Miscellaneous waterski inventions

HortonHorton Posts: 25,040 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Comments

• dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,018 Mega Baller
    I think I've seen that somewhere before

Is it time to ski, yet?
    thagermjump
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,040 Administrator
    @dchristman in my experience that design has got to hurt like hell

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• eddie_roberts_jreddie_roberts_jr Posts: 437 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Torque. I had one for awhile. They hurt like hell just to ski with. Would've broke your leg off in a fall. Might've skied 100 yards before deciding they needed to come off.
    adamhcaldwellbishop8950
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,107 Mega Baller
    @dchristman Put a full picture of that ski up please! One of my favorite top designs.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Nando
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 254 Solid Baller
    @dchristman Do the bottom too. Best tunnel ever!
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 254 Solid Baller
    Kinda like @eddie_roberts_jr 's new design I skied on today!
    @thager @Mike Gile @eddie_roberts_jr I didn't mean to start an off topic Torque-fest (other pictures here). Just pointing out the prior "art" :wink: .

Let's see some more miscellaneous inventions! I don't know if Gordon Rathbun is on BOS, but anybody have a picture of the teeth he had screwed into the tip of his ski back in the 80's? My memory is they were off-set for more effective braking on one side.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,801
    edited March 11
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,040 Crazy Baller
    Can't read anything anymore on this site @Horton , I'm out
    Sr sl driver & judge
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,351 Historical Baller
    One possible innovative idea came from Chuck Stearns when he was at the Hall of Fame. Was a small fin sticking out of the side of a Sl ski, about at the binding level. I never heard more from any one who might have tried it. But, to me, it sure like it had potential to do fillet O'skier on a fall.
  • taptap Posts: 72 Solid Baller
    Had a random idea that I'll never get around to actually trying out, maybe someone with more time on their hands...

@Gloersen got me thinking about ways for a driver to real time 'monitor' their boat path. I'm thinking Boat Wiskers. It would consist of two or three lengths of wiskers that are attached to toggle switchs at their root, the wisker array would be attached to the starboard and port sides of the hull with a suction cup base. The toggle switches would then be hard wired LEDs that could be placed on the dash right infront of the driver. The wisker array would be placed such that they would tag the boat path bouys if you got too close to them. The wisker lengths would be staggered so that you trip more wiskers the closer you are to the boat guide and thereby light up more LEDs.

A very simple, no brains system, just some switches, a battery and some LEDs.

Won't provide any feedback between the boat guides, but would provide great instant feedback at the boatguides.

dchristman9400
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,050 Mega Baller
    @tap You're probably a couple generations too late! Although curb feelers on a slalom boat would likely spark a whole new list of nicknames for the drivers!!

Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    Wish
    edited July 20
    @klindy Ball Feelers ... maybe they'll be standard equipment on the 2020 Nautique
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    klindyBG1Horton
  • taptap Posts: 72 Solid Baller
    That's fantastic. Never heard of such a thing.