Ski clubs in Dallas

IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,025 Crazy Baller
Hi all,
There is a potential that I might be moving down to Dallas for a job and before I get too far into this I was wondering if anyone knows of any ski clubs down there with a club boat that are reasonably priced. This will be my first job out of college, so I won’t have the expendable income that a lot of people on here have. If moving down there meant not being able to ski for a number of years until I can afford my own boat, that would be a non starter for me so any comments are appreciated.

Comments

• bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 388 Crazy Baller
    triple j ski ranch, deans lake, dfw ski school and ski haven. there are many more lakes around here but they would require some sort of lot buy in.

• IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,025 Crazy Baller
    Thanks @bigtex2011 do any of these have club boats?
  • blinddogblinddog Posts: 51 Baller
    He would be working in Richardson if he gets this job, so he'd be living around north Dallas somewhere. Looks like Dean's Lake might be closest. Anybody know anything about membership info, costs, etc. for any of the lakes?
  • Onside135Onside135 Posts: 381 Solid Baller
    edited January 25
    @Ilivetoski...I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to ski in the Dallas area. It may not be as convenient as you'd like, but you'll find a way, I'm sure.

Also, a lot of folks on this site may have "expendable" income now because they prioritized appropriately when they were younger. Skiing is important, but it might not be the most important thing when you're looking to start your career right out of college...
    keithh2oskierBrady
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,143 Mega Baller
    edited January 25
    Deans lake is the main private lake with memberships. Lucky lake in farmersville used to, but I’m not sure if they still do. The other thing to keep in mind is that you won’t have any trouble hooking up with skiers at some of the closer lakes and working out some sort of arrangement.
    There are 4 lakes within 45 minutes of Richardson and several more within 2 hrs.
    Definitely many more options than when I moved to the area 30 years ago and a ski site was at the top of my list.
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
    mjump
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 739 Crazy Baller
    I am sure there are plenty of skiers out there that wouldn’t mind giving you a pull as long as you bring some gas $, and maybe beer. This is why we love the ski community. Seems to work most places you go.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,733 Mega Baller
    Somewhat disagree with @Onside135. I moved to Natick right out of school because it offered a location in the heart of the "128 Tech Belt" where I'd have no trouble finding software work AND there was a tournament ski club here.

Has worked out nicely. :)

Technically, I didn't consider it "the most important thing," but it was up there. Plenty of opportunity around Dallas, so I see every reason that skiing should inform the final details of your location decision.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,459 Crazy Baller
    Checking the USA Waterski club listings and tournament calendars can be helpful too.
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 388 Crazy Baller
    hi @llivetoski yes they all have boats at the sites. I would guess on average they are 2500 per year ish. Feel free to look me up to catch a set from time to time. I live South of Downtown by about 20 minutes. Feel free to PM me
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 613 Crazy Baller
    edited January 27
    @Ilivetoski Catch a set with bigtex when you can i sure miss my times there!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 655 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I looked at a early 2000's model Malibu at one of the sites a few years ago. It was about an hour from McKinney. Lake was lined with cattails. Can't remember the name but a great group of guys and they had a club boat. Best of luck finding a site.
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,121 Crazy Baller
    @gt2003 Your probably thinking of Willow Bend ski club. Not sure if anyone is skiing out there now
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 706 Crazy Baller
    Plus he's @bigtex2011 !
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • LakeOneSkierLakeOneSkier Posts: 231 Baller
    Does anyone have contact info for Dean's Lake? While my son was checking out UNT earlier this week I was checking out ski lakes. The Denton area may be in our future. :-)
    Baller Index: -31.67
  • LakeOneSkierLakeOneSkier Posts: 231 Baller
    Nevermind, found it in the SCR guide.
    Baller Index: -31.67