Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Timer to Ski School

Hi All,
First time posting. I'm 34 and have been slalom skiing since I was about 10 years old; primarily open water, but i've had the opportunity to run the course on occasion. In May I'll be realizing a longstanding goal of mine which is to go to a ski school for 4 days. I hope to do this on a yearly basis going forward. I've never been coached in the sport, but have always had an strong desire to course ski and progress in the sport. I would consider myself a novice skier and I don't think I have too many bad habits (but I guess i'll see shortly). My question is perhaps broad, but any tips or advice for a first-time ski school attendee? Appreciate it!

Comments

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,681 Mega Baller
    Get a belt sander and start trying to stop it bare hand. Then suicide sprint squats and pull ups
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 406 Crazy Baller
    bring duct tape or something for your hands. try to get a little time on the water before going to keep from getting sore.

have fun
  • LanceHCookLanceHCook Posts: 22 Baller
    I was in exactly the same situation as you this past winter--except I'm 50. I went to The Boarding School and got coached by Freddie Winter which was a fantastic experience. I have decades old bad habits which are really tough to unlearn and it seemed like all the coaching I got while sitting in the water exited my brain by the time I had re-started and was heading toward the course. Freddie was great because he didn't overwhelm me with jargon or a laundry list of critique, he concentrated on fundamentals.

If I had any advise to give it's don't get frustrated, understand that it's a learning process and tape the shit out of your hands, mine were oozing puss like a hooker at a leper convention.
  • dhofertdhofert Posts: 202 Baller
    I too got my first formal training this week. I'm actually sitting in the plane now. I too went to The Boarding School and both Freddie and Travis were great to work with. I have never ran the course before and I ran all 6 multiple times on my last set of the week. My hands hold up but I am very very sore. Get on the water a bit before you go if you can. Keep an open mind and have fun.

• BroussardBroussard Posts: 349 Solid Baller
    Make sure that you are skiing at home before you head off. If you're used to skiing 3 sets a week, trying to ski 3 or so sets a day for 4 days straight will destroy your body.
    Andre Broussard - Louisiana
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 786 Crazy Baller
    edited April 28
    First, GO!
    Second, get to where you can ski 8 passes without breathing hard before you leave your home site.
    Finally, don't feel like you need to ski 3-4 sets per day. When i go for coaching I alternate 1 and 2 set days. 4 sets per day is counterproductive IMHO. At least stop when you can no longer hold a proper skiing position.
    Coaching is the best $$ you can spend on your skiing.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • albertabradalbertabrad Posts: 3 Baller
    edited April 28
    Great (and hilarious) advice and insight, thanks everyone! Definitely going to try and get on the water once or twice beforehand; been a late spring here.
  • DynaSkiPeteDynaSkiPete Posts: 137 Baller
    It will seem like a very long four days. Your hands will get beat up and all your body will ache. So you will go back again and again . . . . . .