Michigan State Waterski Boat

DelonousDelonous Posts: 6 Baller
Hi,

The Michigan Sate Waterski Team has started fundraising to purchase a boat. Many dealers have moved away from lease deals with collegiate teams, due to increasing boat prices and costs. Therefore our team has decided to purchase a boat!

Here's a little about our team.
Michigan State is located in East Lansing, and our site is on the Grand River about 15 minutes away from campus. We have been competing at this site since 1981 when our team was founded. Since then, we've continued on the tradition of 3 event waterskiing at a national level. We strive to be the best team in Michigan and the Midwest year after year. And our current goal is to take our club to the next level and purchase a boat for our team.

And as we are actively looking for boats, feel free to reach out if you have any advice on boats or have some that are for sale! If you are able to donate, it would be greatly appreciated!
[email protected]

For more information head over to msuwaterski.com!

Michigan State Waterski Team

Comments

• dbskidbski Posts: 208 Crazy Baller
    Being a MSU grad (many moons ago) let DBski be the first to donate. I'll ship you guys a check out tomorrow. Go Green!
    Rick Bohn
    DelonousObrienslalomMuskokaKyMattP
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,081 Mega Baller
    @Delonous, one suggestion I have for you is to get the team to put in docks and boat lifts around Lake Lansing. I’ve seen other ski teams do this to earn/raise money. The timing is right, as many are probably looking to have theirs installed about now.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    oldjeepDelonousbraindamage
  • DelonousDelonous Posts: 6 Baller
    @MISkier Our team is actually headed over to Lake Shannon this weekend for dock and hoist installations! Hopefully we will be able to expand into other lakes in the future.
    MISkierRAWSkibraindamage
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,479 Mega Baller
    What boat are you looking for?
  • DynaSkiPeteDynaSkiPete Posts: 137 Baller
    You might want to give Todd at Twin Lakes Marine in Twin Lakes Wisconsin a call. He might be able to come up with a lease on an inboard boat. Maybe not. Calling is your best method of initial contact.
    @BraceMaker, on their website, they have pictures of 3 candidate boats in various cost increments.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,978 Mega Baller
    Just a thought looking at the 3 boats. That 197 seems pretty over priced unless they are more popular in MI than they seem to be here. For that money you can get a nice couple year newer TXI.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    MISkierSkiOrDie
    I’m with @oldjeep, but I suspect they want it for the trick wake. I would prefer a different slalom option.
    I think that is one of their old boats.
  • 34mph34mph Posts: 173 Baller
    @PurdueSkier My guess that is the same dealership / company that dropped their deal they had and don't want to go down that road with them....... but who knows
    Action Tommy's and Silver Spray are all big groups, you'd think they could come up with something but then again I think all the teams have this problem.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,427 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @MISkier Tricks behind a 196? Be careful. Some tables are a problem for tricks.

Make sure you get ZO so it can pull college tournaments. Old 200s, old Mastercraft and old Malibus would be great.

Eric
    edited April 18
    @PurdueSkier Yes that was our old boat, Tommys decided not to continue our lease deal.

Thanks for all the input guys! Just to clear things up, we are looking for a low hour boat and of course speed control. Although as a team, we are trying to avoid loans/debt due to members coming and going very quickly. Currently we are looking at boats around the 15k price range, which leaves us with boats around the 2000 year.

Since we are transitioning from a lease agreement to a purchase, for a few years we will be behind an older boat. And the plan is, in a few years after saving money and selling our current boat. We will be able to afford a newer nicer boat. Let us know what you think.

Dean
    @eleeski, the boat referenced by @oldjeep and me was the 197 in their list of candidates, not the 196. I am sure you would concur the 197 is suitable for tricks.
    eleeski
    A call to Todd at Twin Lakes won't cost anything. I'm thinking he may be able to lease or rent the team a boat.
    @DynaSkiPete I'll give him a call tomorrow.
  • WoodySkierWoodySkier Posts: 56 Baller
    @Delonous I’ll for sure make a donation, also as mentioned above you might want to do docks and hoists as a fundraiser, I’d be happy to pay you to put in my dock and hoists (about an hour from East Lansing), I’d also throw in a pull behind my 200.
    MISkierbraindamageDelonousDaveD
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 973 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I was with the MSU team 94-98 back when we leased a Mastercraft. Great times and I always felt like that deal was too good to be true. One year we found someone that was willing to donate a boat as a tax write off. We accepted it and sold it and put the proceeds towards a jump ramp. Just wondering if you can finagle something like that?

The school used to reluctantly co-sign for the lease. Will the school sign up for ownership? Whos name will the boat be under?

If you had $30-40k you could get into a nice/current 3 event boat. If you then flipped it every year and assume $10k deprecation I suppose you have a model. Just fund raise $10k/yr once you have the initial boat covered. But even then, $10k/yr isn't easy!
    Obrienslalom
    @WoodySkier Thank you, and I'll message you!

@bishop8950 We are starting the process of becoming a non-profit, so hopefully our organization can sign for the boat. But in the mean time it would be our president. School said no chance they'll sign for it.
    I agree on getting a nice 30-40k boat and flipping it every year. Right not we just don't have the cash to buy it, down the line we will buy a nicer boat, just have to spend a few years saving and fundraising.
    bishop8950
  • vtjcvtjc Posts: 174 Baller
    A lease is a financial instrument, that can be obtained independent from a dealer or a boat manufacture. A local lender (bank or credit union) may be able to offer you a lease on a new or used boat. Given the high turnover on the team a lease were the current members are essentially paying for their use of the boat via a lease may make sense. If the cost of the boat being leased isn’t subsidized by a dealer or manufacturer the cost may be higher than earlier arrangements.
    RAWSki
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 453 Crazy Baller
    It's a shame. there are probably a dozen perfect boats for this application on our lake that sit on their hoists ALLSummer long.
    @rawski the funny thing is with the school year not being till August most college teams don't even need a boat lease during peak may June July and bum and borrow successfully.

Those idle boats are just sitting because kiss go back to school. If only the risk of the boat getting destroyed wasn't so high.
    I agree @Eric Kelley. We have a lot of new skiers who have their first time behind a ski boat with us. If they spend their 4 years behind a *insert boat company*, there's a decent chance they'll buy one out of college.
    Yes we run boats pretty hard, lots of hours and pulls. But I do think with the proper practices in place (working on those right now), we can take great care of any boat.
    eleeski
    @Delonous best bet is to take the seat bases out before you even use it. Make a project out of making some seat bases to use.
    I wonder what it costs to lease a boat for the summer or what ever period is needed?
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,117 Crazy Baller
    I like the idea but a lot of teams can’t even afford a 15 year old $8,000 perfect pass boat. I’m not too sure where they could get $60,000 to get started as a promo
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,117 Crazy Baller
    @DynaSkiPete typically college teams practice from April/may depending on where they are located until nationals in October
  • DWDW Posts: 1,761 Crazy Baller
    @Delonous: Good luck on securing a suitable ski boat for the upcoming season. Surprising given the number of dealers in Michigan and the relative strength of the sport in Michigan that a major college is having a challenge on their hands. For future success, make sure the team works the dealership network so that one of the kids looks at MSU as a prime school, thus 'dad' may ensure a suitable boat is available, that example has existed at an alternate (read blue) school. Given the change with boat use, I would have the team create a boat business plan for short term and long term success and it does sound like you are doing that.
    Delonous