern Canada "ice out". Consistent skiing...probably May and even that is tough sometimes. Season change often some rain, some wind, some very inconsistent temps, and then there is the whole daylight issue. Still trying to figure out why I live here.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    skibrainDeanoskiFast351
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,374 Crazy Baller
    April
    March is possible but for sure by April.
  • ShererSkierShererSkier Posts: 111 Baller
    April
    April is about my average starting month but I ski every day...in my mind!
    MuskokaKyBill22
  • aussiemcaussiemc Posts: 109 Baller
    Skiing now!
    Skiing Now!, is that the southern Hemisphere option?
  • sixballsixball Posts: 202 Baller
    April
    Some time from March to May. Two controlling factors for us. Ice and debris. We don't have a lot of snow now so maybe we will not get Hi water levels witch will hold the debris down. We do have cars and trucks on the lake so plenty of ice.
  • dhofertdhofert Posts: 197 Baller
    April
    Made it out April first last year. Really hoping for a late March start this year.
  • david_quaildavid_quail Posts: 124 Baller
    April
    @6balls where in Canada do you live that March skiing is possible? I realize Edmonton is pretty much right up there with the North Pole, but we have a foot of ice guaranteed that time of year.
    We may get lucky and be able to ski the last week of April. But March would be a miracle.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,792 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @david_quail lots of us goofballs here refer to Minnesota as Southern Canada. Sorry for the confusion.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    david_quailFast351
  • pgmoorepgmoore Posts: 192 Solid Baller
    May
    @david_quail I also live in Edmonton... simply can't imagine any circumstance where March skiing would be possible. @schafer will ski in April for sure, maybe with some chunks of ice :-)

I usually like a couple more weeks with the sun a bit higher and get rolling in mid-May.
    Patrick Moore
    david_quail
  • GregHindGregHind Posts: 279 Baller
    Skiing now!
    When I say now I mean it’s hot, water is 80f plus and I’m about to hit it again
    Bill22BRYBulldogandjules
  • jedgelljedgell Posts: 316 Baller
    June
    Too F’ing late, around mid June before our lake is full. Will get some open water skiing before that.
    Justin Edgell - Bozeman, MT
  • schaferschafer Posts: 290 Baller
    April
    April for Alberta, but the goal is to travel enough in the winter to make it seem like ski season doesn’t end. Even if it is 6 weeks between sets.
    Quest for the Purple Loop
  • xratedxrated Posts: 497 Solid Baller
    May
    May in my part of MN on average. Ice will go in April. May sneak in in April or early May but won't ski ski until after fishing opener.

Last year the boat didn't go in until Memorial Day weeekend...that was way late.
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 546 Crazy Baller
    April
    Our ice is out usually by mid March but can go into the week or so of April. We let it warm a bit before getting in to put the course back in. Usually skiing around the 20th of April. Earliest we have started was St Patrick's day and that was pushing it. I get nothing out of starting too early.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,084 Mega Baller
    March
    In the past few years, we have been free skiing in mid-March.

In 2016, I was preparing for an April Florida ski school trip and was running buoys here beginning on March 24.

Last year, we free skied on February 19, though the prop fell off the boat after the first skier and I did not get to ski until February 22.

We are always running buoys in April.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • MuskokaKyMuskokaKy Posts: 274 Baller
    May
    May - Oct in Muskoka.
    andjules
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 796 Crazy Baller
    March
    I am kind of a fair weather skier. I don’t have a wetsuit or dry suit, so if it’s cold then I just deal with it. Late March is about as early as I can swing it. Pretty light snow year though so spring may come early.....or not.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,490 Mega Baller
    May
    Most years I drop in the lifts around memorial day, might get them in a bit earlier this year since I'm living 3 hours closer to the lake now.
  • Bookm_danoBookm_dano Posts: 66 Baller
    Skiing now!
    Always try for New Year's Day....January 8th this year. Colder than usual winter in central Texas.
  • CamCam Posts: 292 Solid Baller
    Skiing now!
    7c (45f) and sunny today, would be rude not to.
    MuskokaKy
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,204 Crazy Baller
    May
    Normally some skiing in March and for sure by mid-April, but this year I'm hoping for May. Getting a new knee on Feb 7 so we'll see if May is realistic or not. It's my back knee, but I'm a pretty front-foot skier.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • OscawanaSkierOscawanaSkier Posts: 29 Baller
    edited January 27
    May
    What I’m sensing from this pole is that people are skiing earlier, in colder conditions than I thought. So what water/air temp is it for that first ski (and is it in a dry or wet suit)?

For us in NY, it’s usually been late May, mid 60s water temp, with either wet suit or just a bathing suit. Seems like we shouldn’t be such wimps!
    Than_Bogan
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,084 Mega Baller
    edited January 27
    March
    @OscawanaSkier, my season start (and usually through June) is in a drysuit. We will ski with water in the 30s and air around 60. It’s a bit brutal then, but a bucket of hot water for feet and hands does the trick. When the water hits the 50s, it’s quite comfortable without requiring the bucket of hot water, but that still helps. Running buoys doesn’t work really well until we get into the 50s.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • rodeconrodecon Posts: 174 Baller
    March
    I voted March, but would have voted "ice out" if it was an option......
  • rodeconrodecon Posts: 174 Baller
    March
    We typically like the air to be 50 to ski....water after ice out is cold, 35 or so, cooler of hot water is a must.

A spring tradition is the "Ice out Double Double" snow ski in the morning and water ski in the afternoon, good stuff!
    MuskokaKyWeb