Shipping a SKI: UPS vs FedEx??

david_skidavid_ski Posts: 88 Baller
edited February 1 in Skis Fins Bindings
I have received many ski's over the years from both FedEx and UPS. It is now time for me to ship a ski from west coast to east coast.

What shippers do ballers prefer to ship a ski in the original cardboard box?

Comments

• scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,751
    USPS has always worked out fine for me and is the least expensive. I recently shipped a ski insured for $700 for a total of $41.60.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 254 Baller
    anyone try shipskis.com ???
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,281 Crazy Baller
    The important thing to know about FedEx and UPS is to save $, go to the actual shipping terminal. Places like the UPS Store charge high fees on top of the UPS charges.

I also have had good luck with USPS.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,834 Mega Baller
    @Bill22 huh? Ups store uses the same rates you get if you pay with a shipper account.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • MuskokaKyMuskokaKy Posts: 250 Baller
    UPS
  • MickeyThompsonMickeyThompson Posts: 110 Baller
    edited February 1
    USPS works best for me.
    edited February 1
    @oldjeep Aren't they franchises that are locally owned? They have to make $ somehow.

Maybe they only charge higher fees to average Joe without an account. The UPS store quoted me $49 and at the terminal only $29 (two different skis, going to different states).

Edit: I left ups store and shipped the ski by USPS for $39.

Also, charged high rates at Staples shipping by FedEx, ski was only going from VA to PA and cost $47. They have gotta be charging extra.

• BCMBCM Posts: 153 Baller
    I always package, measure/weigh and then shop around. Sometimes FedEx is cheapest, others UPS. USPS can be a pain for those receiving shipments in a rural area, they won't drop a package of that size at my house, only give me a slip to come pick it up at the post office. The USPS hours are near identical to my work schedule, I have had to let things sit there for a week or two before I could take off early to get to the post office.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,689 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I did US Postal a few months ago was just over $40 insured for $1000. I had an original ski box I try to keep one around just for that purpose in the crawl space.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,469 Administrator
    UPS has never let me down. i have an account so drop off at UPS store costs me nothing extra

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

No doubt UPS has the best service.
  • dbskidbski Posts: 197 Crazy Baller
    I ship all my skis USPS, no problems.
    Rick Bohn
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 404 Crazy Baller
    I have had great luck with FedEx ground even to and from the west coast they are quick, I get a small Amex corporate card discount off their rates and they have had the best tracking options for a long time. UPS works well too, and they have improved their tracking over the last few years.
    LZywicki1