Perfect Pass for 03 Response lxi

aspskiaspski Posts: 81 Baller
I'm buying an 03 rlxi this spring but it doesn't have the perfect pass on it. It has the 335 monsoon engine.
Is there a used market for this or am I forced into buying new or from a dealer?

Comments

• vtjcvtjc Posts: 174 Baller
    edited February 12
    SIA Speed Control Classifieds
    Complete systems seem hard to come by. You could also try ebay.
    brody
  • vtjcvtjc Posts: 174 Baller
    edited February 12
    double post can delete
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,365 Crazy Baller
    Is the Lxi DBW?

The DBW drive by wire units are a lot easier to find because of left overs after upgrading to ZO. My buddy Rod has a complete PP DBW system from a Malibu. I can contact him @rodb for you.
  • aspskiaspski Posts: 81 Baller
    @Bill22 That is a great question, I don't know if its drive by wire or not. How would I find out?
  • GregHindGregHind Posts: 277 Baller
    03 is not DBW. Buy a brand new mechanical version. You get the latest software which is a lot lot better. Go for z box if you course ski.
    Forget second hand the savings are not worth what you lose
    Bill22m_pagsGWaterski
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 479 Solid Baller
    03 would not be DBW.. Mechanical system. Worth a look for second hand systems but not easy to find.
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,365 Crazy Baller
    After I made that post I was thinking the last time this came up the Malibu experts said 07 DBW was standard?
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 794 Crazy Baller
    It is going to cost you more in the long run if you buy a used unit and PP will tell you the same thing. Second the comment above, go new and get the right stuff.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,326 Mega Baller
    I am fairly certain the 03 is still a throttle cable. I would probably pony up and get it new. I put PP in my 02 LX with the Monsoon about 12 years ago. I started with Classic and upgraded to Stargazer. I would get a new Stargazer with zbox if you ski the course. If not skiing the course go with Stargazer.
    Mark Shaffer
  • m_pagsm_pags Posts: 62 Baller
    I have the same motor in an 03' Response (definitely Cable) and from my experience you'll want the latest version of PP 3 Event or you won't be happy.
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 244 Baller
    edited February 13
    i have an 03 SLxi and those years are mechanical. The main thing that is hard about the Malibu is that a used gauge is VERY hard to find. Back in those days they had a split gauge - mine died and I think a lot of them did - it was a bad design. I actually put a Nautique gauge in mine to get by last year.

You can get a new PP gauge that says Malibu but it will only work with Stargazer, so you are really forced to buy new if you want a matching gauge.
  • JmoskiJmoski Posts: 204 Baller
    edited February 13
    +1 on going with a new gauge - some of the older ones, like the original PP gauge in my ‘06 Nautique, crapped out over time due to moisture problems.

The newer gauge has resolved the issue.
  • DWDW Posts: 1,761 Crazy Baller
    @apskier : as noted the used PP market has dried up a lot. There are 3 sources for used that I scoured, SIA, Great Lakes Skipper and your basic ebay/Amazon search. Also note that older PP systems are really no longer being serviced by them, check their website news section for details.
  • aspskiaspski Posts: 81 Baller
    Thanks guys, I think I will look into contacting perfect pass directly to get the entire setup.
    foxriveratMISkier
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,326 Mega Baller
    My gauge from PP is 10 years old and has moisture issues. When we have had a lot of rain and it gets damp under the cover of the boat it takes a few hours for it to dry out so I can see the gauge. I suspect I am going to need a new gauge soon.
    Mark Shaffer