FlowPoint TV S5 E1: Paradise Found

HortonHorton Posts: 24,469 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

Murrskischafer6ballssantangelolazznpvysohlidBruce_ButterfieldthagerMarkSAUwalleyeBill22SkiJayJWebSki

Comments

• jhughesjhughes Posts: 703 Crazy Baller
    Awesome video at a legendary and familiar venue. As the guy who started skiing JUST AFTER college :'( I wish this would have come out in 1997!
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 411 Crazy Baller
    Is it too late for a 50+ y/o to join a college ski team?
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 970 Mega Baller
    edited February 20
    Hope for the sport - the girl that says "I'm going to buy a boat before I buy a house!". That is the kind of enthusiasm required to save us!
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    MuskokaKysavaiusiniBruce_Butterfield
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,689 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I can attest that what is said in the video is true: Changed my life forever.

For 20 years after college we partied like collegians for one week each summer at @razorskier1 home with our collegiate ski friends and their growing families. It was dubbed by the crew to be "Club Ross" or for short simply "Club". Best friends ever...second family really. Ate dinner this weekend with two of those families--"G$'s" (G-money) family came from Chicago and we ate dinner at the home of the "Fat Cat's" near St. Paul. G$ and crew made some time to go over and visit Jim as well.

Watching slide shows of those weeks at Jim's is amazing; the buoys, the boards, the boats, the footing, the bags, the cards, the pranks, the kegs, the kids(including the adult ones), the water...put that in a glass n stir it up and you have incredible fun among life-long friends that began with collegiate skiing.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Wishsantangelowalleye
  • WishWish Posts: 7,009 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Great video with a little shout to the legendary film maker Warren Miller towards the end. Won't be long before MB becomes as legendary as a film maker in our world. Well done and makes me wish 2 things. 1. Wish the cut off for collegent skiing was a bit lower here in FL...I think my daughter would have joined a team. 2. Wish I had known you didn't have to be some kind of top level skier to join a team back when I was looking into schools. Cest la vie (such is life)
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 741 Crazy Baller
    Well done again @MarcusBrown ! I have been a skier since I was young, but never knew the college teams were so big! Wish I would have now.... maybe my girls will be interested since they are skiing at 6 & 3. Look like so much fun. Need videos like this to hit the big screen like Warren Miller and TGR so people can see how awesome skiing is.
  • lukewrightlukewright Posts: 3 Baller
    Most of UT's team consists of people who had never skied or people who had skied once or twice at a summer camp or similar. We had a blast at nats and the video came out awesome.

Best decision I've made this far in college for sure.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,031 Mega Baller
    Awesome video. I never knew that existed when I went to college or I probably would have made a different decision.
    Mark Shaffer
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 967 Solid Baller
    @MarcusBrown once again a fantastic view of our truly amazing sport. I want to be those kids in the video. Thank you again for your talents!
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,687
    @MarcusBrown ...Another GREAT job..Thanks so much for giving back so much to the sport we all Love !!!
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    Bulldog
  • smalorsmalor Posts: 63 Baller
    @MarcusBrown
    Never had the opportunity to take part in Collegiate Skiing but after seeing your video, sure wish I had. Wonderfully done! and please accept the following as the high compliment it is meant.......your tone and narration of your video felt very Warren Miller esque. ....Love It!!!
    Bulldog
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,689 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So @MarcusBrown how do we utilize flowpoint paradise found to market to collegians? How do we reach them? Who watching a vid like that (granted they make it to the end and realize they don't have to be able to blast off the ramp or rip balls--like all they really have to be able to do is ski a little and belly whop and cheer a lot) wouldn't want to ski in college?
    All my lifelong best friends are from the college ski team. I showed up as a kid that grew up skiing behind outboards and had seen a course a little...running 2 handed passes at 15 off 30 and 32 mph.
    Got behind that stars and stripes with regular course time and soon it was into 35 off at 36. At regionals it was hoping for sub-par conditions so that maybe...just maybe I had a shot at @JeffSurdej . Then it was basic (really basic) trick runs...side/side/180/180/360/360/drop a ski and fit in a couple more sides. Then it became being just another ride-over on the jump that got more team points.
    The best part, though, was the stories, the road trips, the people, the friends all framed around water skiing. Geez I was in heaven summers in Iowa City with G$ having access to a boat and the course on the rez.
    Most people on our campus, however, had NO idea there was a ski team.
    I'm just thinking out loud...how do we reach incoming college freshman who enroll at schools that have a ski team? How do we let them know they don't need to be comp skiers to participate?
    Just thinking out loud...I really believe collegiate and then post collegiate transition is key to maintenance or growth of our sport in terms of boats/gear etc that all supports then the top comp arena or at least continues to provide a platform.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 970 Mega Baller
    How about a remake of Back to School featuring a ski team with @horton cast as a new-age Rodney Dangerfield?
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    lazzn
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,281 Crazy Baller
    Awesome. That looks like a blast!
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 97 Baller
    Totally a blast!!

Makes me wish I was 30 yrs younger. I loved skiing even when I was in high school and college. Unfortunately my Lake didn’t allow a course and I chose an engineering school in the UP of Michigan that gave me 100% scholarship... but no ski team.

DaveD
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,687
    @MarcusBrown ... I am so proud of how you are giving back to this sport, GREAT JOB.

I was fortunate, when we moved from Kauai to Texas in 1998, to work with the Texas A&M ski team. Great kids, and it was really a blast. My Daughter, who was only 12, got to ski with them every day. We were the only house, on a private Lake, that we shared with these kids.
    I wish we had a ski team when I was in college, which was an Aviation University in Daytona Beach. These are such formative years, that can effect your whole life. We had a Ski Diving Team that competed Nation wide, and the comradery we got to share with other colleges was a really tremendous experience. I am sure that a lot of these kids will ski there whole lives, just from the positive experience they had.

Once again, great job Marcus!!!
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,473 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Great video. It gave me nightmares. I was having a blast with Greenwood and Skidawg but realized I was living with Horton.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    Horton