Ski boots- need advice please.

moskimoski Posts: 39 Baller
Been Skiing on my dad’s 65” 1996 HO Mach 1 with HO rubber boot (Velcro around back of boot) and a RTP. I’m left foot forward. Other extra info if it matters: 40 yrs old, 5’8” and 150 lbs. Just average skier. Open water skiing but a buddy puts up a ski course back in a cove. 15 and 22 off at 30ish mph. My new to me 2015 Response TXI has zero off so my wife will pull me at correct speed.

Anyway I have a 66” 2016 radar vapor I just bought. Few questions:
1) looking at MOB release system. I tore my left knee (I’m left foot forward) 5 years ago and I prefer not to crash and have the ski helicopter on me and torque my knee. So that’s the main reason looking at release system. George Opser gave me good advice just let go of the handle lol.

2) What boot system Radar boot with RTP or HRTP with or without the MOB release system???
3). Other boot system I’m looking at is Reflex with RTP or HRTP, possibiliy on the MOB release system as well.

Thank you in advance for advice.
Moski

Comments

• hemlockhemlock Posts: 103 Baller
    FWIW, I have a 2017 Radar Vapor Graphite, with the Radar Vapor front boot and RTP.
    I've only skied one season on it so far and haven't had a bad wipeout but feel way more confident (and safe) in the boot than I have on any other rubber boots in the past.
  • skialexskialex Posts: 673 Crazy Baller
    @moski here some things you might want to consider before deciding, this is my opinion not necessarily everyone would agree.
    Mechanically released systems require at least some maintenance skills in order to be safe or safer than rubber/hybrid boots. if set correctly, releasing is more predictable.
    Rubber/hybrid boots you only rinse them and check mounting screws every now and then, you only need a Phillips screwdriver (I carry a tool bag).
    in my experience when releasing from a heel released system, you oftenly released towards the ski whereas on a rubber boot you usually released away from the ski. So it is better not to release so often. B)
    Top skier are having success on all kind of bindings meant for course skiing.
    So if you are more a set and leave it, T-Factor or Vapor front and maybe a RTP is the way to go. If you want lighter, more responsive, more predictable releasings (debatable) and cooler looking especially when combined with a RTP and willing to meticulously check before every set and maintain when needed, then go for a mechanically released system like MOB or Reflex or the other brands that use a reflex release unit.
    I personally ski on Reflex for the past 11 years with few mods to suit my style, i would though prefer a boot designed exclusively for watersking with a mechanical release unit.
    Alex,

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,333 Mega Baller
    I find the Vapor boot very easy to use and comfortable as long as you don't over tighten the top bungee. I would recommend sticking with an RTP if that is what you have always used. No big reason to move to a rear boot.

My son uses a Reflex has for years and loves it. I do think I need to do some work on it though as I haven't done much in years. I used a Reflex for a fall and it took me 5-6 sets to get used to it. I went back to a Vapor (actually an old Strada) when struggling with a ski (it wasn't the boot I never got that ski to work for me) and have been very happy with it.
    Mark Shaffer
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 655 Solid Baller
    I would guess:
    The 'both feets in' welcro is the safest system for rotation falls.
    Dbl boots are maybe just slighetly safer than rtp for rotation falls as well.

Any system has pros and cons.

Maybe a poll on the subject?

Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • moskimoski Posts: 39 Baller
    I tore my left ACL 5 yrs ago and I’m left foot forward. I’m probably overthinking this, well I am overthinking lol. Just want to get a good dependable set up and I don’t care to go thru what I went thru 5 yrs ago.
    @hemlock — thank u. Good to hear.
    @skialex — thank u. Dang great info and things to think about.
    @Chef23 — that’s what I think I’m leaning towards do vapor boot with RTP or see what the the HRTP/half RTP feels like.
    @gsm_peter — yeah maybe do a poll. I do agree double boots being the safest.
    But —
    I have skied and tried the double boots and that just feels really odd and uncomfortable. Maybe the ski felt weird too. Maybe just something need to get used too.
    gsm_peter
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,333 Mega Baller
    Regarding a poll there has been lots of discussion about it and there are opinions but there is no concrete evidence on which is safer. You can do one if you want but you will find mixed opinions from different people.
    Mark Shaffer
    edited February 28
    Does it take a bit to get used to double boots?
    Well I guess that’s personal preference and comfort level is different for everyone.
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 499 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @moski double boots on Velcro are not the safest in a rotational fall, and talk about maintenance issues... Changing to double boots is not going to help you at your level of skiing unless you are having problems with keeping your rear foot in place. Even then, the Radar HRT or the R style would be a better choice. And a RTP is only less safe if you cannot depend on your front boot to release in a rotational fall. A poll will give you a lot of different opinions, you still will have to decide what will work best for you. Considering you prior injury and your concern for safety, you are headed in the right direction...
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    edited February 28
    @mmosley899 — thank u for advice/info.
    Double boots:
    I do know the double boots felt odd. Maybe takes some getting used too. Whether I screw them down to ski or use your system im not sure.

As far as my original thoughts and my current thoughts and my level— front boot be Vapor or reflex on the MOB release with the HRTP or RTP. Guess I can buy both HRTP and RTP and see which I like.
    It’s been good to hear different opinions on which front boot. Some like the Vapor and other like the Reflex due to its more rigid/stiff etc...
    I think I’m leaning towards the Vapor for front boot since I’m used to rubber boot feel.
    mmosley899
  • billbbillb Posts: 26 Baller
    Yes, double boots do take getting used to. I did it and I will not go back. Double Vapors are a great and easy setup. I have them and love them. Like Chef said, don't overtighten the top bungee. That is tempting and not hard to do, but negatively impacts release characteristics.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,564 Crazy Baller
    I switched to HO dbl boots after breaking my front ankle. Yes it took a few rides to get used to it. Now almost 30 years and a few boot upgrades later I'm still in dbl's, the Vapor Carbitex.
  • Fam-manFam-man Posts: 153 Baller
    I probably had the same set up, mid-90’s Mach 1 with rubber front and rear toe. My rear had a heel cup. Had a few OTF’s that were hard on my front ankle.
    Been a couple seasons on a radar senate with double vectors. I found the performance, fit and comfort of the vector very similar to the old adjustable, rear Velcro rubber boot. I also found the ski quite an adjustment initially.
    This season moving to a radar vapor front, haven’t skied yet but do notice it is much stiffer laterally and forces more forward ankle flex.

Based on the vector release I’ve experienced and what I’ve read about the vapor I feel much more confident if (when) I crash the release will prevent injuries I experienced on the old gear.