Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going back to -22 to start the season

cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 685 Crazy Baller
Following taking the winter off with a drought winter in Ca and a miracle March with an entire winters worth of percip hitting us this month I've had some frustrations coming off the dock at a shorter line length I consistently nailed last fall. Another variable was I only had 3 days on my new 2018 Vapor last fall so I never really got used to how snappy the edge change is on the ski with the tendency of holding my cut too hard and long.

As a result of two crappy days at my former line length this spring/winter I am opting to go back to -22 to start. I was so hesitant because that line length is soooo different than the subsequent shorter ones AND you can get a away with many bad habits that will never aide in getting back to my former line length that I dialed last season.

The obvious reason is I have to
1) Get used to the new ski
2) Get some timing and rhythm going
3) Round 6 ball dammit

I know there are a few of you who say stay at -28 even if it means skiing 32mph or whatever, but it is simply not happening right now

Others would say 'you have to run many passes or all at -22 to shorten the line'

What do the ballers here say? I'm guessing more will agree with the second line of thought?
Vapor pro 2017
mbabiash

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 25,312 Administrator
    One pass longer makes sense. Two would not make as much sense.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,225 Crazy Baller
    Assuming that you're at your max speed, I'd have no hesitance in saying drop a line length. Lots of skiers who live where a several month layoff is normal either start a little slower or drop a line length for a few sets. No shame in that, especially since you're on a ski that's essentially new to you.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • AndreAndre Posts: 985 Crazy Baller
    I hate 22 so much that i prefer to slow the boat to 17.2 or even slower if it's really going that bad ...
    The swing of things @28 is so much better then 22 IMO...
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,426 Crazy Baller
    edited March 26
    @Andre 17.2? is that a typo?
    In gear. Hit It. Thank You!
  • Mateo_VargasMateo_Vargas Posts: 797 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @cragginshred start at 22 for a few weeks until the water warms up a little more.
    Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 668 Crazy Baller
    Shoot I feel pretty good starting the season at -22.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,225 Crazy Baller
    @Bill22 I think @Andre is referring to 17.2 seconds as opposed to actual time for 34 of 16.95.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,198 Mega Baller
    I wouldn't be starting at -28 unless I was knocking down -32 almost every time I touched it.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • adamhcaldwelladamhcaldwell Posts: 406 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited March 27
    @cragginshred - start where you normaly would. Move the fin until the ski works.

Avoid falling into the trap that you will learn a ski and it will be perfect. 99% of the time it wont.

What are the fin settings? Sounds like you might have an issue with the relationship between depth/dft and boot position.

Have any video ?
  • cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 685 Crazy Baller
    I'm actually using a progressor line so last fall I was able to forgo the -22 loop altogether and come off dock at -25 and do up to 6 straight

I was just trying to pick up where I left off, BUT I was not used to the new ski

So I agree wait for the water to warm and spend some time at -22. It's going to be 70* this week in Ca. and I had snow at my house in the foothills the past 3 weekends so it should be a drastic change!

@Andre I know what you mean about the difference from -22 to -28 swing, but I'm not there yet so back to -22!
    Vapor pro 2017
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,545 Mega Baller
    @cragginshred what line length was your hardest pass last year? That could have an impact on things.
    Mark Shaffer