The passing of Warren Miller

WishWish Posts: 7,011 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited January 25 in Other Stuff
Loved watching his snow ski films and listening to his unmistakable commentary. Was cool to see him cover waterskiing in one of his films like he did with Glenn Plake and Andy Mapple (MB and Jamie B as well) Even if just briefly, he still brought his magic to the screen and brought you into the world of waterskiing and made you want to "do that". Beautiful cinematography and the humor that tied it all together.

http://warrenmiller.org/
>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
thagerEd_JohnsonsunvalleylawLuzzBulldoglpskierSkoot1123DW9400skialexskiinxssunnydaysmn

Comments

• EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,313 Historical Baller
    When I was in college, both Warren and John Jay would bring their yearly edition of their
    film each fall 50+ years ago.
  • WolfeieWolfeie Posts: 162 Baller
    I too remember 50 years ago heading down to the Santa Monica Civic Center to see Warren's ski movies which he moderated personally. I can still remember his iconic voice and humor in my head. My father knew him and skied with him in the early days of skiing at Mammoth.
    Brad Wolfe - Ski West Village, Arvin, Ca; Radar Pro Build, SN 200, I can see Ball of Spray headquarters from my lake house.
    Wishsunvalleylaw
  • JordanJordan Posts: 920 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited January 25
    His annual film was my kick-off each fall to the ski season. He was great! Who could forget the mandatory ski lift clusterf*&ck scene in every movie? LOL
    sunvalleylaw
    " if at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving"
    - warren miller
    sunvalleylawBdeckerbojansusaski1
  • WishWish Posts: 7,011 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    “The best place in the world to ski is where you’re skiing that day”

WM
    BdeckerbojansChef23
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,260 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    He gave us wonderful movies to stoke us. Thanks.

My mom dated him. My Dad would grumble "you always know who the mother is."

Eric
    sunvalleylawBruce_Butterfieldjipster43
  • WishWish Posts: 7,011 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Great write up from the Seattle Times.

https://goo.gl/jRZaW2
    sunvalleylaw
  • ColeGiacopuzziColeGiacopuzzi Posts: 364 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited January 25
    I remember going to see the premiere of Impact when I was 11 years old, just to see the water ski segment in it. Always loved his voice. The quote I always remember him saying..."If you don’t do it now, you’ll only be a year older when you do.” -WM
    Cole Giacopuzzi • Radar Skis
    sunvalleylaw
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 740 Crazy Baller
    Sad day. One of the biggest influences in my ski life. Quite possibly one of the reasons I started skiing at age 2. My dad used to turn to channel 13 the action sports channel in Jackson Wyoming at the time and his videos were always on. I idolized people like Glenn plake, Scot Schmidt, Kim Riechelm. Pretty sure that MSP, and especially Teton Gravity all took notes to start their thriving ski movie business. Was a joy to go the theater here in Boise and watch his last ski film... epic as always! Rest well buddy and hope there is never ending snow up there!
    JordansunvalleylawBdecker
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 87 Baller
    All hail Warren, his creativity blew the wind that drove skiing and shear adventure. I didn't miss an opportunity to see his incredible films. Thank you Mr. Miller
    sunvalleylaw
  • east tx skiereast tx skier Posts: 595 Solid Baller
    edited January 29
    Warren was a pioneer and among the greatest advocates for his chosen sport I can think of. His book, "Wine, Women, Warren, & Skis" is worth picking up.

And remember, "They say it always is darkest before the dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's a good time to do it."
    Perpetual Longline Baller. Tyler Ski Club, Tyler, Texas.
    My real name is in my profile.

www.tylerskiclub.com
    sunvalleylawLovell
  • pudgyskierpudgyskier Posts: 17 Baller
    Bar at Bottom of ski hill has been playing his movies every afternoon for last 3 days.
    " You can only do four things with your skis: turn right, turn left, go straight, or sell them"
    Pudgy Baller
  • pudgyskierpudgyskier Posts: 17 Baller
    Film clip of large lady and skinny guy on chair together in the late 1960's.
    "this couple is hip and groovy………………………..he's groovy.
    Pudgy Baller
    "Never eat at a restaurant that has a bowling trophy on the cash register."

www.tylerskiclub.com
    “I won’t ruin a good story with the absolute truth.”
    sunvalleylaw
    "On the other hand, you have different fingers."

www.tylerskiclub.com
    Jordan
    @MarcusBrown made a cool tribute to Warren Miller.

Sorry, I'm on my phone and it's too hard to link it. I saw it on Pugski.com in the videos section of the forums. Absolutely worth viewing!

Eric
    Jody_SealDW
    Up in Tahoe now (interesting drive in zero-zero visibility and the Truckus is not great in snow. That guy going the other way when I was manuvering down Dollar Hill was sure surprised - but I missed him and never got past a sideslide. I made it.). At a real computer now so I can link it.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/marcus-browns-tribute-to-warren-miller.9554/#post-233104

Eric
    ChunkydDWigkya
  • jpattigrjpattigr Posts: 85 Baller
    Sad Part, Warren was not even mentioned at the Academy Awards, at the end they list people that passed away and still no mention. Warren Miller was a true legend and awesome film maker! RIP
  • HallpassHallpass Posts: 92 Baller
    edited April 13
    If anyone is interested, read Warren's autobiography "Freedom Found." His movies were cool, but the life this guy led was just unbelievable. He was a pioneer of ski/action films, skiing itself, surfing, and lightweight catamarrans. Played basketball for USC. Was the first to sell Nylon laces for the old leather ski boots. An accomplished cartoonist. He survived a sinking ship in the Navy. He hung out with anyone that was anyone in the ski industry, not to mention all the other sports; Ski buddies with CEOs of the world's largest companies; dined and skied with President's and Kings from around the world. Just crazy all the stuff this guys ended up in the thick of it all. Closest thing to a real life "Forest Gump Life" that I've ever read about. *** Warning, he was in his late 80s when the book was written, so the stories can drag on a bit - kind of like stories from our grandparents.
    eleeskiMateo Vargas