Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help from gear Heads (Centurion won't start)

skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,160 Open or 55K Rated Skier
Our 2014 centurion won't start, It has a new battery, blower and horn works, kill switch is in place, throttle is in neutral. turn the key over and Nada, nuthin" ??? Any input is appreciated, @Horton - sit this one out!
Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!

Comments

• BdeckerBdecker Posts: 248 Solid Baller
    I’m certainly not qualified to offer much help, but make sure to snug up the wing nuts on the new battery with a wrench. Finger tight isn’t good enough. As you are getting nothing it sounds electrical.
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,160 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Definitely electrical, kill switch not making connection or a reset button on engine somewhere?
  • SethroSethro Posts: 225 Baller
    Neutral Safety switch on the transmission? I've had one of those go bad.
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 835 Crazy Baller
    not sure what sort of connectors are on kill switch or neutral switch, but if they're spades, check them carefully to ensure they're fully seated.
  • DanoDano Posts: 100 Baller
    not sure what system this is. I would check the starter circuit. Could be a bad relay or ignition switch.
  • Keith MenardKeith Menard Posts: 374 Crazy Baller
    I agree with @Sethro ...that's the first place I would look.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,046 Crazy Baller
    Friends 2014 has had some intermittent issues not starting. We think it is a bad connection somewhere in the neutral switch. Jiggling the shift lever has worked so far.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,681 Mega Baller
    Have a multimeter around? I like to go straight to the starter and see what's happening when you throw the switch. No voltage at the solenoid go upstream, voltage no crank you look at the starter.
  • slvrbulitslvrbulit Posts: 171 Baller
    I would check it like @BraceMaker said.
    Thanks for input, I will check the shift lever first @Kelvin
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 366 Crazy Baller
    Personally I'd use a multi meter and check the kill switch, the neutral switch and any related relays/solenoids before I go to the starter.
  • WolfeieWolfeie Posts: 165 Baller
    If it is a kill switch problem, won't the engine still turn but just not fire? Would check the neutral switch.
    Brad Wolfe - Ski West Village, Arvin, Ca; Radar Pro Build, SN 200, I can see Ball of Spray headquarters from my lake house.
  • GarGar Posts: 260 Baller
    Take a hammer tap on the starter while someone is trying to start it!
  • GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 127 Baller
    Had the same problem with my 2016 CP. It started as an intermittent problem and progress to just wouldn't start. Under warrantee took it to the dealer. A replaced neutral safety switch solved the problem. Smooth sailing since.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 786 Crazy Baller
    What @BraceMaker said. If no voltage anywhere on starting circuit check the kill switch cause it's easy. Not sure if kill switch prevents starter function though..
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,223 Mega Baller
    Anything been changed lately? Other than battery I mean.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,972 Mega Baller
    bypass the kill switch and you'll know for sure
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,004 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited April 25
    @skidawg we had a similar issue. It ended up being a connection on the wiring harnes.

First check the gray barrel connector where the boat harness hooks to the engine bobtail. I believe on the rear of the engine, drivers side.

There is also a connection on the other end of the boat harness where it hooks into the dash. Pretty sure that was where our problem was. Pop the four dash screws out and you can get to it.

Of course we checked neutral safety, throttle, kill switch and ignition but that was all good. Took us a while to find the issue because it was intermittent.

Let us know what you figure out
  • John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 291 Crazy Baller
    @skidawg I have a 2015 Centurion, recently similar problem. When I checked power at the ignition switch with my meter, I found there was not power there. Ultimately I found out the wires on the starter were not tightened down (there are 3 red wires attached to my starter). Tightened the wires and all is well.
    Loose wire/kill switch-found it-thanks for the input
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,223 Mega Baller
    I was going to mention that. Had that exact thing last summer in my 196! Glad you found it!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • Mateo_VargasMateo_Vargas Posts: 797 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Nothing like being in the boat checking for Short’s.

Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet