Semi Radical Fun Tournament Rules

HortonHorton Posts: 25,048 Administrator
I was thinking to day how much fun it would be to have a tournament where skiers can chose ANY speed and the winner is the skier who gets the farthest down the rope. I would love to do this with the Pros because I think 36 is really too fast and 34.2 is really too slow for the highest possible score.

I also think it would be fun to have a rope with non-standard looks. The skiers do not know what the shortenings are. Everyone starts at the same look and the skier who runs the most balls wins.

Ideas?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

MattPBill22Obrienslalom

Comments

• jayskijayski Posts: 580 Crazy Baller
    Maybe rethink 36 is too fast thing, a certain Pro skis 38's and 39's up to 38mph...makes 36mph feel easy

I like the Crossfit ideology of show up to the lake and we have 2 days of 6 rounds of mystery...before each round it would be announced what it entails.
    schaferMattP
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,905 Mega Baller
    I would love for you to do this, too, and run it long enough to rid yourself of this bizarre "magic speed" idea.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    @Than_Bogan 35mph is a "Magic Speed"...well...in my books
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,913 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    You had me at 36 is too fast
    Scott Calderwood
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,048 Administrator
    Parker Overton can't be happy about that.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

MattP
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,048 Administrator
    Some of you may remember a pro event in Orlando six or seven years ago called Soaked. The conditions were whack so everybody skied slow. The first prelim round I think they went 32 miles an hour. By the time they got to the finals the conditions were better and they picked it up to 34 miles an hour (I think ). The last two men standing or Smith & TGas. They were stuck in an endless run off situation where they could both Crush 41 but neither of them could get out of two at 43. That got me thinking that the pros could run 41 pretty darn easy at 34 miles an hour but when they got to 43 they actually needed a little more boat speed to get further. And that is the basis of my thinking that there's a perfect boat speed between 34 and 36 where the world's best skiers could actually round the most balls.

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,486 Mega Baller
    @Horton just don't think I'd ever drop a ski with a bottle under my chin
    @MattP what's to disagree about?
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,082 Mega Baller
    I’m good with all of that, but if you ski after dark, don’t forget the safety cigar. Spotter needs to see ya, don’t cha know.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    jayskiBraceMaker
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,905 Mega Baller
    @Horton I think what you're forgetting is that those pros have equipment that is hyper-optimized for 36 mph. Going slower is such a huge advantage that it dominates that at first, such that 35 is easier. But after you slow down non-trivially, then some equipment changes need to happen.

A fellow named @Horton seems to be able to run -39 at 18 mph using equipment not even designed for the same sport. If you get to fully optimize the equipment for it, slower is super-advantageous. Of course, this doesn't continue forever -- it cannot be done at 0 mph. But the peak easiness is not at 35 mph.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    JWebSkiDefectiveDave
  • DefectiveDaveDefectiveDave Posts: 477 Solid Baller
    @Than_Bogan ,

I disagree. At 0 mph, I'll swim the course at 43-off while dragging the boat behind me. Of course, path might be a bit off.

45-off will be tougher, I don't think I'm tall enough.
    Than_Bogan