Trailer hitch install problems

WBLskierWBLskier Posts: 421 Baller
So I went to get a hitch installed at Uhaul. 2014 Acura MDX. A couple of the bolt holes apparently have enough rust on the threads that the place won't touch it afraid they'll strip the threads in the holes. Local mecahnic says to get it welded but Ican't find anyone that does that. Another place says they'll drill out the holes and bolt it from the top (through bolt it I assume they mean, but not really sure). Dealer might be able to do it, but it costs an arm and a leg. I'm in MN. Anyone have a suggestion?
skibrain

Comments

• skihackerskihacker Posts: 217 Baller
    I might recommend you find another local mechanic to clean the threads then install the hitch, I would guesstimate an hour labor unless the bumper cover has to come off.
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 244 Baller
    even with rust they will go right in with a little spray and a decent sized wrench - my Honda was 6 years old when I installed my hitch and we have major rust in Ohio.
  • LarsLars Posts: 107 Baller
    I agree with @oldjeep I did the same thing on my crv when I added a hitch. It was also 3-4 years old at the time and definitely had some rust in the threads. Running a tap through the threads was the way to go.
  • JmoskiJmoski Posts: 204 Baller
    Does your MDX have a transmission cooler on it? I don’t know how they option them but given you didn’t have the hitch I wonder if you don’t have the cooler?

Honda/Acura make good engines, transmissions - not so much. I would make sure you have the cooler if your going to tow regularly.
  • SethroSethro Posts: 209 Baller
    What the others have said....same issue on my 2005 Pilot when I put a receiver on it. Proper size tap and all was good. I bought the tap before I even tried threading the bolt as I knew that’d be the case. The uhaul folks sound incompetent.
  • WBLskierWBLskier Posts: 421 Baller
    I’m Going to suck it up and go to the dealer so
    It’s done right. @jmoski good point. Only Pulling 3k lbs about 100 miles per year so should
    Be okay.
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 623 Crazy Baller
    Never ever let uhaul touch your vehicle. Never ever let uhaul touch your vehicle. Never ever let uhaul touch your vehicle. I feel like we mentioned this on another thread? Chase threads with a tap and oil and go from there.
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 440 Baller
    @WBLskier How do you know the dealer will do it right? How does the saying go... If you want something done right, do it yourself!
    KKellyKilleroldjeep
  • RINLERINLE Posts: 36 Baller
    Tow in D3 -- no overdrive. Keep the MDX out of drive the whole time -- don't waste your time with trying to use the OD when on flat roads. Set it and forget it.

I know, here comes my first panda -- we have towed off and on with our Honda Odyssey for years. Same engine tranny set up.

I went to the dealer for the tow package. The guys there said I could't tow my boat with it.
    despite the manual clearly saying I can and their selling a way overpriced tow package. I called north American Honda and they put me on the phone with an engineer. His explanation was keep it out of Drive, and that these gas engines and tranny's have the most torque when the RPMs are high, so this is where they are most efficient.

I did my own tow package -- screw the dealership.

etrailer has a video on cleaning out and re-threading for installing hitches.

Honda transmissions are supposedly crap. I sold our first Odyssey with the original tranny at 160K and towed significantly with hit. You will be fine once you get that hitch on there.

PS: I have a nice truck for towing, and may daughters jeep tows, but I will still hitch up the Nautique to the Honda when the trip calls for the room of a van.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,564 Crazy Baller
    edited April 12
    There are videos on YouTube that will help. I installed one on a Honda Pilot - same chassis as the MDX. The key is cleaning the bolt holes in the chassis well before installing. A dealer or good shop should be able to do it an an hour or so. And like @RINLE wrote, use D3. I towed our PS190, family and gear all over, up and down New England with the Pilot. Used a gravel launch most of the time too.
  • RINLERINLE Posts: 36 Baller
    Our 2nd Odyssey was 5 years old when I added the hitch to it. I hit the threads with a wire brush and a mix of 50/50 ATF / acetone. Way better than wd 40.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,978 Mega Baller
    Pretty much anything is a better lubricant than wd40. Wd40 is a water displacement spray, not a real lubricant.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 56 Baller
    +1 on the tap. Order online for $12 or whatever and do it yourself. Slow and easy with a little oil. I’ve done it on 2 trucks, I mean odyssey’s. Both were obtained w approx 50-70k miles and 3-5 yrs old I think.
    Here’s my panda moment - it’s fun to back trailer w odyssey wheelbase. Easy.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,978 Mega Baller
    > it’s fun to back trailer w odyssey wheelbase

Fun is a relative thing. I remember the "fun" of towing a 46 willys on a car dolly with my wifes old Plymouth Grand Caravan from Grand Rapid MI back to Victoria MN. Best fun you can have at 45 MPH :0
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home